Author Topic: Your Daily Dose of Gaming.  (Read 65244 times)

BonkThis

Re: Your Daily Dose of Gaming.
« Reply #525 on: May 15, 2007, 02:15:13 AM »
I really want to play Kaboom! again but every set of Atari 2600 paddles that I have ever owned have broken the instant I have looked at them.  Kaboom! is a truly awesome game, maybe even Activision's finest during an era where they made nothing but good games.

The Atari 800 version is the PWNAGE.

How does this rank against the 5200 version? I thought the 5200 trumped the 2600.

How about "Blue Print" for the 5200

FM-77

« Reply #526 on: May 15, 2007, 05:07:11 AM »
DS
Lunar Knights
Dragon Quest Rocket Slime

Lunar Knights keeps getting better. Really fun game, but the story sucks shit. Typical japanese crap. Makes me feel ashamed for playing it, the dialogue is so embarrassing.

Rocket Slime seems pretty fun. Again, crap story, but the gameplay's interesting, and so is the music (lots of weird voice samples in it).

SuperDeadite

« Reply #527 on: May 15, 2007, 04:08:39 PM »
Lastest shopping spree got me:

PCE
Alien Crush
Magical Chase
Sylphia

They're all really fine games I must say. Oddly enough Alien Crush was the hardest to find, I dug for about 2 hours just to find a complete copy of this 480yen game.

PS1:
70's Robot Anime Geppy-X - Now here is one awesome game. Clunky but decent 2D shooter with 4 discs of animation.  Even fake toy and shampoo commercials are included here.   :D   Just search for geppy x on youtube, theres a lot of vids of it.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

termis

« Reply #528 on: May 18, 2007, 02:41:32 PM »
Blood Gear.

I actually really, really like this one.  The only thing I heard about was that it was somewhat like Exile, and I agree, but I'll say it's a much better game.  Though the overhead exploration part isn't much more than formality and just advancing the story/buying upgrades (much like Exile), The action sequences are much more engaging.  The parts & weapons you buy really make a difference in the game as well. 

I'm genuinely enjoying the game so far.  I'll write up a short mini-review once I'm done with the game.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #529 on: May 18, 2007, 02:58:47 PM »
Today (so far) I have played Batman Returns on my Sega CD.  Hint:  Go into the options and select DRIVING ONLY!  The platform portion of this game is beyond pathetic.  The scaling is better than what the Neo Geo could pull off, though.  And it is still a bit too hard.  Actually it is damn hard.

runinruder

« Reply #530 on: May 18, 2007, 03:02:14 PM »
Blood Gear DESTROYS Exile.
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

GUTS

« Reply #531 on: May 18, 2007, 07:58:45 PM »
Haha yeah Exile isn't even in the same league as Blood Gear.  Blood Gear is easily the best action RPG on the Turbo, man I loved that game.

Keranu

« Reply #532 on: May 18, 2007, 08:56:47 PM »
Blood Gear is a better game, but Exile has it's own special charm.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nat

« Reply #533 on: May 18, 2007, 09:13:29 PM »
Hell the PC Engine ACD version has better control than the 16-bit Neo Geo version.

Fatal Fury 2/Special with their 16-bit graphics on the Turbo kick ass. I actually like the dual-layering: you can jump to one layer, then fly through the air to your opponent who's on the opposite layer and kick the living shit out of them. I've never played the Neo Geo version but I can't imagine it's much different.

Blood Gear is a better game, but Exile has it's own special charm.

I wonder why I've never heard of Blood Gear before this very moment. A quick glance at the PC Engine Catalog tells me I need to find a copy.

...I recently picked up a copy of Batman for our favorite console.

I actually really like this game. You know, I put off buying this for years and years because of mediocre reviews. I think most of those were based on the fact people were expecting a sidescroller.... and got Pac-Man Reincarnate instead. I'm kind of sorry I judged the book by it's cover for so long and neglected poor Batman. The music is great, graphics are really nice and the game is actually fun. The only tweak I would make is to chop a few stages from each level. 12 is really pushing it, 8-10 would've been understandable.

Why didn't Batman see a US release? Batman seems like so much more of an American franchise than a Japanese one to me. I'd say this one is a good candidate for a future USA Virtual Console title.

esteban

« Reply #534 on: May 19, 2007, 04:22:46 AM »
Joe, I like Batman Returns on SegaCD. I think it is definitely one of the stronger titles (that's not saying much, but still).

Then again, I always liked the Bayou Billy gameplay formula (yes, I liked Bayou Billy, even though some beat-em-up segments were tedious). If only Batman Returns had a light gun stage or three! Then I'd be in heaven. No, I'm not joking. But Batman Returns... I like it.

I'd say this one is a good candidate for a future USA Virtual Console title.
I agree, although Hudson should release it before the other Batman games (i.e. NES, Genny) are available.

Unfortunately, I worry that Hudson won't want to pay for the licensing fees that are bound to be associated with this title.

Also, I too have avoided this game and have only recently been swayed by folks who posted rave reviews here on these boards. The funny thing is that first folks were praising the music in the game... and then the discussion broadened to the game itself.
  |    | 

nat

« Reply #535 on: May 19, 2007, 09:16:23 AM »

Unfortunately, I worry that Hudson won't want to pay for the licensing fees that are bound to be associated with this title.

Absolutely, I didn't think about the licensing fees involved. Maybe not, then.

FM-77

« Reply #536 on: May 19, 2007, 09:26:17 AM »
PC
Oblivion: Shivering Isles
Flat Out 2
Shadow Man (classic game, play it NOW)

Fun stuff. PC gaming rocks!

akamichi

« Reply #537 on: May 19, 2007, 03:35:19 PM »
DS
Gyakuten Saiban 4

MD
Outrun
Turbo Outrun

PCE
Private Eye Dol
Ninja Spirit

Wii/VC
Super Paper Mario
Ninja Gaiden

PS2
Odin Sphere (beautiful game, I'm hoping there's more kinds of attacks later in the game)

TR0N

« Reply #538 on: May 19, 2007, 04:13:13 PM »
PS2
Odin Sphere (beautiful game, I'm hoping there's more kinds of attacks later in the game)

I thought that wasn't out untile the 22nd!?

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

nat

« Reply #539 on: May 19, 2007, 09:06:15 PM »
I beat PCE Castlevania (Rondo of Blood) today for the first time...

Dracula is a chump, plain and simple. Beat him on the second try. He's got to be the second-easiest boss in the game! I had been hung up on "Death" after the Clock Tower level for so long. I didn't play the game for months then popped it in last night. Beat Death, but I started falling asleep. This morning I took care of Dracula and that was that.

I only got 80-some percent though, and I beat all the possible levels. There must be someone I didn't rescue.

And you know, the whole thing was inspired by the recent poll here.