Author Topic: Your Daily Dose of Gaming.  (Read 65498 times)

Keranu

Re: Your Daily Dose of Gaming.
« Reply #585 on: May 31, 2007, 09:57:49 AM »
You don't need the internet to waste your time doing what that guy did! :D
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nat

« Reply #586 on: May 31, 2007, 02:24:29 PM »
Today was Ys III (TurboGrafx)... Finally beat Demonicus. He was giving me shit forever.

Despite some jerky parallax in places, this was a great game. Graphics (aside from said shakiness) were very colorful and quite beautiful in places. I don't even need to comment on the music.

Now I'm on the fence whether to go the Ys I & II route or continue on to IV. This was a series I always skipped over when I was younger, but now that I have all four titles...

Keranu

« Reply #587 on: May 31, 2007, 02:45:13 PM »
Dude by all means play Ys Book I & II NOW! That's like the holiest game ever made.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nat

« Reply #588 on: May 31, 2007, 02:51:18 PM »
Already started... Some little sparkly f*ckers in the Shrine were giving me hell, so I shut it off. Besides, it's dinner time.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #589 on: May 31, 2007, 02:58:05 PM »
I am about to play some games.  Who here is excited for me?  Should I sell tickets so people can watch me play games via the internet?

Kitsunexus

« Reply #590 on: May 31, 2007, 03:02:01 PM »
Some little sparkly f*ckers in the Shrine were giving me hell

WE GIVE YOU HELL!!

Keranu

« Reply #591 on: May 31, 2007, 03:37:48 PM »
I am about to play some games.  Who here is excited for me?  Should I sell tickets so people can watch me play games via the internet?
Yes. Where can I paypal for a ticket?

esteban

« Reply #592 on: May 31, 2007, 03:39:27 PM »
Joe, call me pathetic, or a voyeur, or just a creep, but I would love to watch a video of you playing these games right now.
  |    | 

runinruder

« Reply #593 on: May 31, 2007, 04:04:01 PM »
Now I'm on the fence whether to go the Ys I & II route or continue on to IV. This was a series I always skipped over when I was younger, but now that I have all four titles...

Book I & II is one of the best games ever.  IV is very overrated. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Keranu

« Reply #594 on: May 31, 2007, 04:09:06 PM »
Runin speaks nonsense, IV is outstanding and I feel it's the closest Ys sequel to I & II. It's not as epic, but more of a fun adventure.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #595 on: May 31, 2007, 06:24:11 PM »
Nobody bought tickets before I began playing, so I had to play for an audience of one... ME!  Fortunately I let myself in for a discount.  Anyway here is the transcript of what occurred, as all of the games played are new to my collection:

The Terminator - Sega Genesis - I started playing this and all I could do is throw grenades.  WTF?  About a thousand Terminators destroyed me quickly.  I tried again.  Ah!  I can get a gun!  This helped.  And I died soon thereafter.  I look in the manual and it says something to the effect of "You might want to play it on easy in order to get past the first level".  Seriously... it really says that!  So I put it on easy and tried a third time.  Made it a bit further but still didn't get past the first level.  "EASY" on this game is what "XtReMe" is on most other games.  I will search for a Game Genie code.

Lethal Enforcers II - Gun Fighters - Sega CD - A very grainy Konami game which really doesn't use much of the Genesis' palette.  But it's kind of fun.  I have the version which actually comes with a box and instructions since I already had the Justifier to use with Snatcher.  Playing with the control pad or joystick is about 90 times easier than the Justifier.  For one you can rapidly reload and fire at the same time just by hammering down as fast as you can on the A and C buttons.  Use a rapid fire stick and you don't even need to apply any effort whatsoever!  Effort is for losers.  The Justifier only lets you shoot 6 times before requiring you to reload by shooting off-screen.  this sucks during boss battles when they are throwing tons of shit at you.  Also the gun isn't very accurate.  The Sega Light Phaser for the SMS is far more accurate.  But then again Sega is better than Konami.

Shanghai - Sega Master System - This game is pretty cool and the music is great, though you have to shut it off eventually if you value your sanity.  But the game is fun and very tough.  If it weren't for those damn foreign characters, it would be easy.  Damn foreigners.  How dare they not use English!

Ghostbusters - Sega Master System - This game is tough, but it is the best version of the Activision-designed Ghostbusters game evar!  It was the 3rd videogame I had ever purchased in my entire life (right after Space Harrier and Choplifter for the SMS which I bought along with the system itself), and I hated it at the time.  I kept whining and bitching to take it back, but by the time my mom actually agreed I started to get the hang of it and even like it somewhat.  I didn't tell her that because that would have negated my earlier whining and would have also made any future whining less effective (and I had lots of plans), so I too it back and exchanged it for something else.  It's gonna take the same amount of time to get the hang of again, I'm afraid.  The Genesis version is still the best Ghostbusters game in existence.

Gale Racer - Sega Saturn - Also known as Rad Mobile, this is a very arcade-style racer.  The graphics consist basically of scaling logs.  Sega rules.  What other company would ever think to scale f*cking logs?  Also this game has tr00 transparencies!!!!!!!! Anyway this game gets a bad rap, but it really isn't too bad.  I think most people expect Daytona or some game filled with polygons.  We here on PCEngineFX hate polygons, though.  So Gale Racer is king.  I would rather they had called it Rad Mobile, though... far more cheesy!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 06:31:15 PM by Joe Redifer »

Keranu

« Reply #596 on: May 31, 2007, 07:18:36 PM »
Joe I was interested in buying a ticket, but you never gave me your Pay Pal address to purchase one!

That Terminator game sucks, but the graphics are cool.

Lethal Enforcers II - I think I've only played the Genesis one, which is ok, but I haven't passed the first level because I like to kill too many innocents. There is a special name the game gives me when I fail the level, but I can't remember! (No it wasn't LOSER!)

Shanghai - I've always enjoyed these games ever since I was a kid and would play them on Windows 3.1! I don't think I've played the SMS version, but it probably plays just as well as the others.

Ghostbusters - Fun, unique underrated game!

Gale Racer - I've only played this on MAME very quickly once or twice, under the much superior name "Rad Mobile", and it had neat graphics and a cool Sonic keychain thing, but I don't remember much else ab00t it :( . This game was also featured in the movie Encino Man!

Joe Redifer

« Reply #597 on: May 31, 2007, 07:45:22 PM »
If Brendan Fraser endorses it, then you know it is high quality!  I should look and see if there is a picture of him on the cover or in the manual somewhere.

Keranu

« Reply #598 on: May 31, 2007, 08:10:56 PM »
I doubt Brendan Fraser is in it anywhere since Paulie Shore has to poke his face in every camera shot.

FM-77

« Reply #599 on: June 01, 2007, 01:39:09 AM »
Ys IV is the underrated one, even though it isn't underrated. :P It's the best Ys game for PCE. Period. It's actually a really good game, unlike 1-2, which is pretty mediocre (ALL NOSTALGIA ASIDE!!).