Author Topic: Your Daily Dose of Gaming.  (Read 65036 times)

offsidewing

Re: Your Daily Dose of Gaming.
« Reply #600 on: June 01, 2007, 04:59:08 AM »
Ys IV is the underrated one, even though it isn't underrated. :P It's the best Ys game for PCE. Period. It's actually a really good game, unlike 1-2, which is pretty mediocre (ALL NOSTALGIA ASIDE!!).

I'd kind of have to agree with 'Dane on this one, but I wouldn't call it mediocre.  I'm playing the game for the first time in over a decade and while it's lost none of it's luster and I love the game, at face value I remember Ys 4 being better.  I'll fire that up next to give an honest evaluation.  I may try to english text patch thing.  However, Ys 1&2 is a must play for any Turbo enthusiast and any 'gamer' who dabbles in anything beyond the brain cell lemmings of Sports games, MMORPGKLJOPIJ:SDF, and First person shootaz.

One thing I'd like to point out is how wonderfully matched the music of Ys 1&2 is to the game.  Throughout the game the music appropriately conveys the mood and the anxiety level of the game.  Although the solomon shrine song gets a little repetative and the goddess in the title screen needs to hold the Cleria stone above her head, dammit.

termis

« Reply #601 on: June 01, 2007, 06:00:54 AM »
If you had a side-to-side comparison, Ys IV is certainly a better game.  But only marginally, IMO.  Ys IV didn't really provide anything new for its time, whereas I-II blew away a lot of people with its music, cut-scenes, etc.

nat

« Reply #602 on: June 01, 2007, 04:38:53 PM »
I'm already extremely frustrated in the shrine in Ys I.

I'm only able to play in small doses thus far-- I can't open a single treasure chest that I find, and the enemies dwelling there all seem significantly stronger than me as to kill me in like two or three hits. What's worse is they respawn as soon as the edge of the screen moves to where they initially appeared, sometimes before I'm even out of sight.

The whole thing is a big frickin' maze and I keep finding new places to go, but that's it. Last go I had I got to some part where it said some nonsense about a statue's eyes glowing when I got close. Whoop-tee-doo!!

I'm guessing there must be some key somewhere I need to find in order to open the chests but I'm coming up blank so far. I'll give it another shot later tonight.

Keranu

« Reply #603 on: June 01, 2007, 05:50:52 PM »
Seldane sure is some Ys fan, eh!?  :mrgreen:
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #604 on: June 01, 2007, 06:04:20 PM »
Nat, you're rushing.  Take some more time to build yourself up.  The shrine or whatever it is that you are at is extremely easy since the entire game is the Ys-iest game ever made (LOLOL at my awesome pun).

nat

« Reply #605 on: June 01, 2007, 06:45:42 PM »
I thought Ys III was pretty easy, up until the final battle with Demonicus.

If this is game is easier than that, well, it just might be the easiest game ever made.

termis

« Reply #606 on: June 01, 2007, 07:01:08 PM »
Babel, an PCE RPG with modern weapons and vehicles in exchange for fantasy/sci-fi themes.

Holy cow, this has been the most import-unfriendly J-RPG I've played in quite some time since I started my J-RPG binge.  Lots and lots of dialogs between characters to advance the storyline, and just searching for the right character to talk to can take quite a bit of time -- even when you know where you're supposed to go (this capital city I'm in right now is damn huge - about 4-5 sections, and each one is like a normal, full-blown town in other RPGs).

Review to come once I'm finished - though I think it'll be awhile till I finish this one due to some upcoming things on my schedule.

nat

« Reply #607 on: June 01, 2007, 10:04:58 PM »
Ys I - Got quite a bit farther... found my groove tonight. Good game, although definitely feels dated. I guess I can say that because I have no nostalgic bias. That said, the music is great, and the game is quality. This would have been phenomenal to experience back in 87/88/89. Unfortunately, I didn't get a CD add-on for my TG until around '97.

FM-77

« Reply #608 on: June 08, 2007, 04:23:45 AM »
Currently playing Halo 2 Vista. Which I illegally downloaded (of course - it's a shit port of an ancient game that costs $5). I had to illegally download and pirate Windows Vista to get it to run as well. And man, Vista f*cking sucks. It's a horrible OS. Easily the worst since Mac OS 9... actually, it's even worse than that one, and that's saying a lot. It renders a three-f*cking-year-old game unplayable on a modern computer. That's just insane. I can play high end games like Oblivion just fine, but old junk like Halo 2? Practically unplayable. f*ck Vista. I'm never going to use it for real. XP forever.

XP forever...

MAN I can't get over the fact that Vista sucks so much! While idle, XP uses up about 1% of your CPU power, whereas Vista  takes AT LEAST 25%. It also eats up 500 MB of RAM for nothing, and it's slow. REALLY slow. Forget Aero, I'm using the old Windows 95 interface, and it's STILL slow!

Oh right, I had to install some weird drivers for my sound card as well, because Creative (a crap company) doesn't make drivers for their Sound Blaster cards anymore. They make cards, but that's it. Drivers? Screw that. So needless to say, the sound is messed up in the game. Why did they even make Vista? Why render EVERYTHING incompatible? I just don't understand Micro-penis-soft. I f*cking hate them so much.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #609 on: June 08, 2007, 05:21:19 AM »
Bitch, bitch, bitch - my ancient hardware won't work with the newest software - boo hoo.  :roll:

Buy a Macintrash, it's so much better.  Except when the same thing happened with the switch to OS10 or the slow software emulation with the switch to x86 code.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #610 on: June 08, 2007, 05:40:00 AM »
Buy a Macintrash, it's so much better. 

Absolutely. My nearly-10-year-old computer can run the newest version of the OS! Quickly! On 0.5 GB of RAM! No slowdown! No crashing! No upgrades necessary! My aging G4 will outperform your 2005 souped-up-wham-bam "I love Micro-penis" 1.34557656578 Ghz heap in 7 out of 10 benchmarks! Imagine that!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 06:52:18 AM by nat »

Kitsunexus

« Reply #611 on: June 08, 2007, 06:22:05 AM »
Just you wait until AmigaOS gets all the legal kinks sorted out. IT SHALL BE THE SECOND COMING!!!

Keranu

« Reply #612 on: June 08, 2007, 08:45:11 AM »
Ys I - Got quite a bit farther... found my groove tonight. Good game, although definitely feels dated. I guess I can say that because I have no nostalgic bias. That said, the music is great, and the game is quality. This would have been phenomenal to experience back in 87/88/89. Unfortunately, I didn't get a CD add-on for my TG until around '97.
Things just keep getting better in this game. I think you'll be really impressed after you've beaten it :) .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

GUTS

« Reply #613 on: June 08, 2007, 03:22:14 PM »
vista does suck, I don't know what they were thinking, everybody hates it.  XP is still the best OS of all time.

TR0N

« Reply #614 on: June 08, 2007, 03:29:55 PM »
PS2
Odin Sphere
Taito Legends 2

NeoGeo MVS
RealBout Fatal Fury:Just got this in kit form today  :mrgreen:
Twinklestar Sprites

Just been jumping around as late for games i play.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 04:02:46 PM by Tron »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec