Author Topic: Your Daily Dose of Gaming.  (Read 63448 times)

FM-77

Re: Your Daily Dose of Gaming.
« Reply #645 on: June 10, 2007, 03:27:19 AM »
Yeah, Mario Party rules. It's probably not fun to play alone, but with some friends it's a blast. I often drag my Gamecube out to some friends and then we play Mario Party for hours. :)

I've been playing a LOT of Chrono Trigger lately (11 hours in two days, I normally don't even play 5 hours a week!). I'm absolutely hooked! I played this one a long time ago but got stuck and completely gave up with it. This time, I will not give up - I will play through the entire game, and possibly try to get as many endings as I can. FUN FUN FUN!! :D

Kitsunexus

« Reply #646 on: June 10, 2007, 08:02:14 AM »
Yeah, Mario Party rules. It's probably not fun to play alone, but with some friends it's a blast. I often drag my Gamecube out to some friends and then we play Mario Party for hours. :)

I've been playing a LOT of Chrono Trigger lately (11 hours in two days, I normally don't even play 5 hours a week!). I'm absolutely hooked! I played this one a long time ago but got stuck and completely gave up with it. This time, I will not give up - I will play through the entire game, and possibly try to get as many endings as I can. FUN FUN FUN!! :D

Chrono Trigger is one of the best RPGs EVER. Remember the awesome 3D remake that got a cease-and-desist letter from Square? f*ck SQUARE.

Turbo D

« Reply #647 on: June 10, 2007, 08:44:44 AM »
chrono trigger is my favorite rpg of all time. seriously.

FM-77

« Reply #648 on: June 10, 2007, 09:17:53 AM »
I got to the final boss. Seriously sad! I don't want this beautiful thing to be over! I refuse to even attempt to fight it, until I have uncovered all the mysteries of this glorious game!

Joe Redifer

« Reply #649 on: June 10, 2007, 01:03:13 PM »
I am about to partake in the legendary glory that is Syd of Valis on the Sega Genesis.  Who here is jealous of me?

Kitsunexus

« Reply #650 on: June 10, 2007, 01:31:31 PM »
I am about to partake in the legendary glory that is Syd of Valis on the Sega Genesis.  Who here is jealous of me?

That game's alright, but I think I might go play Landstalker again.

nat

« Reply #651 on: June 10, 2007, 02:27:14 PM »
Der Langrisser/Lungrissier/Langrisser II/Warsong 2/whatever - These games have a different name on every console they get released on! I picked up this game a while back for my PC-FX. I finally got around to sitting down with it today. This game is the sequel to Warsong on the Genesis ("Langrisser" on the Turbo/PCE). What an awesome game! Highly recommended to anyone who likes turn-based strategy RPG-type games. Actually, I didn't know that I did until I started playing this. At the start you are put through a questionnaire that builds your character based on your answers. Once your main character is built, you get a chance to build armies and equip them using points/credits. You start out with a certain number of "points" and then earn more as you progress through the game. The game is played out through "scenarios" that have certain goals you must reach in order to proceed onward-- usually these involve killing armies of bad guys. Like I mentioned earlier, the game is turn-based and there is some strategy involved in effectively placing your military each turn. After successfully completing a scenario you are treated to a full-screen FMV anime cutscene of the highest quality that segues into the next scenario. Music is top-notch, reminding me in places of Sapphire. For those who don't own a PC-FX, I strongly suggest you buy one. Actually, for those who don't have one, this game also is available on the Playstation, Saturn and Super Famicom. Although it's a given the SFC version is lacking the redbook audio and FMV cutscenes, and graphics are likely inferior.

I've never played the original Warsong, but I'm now thinking about finding a copy of the Turbo CD version.

One thing to note: the game menus are Japanese-heavy, as is the character-building questionnaire, so I imagine the game would be virtually unplayable to someone who can't read Japanese or without a walkthrough/FAQ.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #652 on: June 10, 2007, 02:38:26 PM »
Der Langrisser/Lungrissier/Langrisser II/Warsong 2/whatever - These games have a different name on every console they get released on! I picked up this game a while back for my PC-FX. I finally got around to sitting down with it today. This game is the sequel to Warsong on the Genesis ("Langrisser" on the Turbo/PCE). What an awesome game! Highly recommended to anyone who likes turn-based strategy RPG-type games. Actually, I didn't know that I did until I started playing this. At the start you are put through a questionnaire that builds your character based on your answers. Once your main character is built, you get a chance to build armies and equip them using points/credits. You start out with a certain number of "points" and then earn more as you progress through the game. The game is played out through "scenarios" that have certain goals you must reach in order to proceed onward-- usually these involve killing armies of bad guys. Like I mentioned earlier, the game is turn-based and there is some strategy involved in effectively placing your military each turn. After successfully completing a scenario you are treated to a full-screen FMV anime cutscene of the highest quality that segues into the next scenario. Music is top-notch, reminding me in places of Sapphire. For those who don't own a PC-FX, I strongly suggest you buy one. Actually, for those who don't have one, this game also is available on the Playstation, Saturn and Super Famicom. Although it's a given the SFC version is lacking the redbook audio and FMV cutscenes, and graphics are likely inferior.

I've never played the original Warsong, but I'm now thinking about finding a copy of the Turbo CD version.

One thing to note: the game menus are Japanese-heavy, as is the character-building questionnaire, so I imagine the game would be virtually unplayable to someone who can't read Japanese or without a walkthrough/FAQ.

Here is a link! ^.^  http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/langrisser/langrisser.htm

termis

« Reply #653 on: June 10, 2007, 02:44:09 PM »
Warsong / Langrisser is awesome.  Once you figure out the menu/magic and stat systems, I think someone without too much Japanese knowledge can get through it.  Japanese would also come in in handy knowing what class you want your characters to become as they're promoted, but just a quick glance at any faqs flowing around will mitigate this problem.

I only played the original and the first sequel, and to this day, they are probably the most fun I had with strategy games.

It's come some cool tunes, too.

FM-77

« Reply #654 on: June 10, 2007, 11:09:44 PM »

That game's alright, but I think I might go play Landstalker again.

Yay! One of the best games for the Mega Drive! :o I love this game so much, I've been wanting to re-play it for years, but never gotten around to it. Maybe when I'm done with Chrono Trigger (and Seiken Densetsu 3 which I will play after it), I'll play Landstalker again! :D

PS: I was awake until 3 am in the morning playing Chrono Trigger... I was so hooked! This game is FANTASTIC! :)

Joe Redifer

« Reply #655 on: June 11, 2007, 04:50:20 AM »
I will borrow Chrono Trigger from my friend and play through it soon.  I will also overwrite his pesky save files when he put on there when he originally played it... when the game was first released.  He hasn't touched it since.  But I will, I like touching things.

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #656 on: June 11, 2007, 04:55:33 AM »
Holy shit a copy of CT with no New Game+ still exists?? I wonder what the ratio on those are in 2007

FM-77

« Reply #657 on: June 11, 2007, 06:54:48 AM »
It's pretty easy to just reset the SRAM to get a fresh cart. :wink:

GUTS

« Reply #658 on: June 11, 2007, 09:01:24 AM »
CT is the best RPG of all time.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #659 on: June 11, 2007, 12:09:42 PM »
CT is the best RPG of all time.

I was actually sitting here trying to counter that, and really I can't. CT just has so much AWESOME in it. I think it's just the fact that the settings and overall plot are cool, the battle system is cool (although arguably not as cool as Tales Of Phantasia) and the graphics and music were better than ANY of the SNES Final Fantasy games could hope to be. The storyline is the only RPG storyline to ever enthrall me enough to complete it.

I'd say (since I'm not a big fan of Seiken Densetsu 3, never had time to play it) that Secret Of Mana is really the ONLY thing that comes close to Chrono Trigger.

You know what the biggest JOKE RPG, the most piece of shit RPG I would NEVER pay money for is? Well there's a lot of them, but on the SNES, it's Secret Of Evermore. It's just the smugness that gets me really, they think the cheapass humor is SO clever... ¬_¬ Jeremy Soule WASTED his time.