Author Topic: Your Daily Dose of Gaming.  (Read 65245 times)

Black Tiger

Re: Your Daily Dose of Gaming.
« Reply #660 on: June 11, 2007, 12:35:22 PM »
CT is the best RPG of all time.

I was actually sitting here trying to counter that, and really I can't. CT just has so much AWESOME in it. I think it's just the fact that the settings and overall plot are cool, the battle system is cool (although arguably not as cool as Tales Of Phantasia) and the graphics and music were better than ANY of the SNES Final Fantasy games could hope to be. The storyline is the only RPG storyline to ever enthrall me enough to complete it.

I just wish that completing it opened up an extra hard difficulty mode or something. The low-challenge made me replay it for a much shorter time than other RPGs back then.

It also feels like one of these games that develops a decent system for you to take advantage of... but there's nothing challenging to really use it on. It would've been nice to at least have something tacked on like the Weapons in FFVII.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Joe Redifer

« Reply #661 on: June 11, 2007, 01:46:27 PM »
So Chrono Trigger is easy?  I axed my friend "Can a nigga borrow Chrono Trigga?" and he said yes, so I'll soon be playing it.  I expect it to live up to ALL of the hype you internet people have been giving it.  If I see any flaws, any at all, I will shove them in your face.

Black Tiger

« Reply #662 on: June 11, 2007, 04:11:51 PM »
So Chrono Trigger is easy?  I axed my friend "Can a nigga borrow Chrono Trigga?" and he said yes, so I'll soon be playing it.  I expect it to live up to ALL of the hype you internet people have been giving it.  If I see any flaws, any at all, I will shove them in your face.

You'll have a lot more fun with low expectations. Its got a lot of good qualities, but its far from a perfect game all round. I think that if it looked and sounded like Secret of the Stars, it wouldn't be the legend it is to so many people.

I don't think its really necessary to pit RPGs against one another like people do with other genres. As long as you enjoy RPGs, I think all decent ones are fun.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #663 on: June 11, 2007, 04:15:08 PM »

I just wish that completing it opened up an extra hard difficulty mode or something. The low-challenge made me replay it for a much shorter time than other RPGs back then.

It also feels like one of these games that develops a decent system for you to take advantage of... but there's nothing challenging to really use it on. It would've been nice to at least have something tacked on like the Weapons in FFVII.

What Battle-System mode are you using? The Real-time is slightly more challenging. Plus, have you gotten all the endings? There's like 10 or so of the f*ckers, that's what the New Game+ is for. It's a bitch getting all the endings (A task I have not accomplished). And I'm not a fan of difficulty unless it's a fighting game, FPS, or SHMUP. I feel that CT's difficulty is spot on for the game it is.

"Can a nigga borrow Chrono Trigga?"

I LOVE THAT! ^.^  And don't worry, it is COMPLETELY worth the praise; Snerds NEVER lie.

FM-77

« Reply #664 on: June 12, 2007, 03:38:27 AM »
I agree with Kit, I think the difficulty level in CT is perfect. Bosses are usually hard, and there's always a tactic needed, you can't just choose attack, attack, attack. Pretty much the only flaw I can think of are the graphics. Yes, I don't think the game looks particularly good. I've never been a fan of Square's SNES graphics (they used the same style in nearly all of their SNES games), but they are all right of course, and technically rather impressive, but I find them boring. The game controls are also very clunky, just like in the Mana games.

But who cares about those things, the game rocks!!

Kitsunexus

« Reply #665 on: June 12, 2007, 07:54:39 AM »
Got Super Monkey Ball 2. I <3 it!

I think getting addicted to heroin would have been less dangerous. If you guys never see me again, you'll know why.  :wink:  :lol:

FM-77

« Reply #666 on: June 12, 2007, 07:56:27 AM »
I have Monkey Ball for Nintendo DS. I've almost never played the real game, but I often play the minigames (mini golf, bowling, etc) - they are tons of fun. I will try the actual game sometime. :P

As for Chrono Trigger. Playtime: 28 hours. Finished a couple of side quests. Hopefully there are more left. After that.... final battle. :cry:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 07:58:03 AM by Seldane »

Black Tiger

« Reply #667 on: June 12, 2007, 11:55:02 AM »

What Battle-System mode are you using? The Real-time is slightly more challenging. Plus, have you gotten all the endings? There's like 10 or so of the f*ckers, that's what the New Game+ is for. It's a bitch getting all the endings (A task I have not accomplished). And I'm not a fan of difficulty unless it's a fighting game, FPS, or SHMUP. I feel that CT's difficulty is spot on for the game it is.

"Can a nigga borrow Chrono Trigga?"

I LOVE THAT! ^.^  And don't worry, it is COMPLETELY worth the praise; Snerds NEVER lie.

I don't remember there being anything other than realtime battles. I got every ending more than once back in the day, before there were strategy guides or the internet.

The 'New Game+' should've been titled 'Tard Mode'.

FM-77

« Reply #668 on: June 13, 2007, 02:40:53 AM »
I finished it last night. It took roughly 30 hours. DAMN good game!! Now I need something similiar. Anybody know of anything? Is Chrono Cross worth playing?

I'm going to play Seiken densetsu 3 in a couple minutes. :)

jimid2

« Reply #669 on: June 13, 2007, 03:13:02 AM »
Glad to see an appreciation for classic JRPGs here... I've played and completed Final Fantasy III (DS), Final Fantasy VII (PSP), Final Fantasy VI (DS) and Final Fantasy VIII (PSP) since March, but I'm feeling I need a little bit of a break now... As a father of 2 teenagers I don't have a lot of "at home" gaming time, so I have to play my RPGs during the commute to and from work and whenever I can steal a few minutes here and there - that's why I'm on my PSP and DS so much... anyway, I just finished off FFVIII last Thursday, and I'm still in the glow :mrgreen:  That's a great game, once you get past the second disc... I'll probably load FFIX on the PSP this weekend or next, but I don't know that I'll start into it seriously for a while - I'm enjoying my Turbo Express too much lately and don't want to give up game time to another RPG at the moment...

« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 03:14:48 AM by jimid2 »

Kitsunexus

« Reply #670 on: June 13, 2007, 05:54:05 AM »
Is Chrono Cross worth playing?

Oh, f*ck YES. Dude, it is an AMAZING game.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #671 on: June 13, 2007, 12:26:39 PM »
No it isn't.  I almost fell asleep by the end of disc 1.  I never bothered to finish it since it was so damned boring.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #672 on: June 13, 2007, 12:36:12 PM »
No it isn't.  I almost fell asleep by the end of disc 1.  I never bothered to finish it since it was so damned boring.

Apathy isn't a virtue.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #673 on: June 13, 2007, 12:46:21 PM »
It's not my fault the game wasn't interesting at all.

FM-77

« Reply #674 on: June 13, 2007, 12:49:14 PM »
I have a feeling that I will agree with Joe, but I will still give the game a fair chance. Sometime.

As for games that are being played:

Seiken densetsu 3
Castlevania Vampire's Kiss.
Super Mario Bros. 2

Pretty fun stuff.

I want Motorstorm. :(