Author Topic: Your Daily Dose of Gaming.  (Read 63484 times)

FM-77

Re: Your Daily Dose of Gaming.
« Reply #690 on: June 15, 2007, 04:40:55 AM »
You mean why did they throw in a few tiny rpg elements in a platformer/shooter? :P

td741

« Reply #691 on: June 15, 2007, 04:53:40 AM »
Haven't had much time to play lately... I have a feeling that I will clear my backlog of games once I retire in 20+ years. :P

However, my curiosity did get the better of me and I picked up a Game Wave (http://playgamewave.com/).  Apparently TRU in the US was selling the the System off for 19.99$ earlier this year, while here in Canada TRU are selling them for 49.99$ CDN.  The games and 2 pack of remotes at TRU are half-price 14.99$ CDN.  At the 49.99$, it's not bad.  If you can pick it up for 19.99$ I would recommend it unless you're short on space.  (Err, not sure if I would pay the full 99$ price however.)  The system comes with four remotes, batteries, RCA cables, SVideo cable, and a trivia game.

Anyway, the site has more information, videos of all of the games, etc..

I got the system yesterday so I tried the games:
-4 degrees trivia games (Volumes 1 and 2): Not bad for a trivia game.  Reminds me a bit of scene-it, except you don't need a game board and everyone plays at the same time. :P

-Zap 21: it's blackjack. :P  There are two modes, but we only played the regular blackjack. :P

-Lock 5:  Take Yatzee.  Replace the dice with a slot machine with 5 slots.  Throw in a "wild" and a "worthless" in the mix of possible values (along with 1-6) .  Everyone works off the the same numbers in the slot machine.  People can lock the slots they want to keep.  After each round (3 rolls of the slot machine) the players choose from the scoreboard what points to put their sets of numbers to.  Since everyone is playing off of the same set of rolls, people could theoretically copy each other.  The game tries to prevent this by randomly selecting a possible combination on each player's scorecard for bonus points for the first 5 rounds. (I.E. Player 1 could get +10 if they do 3 of a kind, another player could get +10 for the "set of 5"s, etc.)  The bonus changes each round.

-Letter Zap: Bookworm (except you can also select letters that are joined diagonally).  Two modes:  In the first mode, each player has their own (different) 4x4 grid (each round ends when a player gets to 10 words or when the timer runs out).  In the 2nd mode everyone shares a large grid, once a letter is used it gets changed.  It's more competitive as more then one player can try and use the same letter, but the first player to complete their word will be able to use the letter.

-Gemz: (Bejewelled)  There are two modes again.  I think the first one is plain single player bejewelled?  The 2nd mode is 4 player bejewelled.  The twist: each player is given the jewel they need to score against.  After they score, they are given another jewel to score against.  If there is no possible way of scoring, the player can wait or change jewels which costs 50 points.

-Click: (Wheel of Fortune?)  You are given a category and a puzzle to solve at the beginning of each round.  Then you either pick a letter (consonant), or "channel surf".  If you pick a letter that is in the phrase, you get 300 points per letter and given the option to solve the puzzle before play moves onto the next player.  If you pick a letter that is not in the phrase, play moves onto the next player.  Channel surfing is like the "Chance" cards in monopoly, you can get something good or bad happen.  You can get points, lose points, lose a turn, get a visual or audible clue, etc.  If a player knows the phrase but it isn't their turn, they can "click" in.  This will allow them to jump in after the current's player turn and attempt to answer the puzzle.  Answering is done by having the player say the phrase out loud and then having everyone else confirm that the player guessed correctly.  If the player guessed right, he gets points, if wrongly, he looses points.

*Phiew*

All in all, not bad.  Again, I might not recommend it for full price, but under 49.99$ it's not bad.  The bulk of the games are geared towards the board game market and we'll probably take it out when we have some friends over (and they're all Wii'ed out).  The games themselves are programmed in Lua with most animations being mpg files (playable in mplayer).  I tried to play one of the games on my computer using a Lua environement, but it appears that they customized their Lua compiler.  Hmm... It might be interesting to hack and see just how much this thing could do... :P

With all that said, next gaming session will get devoted to my SGx. :P

FM-77

« Reply #692 on: June 15, 2007, 04:57:17 AM »
Wow, I would never get a console for those "games", not even if it was free. :P They're all available for real consoles, except nobody buys those games as all real consoles actually feature good games, which people get instead.

td741

« Reply #693 on: June 15, 2007, 05:42:21 AM »
Granted, I'm a hardware whore that is curious on its hackability. ;)  But for 20$ you also get a DVD player, so it's not a horrible deal. ;)

I don't think the market for it is the same as the real consoles.  Heck this thing is in the board-game section at TRU...

FM-77

« Reply #694 on: June 15, 2007, 06:02:24 AM »
Dvd-player you say, in that case I suppose it was a good deal. :P

nodtveidt

« Reply #695 on: June 15, 2007, 06:39:30 AM »
I played through Cosmic Fantasy 2 on my real machine when I needed a break from coding Mysterious Song. Now I have nothing to play except Mysterious Song itself. :lol:

nat

« Reply #696 on: June 15, 2007, 10:06:15 PM »
Today was not a good day for gaming for Nat.

I popped in Sapphire on the SuperGrafx for a spin and ended up sucking major monkey balls.

So I went for a round of New Adventure Island on the TurboGrafx and sucked a similar type of balls. Lots of ball sucking today.

Does anyone else find they have days of random "sloppy" playing, no matter what the game, system or genre? It seems to happen to me from time to time and I just end up turning the TV off.

Turbo D

« Reply #697 on: June 15, 2007, 10:08:43 PM »
Ya, I get one of those every now and then. I end up getting pissed off too  :x

esteban

« Reply #698 on: June 15, 2007, 11:33:56 PM »
Today was not a good day for gaming for Nat.

I popped in Sapphire on the SuperGrafx for a spin and ended up sucking major monkey balls.

So I went for a round of New Adventure Island on the TurboGrafx and sucked a similar type of balls. Lots of ball sucking today.

Does anyone else find they have days of random "sloppy" playing, no matter what the game, system or genre? It seems to happen to me from time to time and I just end up turning the TV off.
Oh, absolutely. Then I come here to get some relief, only to read things like runinruder nonchalantly mentioning he beat CyberCore the very first time he played it. At times like that, I say to myself, "I'm not just have a sloppy day, I'm having a sloppy lifetime."

:)
  |    | 

esteban

« Reply #699 on: June 15, 2007, 11:38:40 PM »
Wow, I would never get a console for those "games", not even if it was free. :P They're all available for real consoles, except nobody buys those games as all real consoles actually feature good games, which people get instead.
I'm like td, I am curious about all gaming platforms, even the lame kiddie stuff (i.e. LeapFrog). Recently, I pretended that I was interested in a friend's son's LeapFrog handheld solely in the name of "research": my daughter wants one and I wanted to see what it was like. Of course, I was just as intriqued as my daughter was. I can't wait until my friend gets another game for his son!

This is also why I am one of only a handful of people in North America who own a Xavix! Except I love the Xavix :)
  |    | 

FM-77

« Reply #700 on: June 16, 2007, 01:51:41 AM »

Urgh! I have sooo many of those days. I think today might be one, even though I just went out of bed. :P

Joe Redifer

« Reply #701 on: June 16, 2007, 06:57:13 AM »
I just got Samurai Shodown 2 for my Neo Geo today.  Now I remember why I hate this series of games... they're f*ckING IMPOSSIBLE!  I can't get past the second match no matter what.  There doesn't seem to be any blocking, and everything I do is countered.  This game would be great if it gave me a chance and wasn't so f*cking difficult.  SNK is teh suk.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #702 on: June 16, 2007, 07:11:50 AM »
I'm like td, I am curious about all gaming platforms, even the lame kiddie stuff (i.e. LeapFrog). Recently, I pretended that I was interested in a friend's son's LeapFrog handheld solely in the name of "research": my daughter wants one and I wanted to see what it was like. Of course, I was just as intriqued as my daughter was. I can't wait until my friend gets another game for his son!

This is also why I am one of only a handful of people in North America who own a Xavix! Except I love the Xavix :)

Wasn't Xavix like designed by someone from a famous game company?

Oh and the Leapfrog is cool for one reason: It only uses Macromedia Flash and can be hacked into a portable Flash player.

MrFulci

« Reply #703 on: June 16, 2007, 07:42:50 AM »
Joe,

Seems your skills need work. Away from opponent is block, and you have to block either high or low.

If you have an MVS, knock down the difficulty from 4 to 3. Takes a bit of the edge off.

I have my difficulties at times with that series. Especially with low to the ground/crouching opponents.

As with most other games, there is a learning curve, patterns to remember, etc.

Have fun!
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

Joe Redifer

« Reply #704 on: June 16, 2007, 07:49:30 AM »
How do I block low or high?  It seems that every time I attack an opponent I get attacked in return (instead of causing damage).  Still haven't been past the 2nd match.  SNK fighters = cheap.  Might be great in 2 player mode, but SNK hates single players.  No wonder they went out of business... their games just weren't good enough (they'd still be in business if they were). Also the AES version lets you adjust difficulty, but won't people laugh at me if I lower the difficulty?  I thought doing that was taboo and asian people would come and beat me up.

Also, almost all of the music sounds the same.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 07:52:21 AM by Joe Redifer »