Author Topic: Your Daily Dose of Gaming.  (Read 65518 times)

nat

Re: Your Daily Dose of Gaming.
« Reply #705 on: June 16, 2007, 07:51:23 AM »
Also the AES version lets you adjust difficulty, but won't people laugh at me if I lower the difficulty?  I thought doing that was taboo and asian people would come and beat me up.

You're right. You must never lower the difficulty.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #706 on: June 16, 2007, 08:27:17 AM »
I can't believe this game was recommended to me.  I will never listen to SNK Nostalgia again!  He obviously has shitty taste in games.  Instead I will buy the games he hates, like Marmelade Fighters.  That's destined to be good.

Keranu

« Reply #707 on: June 16, 2007, 11:52:11 AM »
I just got Samurai Shodown 2 for my Neo Geo today.  Now I remember why I hate this series of games... they're f*ckING IMPOSSIBLE!  I can't get past the second match no matter what.  There doesn't seem to be any blocking, and everything I do is countered.  This game would be great if it gave me a chance and wasn't so f*cking difficult.  SNK is teh suk.
I never really got into the SS series. I always thought most people were more into that series for it's art rather than gameplay as I haven't found the gameplay to feel smooth or much fun. I think the games look really pretty too, but thankfully there is Last Blade which combines beautiful aesthetics with awesome gameplay :D .

Quote from: Joe
SNK fighters = cheap.  Might be great in 2 player mode, but SNK hates single players.  No wonder they went out of business... their games just weren't good enough (they'd still be in business if they were).
I typically don't play fighters for the single player mode, but in my opinion, KoF'94 - 97 have some of the best single player modes because of the story. Garou is also pretty good for single player.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

TR0N

« Reply #708 on: June 16, 2007, 04:26:28 PM »
How do I block low or high?  It seems that every time I attack an opponent I get attacked in return (instead of causing damage).  Still haven't been past the 2nd match.  SNK fighters = cheap.  Might be great in 2 player mode, but SNK hates single players.  No wonder they went out of business... their games just weren't good enough (they'd still be in business if they were). Also the AES version lets you adjust difficulty, but won't people laugh at me if I lower the difficulty?  I thought doing that was taboo and asian people would come and beat me up.

Also, almost all of the music sounds the same.
Me thinks you need partice on it more.

Heck it's all a matter of timing on, SS2 this isn't a fighter where you rush into it blindly.

Once you get down to reading.. the opponents moves to counter it isn't that hard at all.

I can get all the way to end on SS2, but what realy makes it a cheap fighter.. is fighting Mizuki at the end  :P

Still i like how the SS series plays not just the art style itself either.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #709 on: June 16, 2007, 06:33:05 PM »
Come on Joe,I mean,I can beat Samurai Showdown 2 on 1-3 credits depending on who I use,and on Level 4 setting. Maybe you really do need my Metal Slug stick after all....

Turbo D

« Reply #710 on: June 16, 2007, 06:38:50 PM »
I have trouble with that game too, damn snk and their hard games  :x

nodtveidt

« Reply #711 on: June 16, 2007, 07:18:54 PM »
SS2 isn't terribly hard once you get used to the controls and strategies, but it'll wipe the walls with your ass until you do. While you're learning the game, knock that difficulty level all the way down to 1. Even on 1, it's still a challenge, the AI is a bit too rigid. But don't worry, SS3 is even worse, as is SS5. SS2 is the second easiest game in the SS series, only SS4 is easier. If you really want to kick ass in SS2, use Haohmaru, Genjuro, or Gen-an. If you want to be a cheapass mofo, go for Cham Cham or Charlotte. The ninjas are pretty crap in this version though (Galford and Hanzo). A good newbie strategy is to rely more on light and mid hits than trying the heavy hits. Also, jump attacks are often pretty useful as long as you get the move off quick enough. Air attacks are especially useful against Earthquake as long as you hit deep-in, otherwise he really likes to quick-counter faster than you can say "My blood boils for battle".

And yes...most of the music sucks ass.

Keranu

« Reply #712 on: June 16, 2007, 07:43:52 PM »
I like Nakoruru myself :) .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

TR0N

« Reply #713 on: June 16, 2007, 07:48:15 PM »
I like Nakoruru myself :) .
I like cham cham in it even if she is cheap to use in it.

Still the last time i played, SS2 i used genjuro in it he's slick when ya know how 'to use him  8)

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Mobius

« Reply #714 on: June 17, 2007, 03:54:14 AM »
When I bought a Neo-Geo CDZ, the seller included Samurai Shodown 3 with it.  Good god, that game is hard.  King of Fighters '94 was tough, too, but at least I was able to make some progress eventually (even if it was on the easiest setting). SS3, I just never quite "got."  Even when I sat down and forced myself to learn all the moves for at least one character, I was still getting my butt kicked.  I don't think I ever won more than a couple matches.

I still have no idea what I was doing wrong.  Needless to say, it doesn't get much playtime.  Sure is pretty, though...

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #715 on: June 17, 2007, 04:08:56 AM »
Hey Joe, if you thought the AI on SS2 was something, then you won't be able to handle Mizuki. She got this attack she throws a glowing ball that's tough to dodge and I believe you can't block it either. You're bouncing around like a pinball, every time you hit the wall is quite a bit of damage.  Not only it shatters your weapon, but it also reverses the controls.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #716 on: June 17, 2007, 04:14:33 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.  You'd think that as an arcade game it would be more approachable to those who have never played it before (as arcade games are supposed to be, but SNK doesn't count as "real arcade").  Also I was able to play as Mizuki and I could easily throw the glowing ball, and just about every opponent could easily block it by just standing there.  No need to dodge.  Just block.  I did not like Mizuki because sometimes I lose control of her when she decides to strike a pose.  But if she is seriously that cheap when you play against her, then my statement is correct when I say the game has bad design.

PS - I have no idea which character I am picking because it doesn't list their names on the character select screen.  So when you say "Use Genguro" or the like, I say "WTF?"
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 04:19:59 AM by Joe Redifer »

GUTS

« Reply #717 on: June 17, 2007, 07:09:12 AM »
Try part 4 instead, it's WAY better than 2.  The thing about Samurai showdown is never bother with the two less powerful attacks, always use the strongest attack which is done by hitting B&C (or A&B, it's been years) together.  That always takes like 1/3 of the other guy's life off if you connect.  Also, don't get fancy with special moves and shit if you don't have to, if you get an opening just hit them with a strong attack instead of a special move since that B&C move takes off more health than any special attack in the game.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #718 on: June 17, 2007, 08:02:46 AM »
But the SNK community insists that SS2 is one of the best fighting games on the system.  That and it's cheap were the reasons I chose it.  I guess SNK fans just like crap.  It would explain a lot.  The game just isn't fun to play.  I plugged in some SvC Chaos and was relieved to play a game that was actually playable!  YES, a playable fighter on the Neo Geo.  Who woulda thought?  Still has the chunky gradients that most Neo Geo games do, though.  The Neo Geo cannot do smooth gradients.  Not enough colors.

FM-77

« Reply #719 on: June 17, 2007, 08:40:58 AM »
Played today

DS
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney - I'm on the final case now, it's getting kinda old by now. Still, an aaaawesome game!

GG
*Phantasy Star Adventure - This game seems very interesting, but is flawed in a couple of ways. I will try to complete it though. I like it.
*Sylvan Tale - Seems really promising. I haven't played it much but I like everything so far.
*Madoh monogatari 1- Ugh.

PC
*Flatout 2 - Still tons of fun.
*Ys The Oath in Felghana - I wish I could enjoy this, but it is impossible. Ugh again.

Mostly this has been one of those days when everything you attempt to play sucks, which is exceptionally bad timing, as this is one boring day. Bad weather, nothing to do, everybody's gone...bla bla. I hate sundays. :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 08:42:49 AM by FM-77 »