Author Topic: Your Daily Dose of Gaming.  (Read 63099 times)

Michael Helgeson

Re: Your Daily Dose of Gaming.
« Reply #735 on: June 17, 2007, 01:14:03 PM »
Actually Joe,I also said most fighters in general are not for you unless made by Capcom it sounded like,
I'm sorry Joe,maybe its just that you suck horribly at fighting games,or most that are not made by Capcom. You bitch all the time about how hard fighters are,esp the SNK ones,
. And no weeping is done here by me,you the only one who keeps crying and bitching about how hard,unplayable the stuff is. Im the one enjoying it all. I did not realize you are using a NeoCD pad. Those really do suck ass. If I had one of those I prob would be crying too. You should prob have a custom 4 button stick made for your AES,or pick up one of the normal ones. They really are not that big at all. I don't think the Neo is sooo special that no one can understand or like it. i don't spend 24/7 on the Neo forums. Its just a really good game system that happens to handle most of what I liked to play really well. It should be no surprise to you by now that most of what I play is arcade games in general and fighters.

As far as MVS being the poor mans Neo,the hardware after buying a SG or consolizing it cost more then a AES,the when using a encoder the video quality is way better then the video out on a AES unless you mod it. You get a way way better selection of games to choose from at easier to afford prices,the carts are built better,with actual screws holding them together instead of a few plastic tabs and alot of false hope. Plus if you can get full kits you get alot of nice artwork,stickers,ect.

I would also hype the 3DO and Saturn up more around here,but I tend to feel like I should only discuss 8-16 bit stuff around here. To me the 3DO and Saturn are both on par with the Neo,Pc-Engine and X68000.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 01:16:35 PM by Michael Helgeson »

MrFulci

« Reply #736 on: June 17, 2007, 01:33:35 PM »
uggg, I didn't read all the posts, however, I feel the need to drive this into the ground one last time..

- Capcom makes the best video game fighters ever.
- I disagree, it's a very good company, but I think SNK makes the best fighters ever.
- SNK sucks.
- You know something? YOU SUCK!

hahaha, so many ways that can be altered for this, and other arguments!

I need to watch that movie again, sometime soon....
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #737 on: June 17, 2007, 01:46:21 PM »
I dont think Capcom makes fighting games anymore do they?

Keranu

« Reply #738 on: June 17, 2007, 02:40:25 PM »
Keranu, only homeless people can't afford the AES.  MVS is the poor-man's NeoGeo.  I don't want to build my own case.  I hate woodworking.  Plus your joystick is bigger than my entire table.
The bigger the better, baby 8) . I'd hate to use a joystick where I have to sit ass close to someone.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #739 on: June 17, 2007, 03:02:55 PM »
I hear ya Keranu, especially when you're playing someone 10 times your size.

My playing is terrible when my position is offset with the control panel.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #740 on: June 17, 2007, 03:59:17 PM »
That's why you get separate his and her joysticks.  There's no rule that says that they have to be one unit.  I agree that personal space is necessary.

Michael, I'll try SS2 with the Neo joystick.  However I am not a huge fan of joysticks.  Is there an adapter that would let me use my Saturn pad on the NG?  Also Keranu indicated his MVS cost less than an AES.  I don't  know which one of you to argue with.  This is a trap, isn't it?!

Capcom is making a high definition version of Street Fighter 2 Turbo (or thereabouts).  The HD drawn sprites look amazing.  I hope it animates and plays as well as it looks.

Keranu

« Reply #741 on: June 17, 2007, 04:17:44 PM »
That's why you get separate his and her joysticks.  There's no rule that says that they have to be one unit.  I agree that personal space is necessary.
I thought about making seperate sticks, but I decided with one bigass one because it looks cooler and has more of the arcade feel 8) .

Quote from: Joe
Michael, I'll try SS2 with the Neo joystick.  However I am not a huge fan of joysticks.  Is there an adapter that would let me use my Saturn pad on the NG?
Actually I believe there is, or at least someone who sells modded Saturn pads to work on them. I was going to bring this up, but wasn't sure of the whereabouts of these.

Quote from: Joe, come in, Joe.
Also Keranu indicated his MVS cost less than an AES.  I don't  know which one of you to argue with.  This is a trap, isn't it?!
Without the supergun stuff, yeah my MVS was less than the usual AES price. However there are many different types of MVS hardware out there with some costing more than others and sometimes you can just get a good deal like me. I think in the end the hardware price isn't much of a difference, so it's the software pricing that really makes the big deal.

Quote from: Joe Higashi
Capcom is making a high definition version of Street Fighter 2 Turbo (or thereabouts).  The HD drawn sprites look amazing.  I hope it animates and plays as well as it looks.
Oh boy, Capcom milking out SF2 AGAIN. I guess this isn't as bad as other versions though.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #742 on: June 17, 2007, 04:28:41 PM »
I know there is a Playstation to Neo adapter. Yea,if you already have a Supergun,a MVS can be had for around $40-100 depending on what model you want. This is before you do any altering or get a Supergun. Consolizing it brings the cost up,and will depend on how much you spend on parts. Really,if you are not comfortable with arcade sticks it will take some time getting use to it.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #743 on: June 17, 2007, 04:30:47 PM »
At least Capcom waited 10 years or so before milking SF2 again.  At least I assume that's what they're doing.  They just showed a SSF2 Ryu sprite next to one of the HD sprites in the same pose.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #744 on: June 17, 2007, 04:48:01 PM »
They have been milking it with collection disc,and 3d versions.

nodtveidt

« Reply #745 on: June 17, 2007, 05:09:13 PM »
Hey Joe, if you thought the AI on SS2 was something, then you won't be able to handle Mizuki. She got this attack she throws a glowing ball that's tough to dodge and I believe you can't block it either. You're bouncing around like a pinball, every time you hit the wall is quite a bit of damage.  Not only it shatters your weapon, but it also reverses the controls.
Actually, that's not completely correct. Those are two separate attacks. The black glowing ball is her devastating weaponbreaker attack (and you're right, it's unblockable), the control scramble is a different attack altogether. And let's not forget about her transform attack and her floorgrab attack...not to mention her overwhelmingly cheap regular hits. :) And that stupid dog she has...grr. But she's definitely beatable once you learn her patterns. You can get off a couple of heavy hits in the opening moments most of the time, then she generally goes for normal hits or that stupid control scramble move (and usually teleports right afterwards to confuse you so you usually get hit by it unless you jump over it). When she starts getting desperate, she'll rush in fast for a throw, or try her floorgrab move (this is easy to see coming, so you can either block it or jump over it). She uses the weaponbreaker move rather rarely but when she does, she's a real bitch about it. I've found that low medium strikes hit rather frequently, she doesn't appear to guard low as much as she guards high.

TR0N

« Reply #746 on: June 17, 2007, 05:09:23 PM »
Sounds like I made the NeoGeo fanboy weep.  Good, that's what I was going for.  Anyway I'm pretty damn good at most fighting games as I said before.  It's just that SNK doesn't seem to make them very well (although I certainly haven't played them all).  The controls are shit.  Maybe it is because I am playing with an SNK-made CDZ pad (or whatever it is).  Maybe I should try it with the gigantic NeoGeo joystick. 
Ahh well that would explain it if your useing the, NGCD pads. There fine for shooters and actions games etc on the, NeoGeo but not for fighters.

I'd just recomend a pair of "modded sega saturn pads.. or at least get the official joysticks for it then.

Btw some body get this man some, RealBouts Fatal Fury those 'are easy to get into and any body can play those  :wink:

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Joe Redifer

« Reply #747 on: June 17, 2007, 05:17:17 PM »
OK I tried the stick.  I like how easy it is to press buttons simultaneously, but the entire thing has a very cheap feel to it.  In fact I put a huge crack that runs along the top of the entire thing just from mashing the buttons hard (due to me feeling that the control was unresponsive).  Did SNK contract out the manufacturing of these sticks to Fisher Price?  I am now 100% confident that SS2 has little if any merit in 1 player mode.  I would like to blow it up and put it on Youtube, but it may be worth keeping for the two-player mode.  Not sure yet, but there is no way a human opponent can gain more skill the more his life bar goes down.  Also, for some reason I often lose control of my character while they do some weird pose (not stunned).  It is at that time my ass gets beaten.  Is there a way to turn off the poses?

Turbo D

« Reply #748 on: June 17, 2007, 06:18:53 PM »
Damn SNK and their inferior plastic!

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #749 on: June 17, 2007, 06:25:26 PM »
Take a pic of your cracked stick. I really wanna see that. I have never in my life been able to bust one of the AES sticks,and one of my AES systems I got back in 98 was from a rental shop in a bad part of town. It had seen heavy play on its stick,lots of beating and pounding,and it did not get cracked or break. The only thing I had to fix was the cord. The ball on the stick,those get internal cracks all the time. Thats normal,but the actual body of the AES stick,that shouldn't crack unless you purposefully do so with something like a hammer.