Author Topic: Your Daily Dose of Gaming.  (Read 63390 times)

Joe Redifer

Re: Your Daily Dose of Gaming.
« Reply #840 on: August 19, 2007, 09:34:26 PM »
Last night I changed the battery in my Genesis Exile cart as my saves kept going away.  The battery had even started to leak.  Now I'll have to start over from the beginning for the 3rd time.  I was able to get up to level 17 (the highest you can go) and beat Exile on the Turbo fairly easily.  Only the last boss gave me any real challenge as I actually had to use a few healing things and some magic.  The MODE button on the Genesis does make the B button slightly less twitchy in the menus, so buying stuff will be less of a pain.  The stories are slightly different in the two versions, with the Turbo being about religion.  I agree that the Genesis version is easier.  I'm going to go play a bit more in  a few minutes.

Black Tiger

« Reply #841 on: August 20, 2007, 12:43:25 AM »
I never bothered to figure out the magic works. It wasn't until the final boss that I realized that I had it permanently set to restoration magic. :dance:

I just thought that the Genesis version had built-in turbo for the attack and was glad to have it. :wink: It was a little tricky navigating menus, but it had more to do with switching between versions for me.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

esteban

« Reply #842 on: August 20, 2007, 03:00:16 AM »
Awesome comparison, Black_Tiger, thanks for all the info!
Yeah, excellent!
  |    | 

Joe Redifer

« Reply #843 on: August 20, 2007, 12:08:19 PM »
Yeah, you have to turn magic off for some reason.

One thing I don't like about the Turbo version is that on the map screen you have to select "Map" to go from town to town.  That's just an extra unnecessary step.  I wonder if WD added it to make the game seem 10x longer?

Black Tiger

« Reply #844 on: August 21, 2007, 12:42:32 AM »
I'm pretty sure that the map screen was also on the PCE version. I don't know if I mentioned it, but I wish that the Turbo version had the Warp spell. I don't know if it gets unlocked and I missed it or something, but it sure would've come in handy after barely defeated some of the cheaper bosses or during leveling runs.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #845 on: August 21, 2007, 12:32:57 PM »
The Warp spell is not in the Turbo version.  That's because WD made the game near-impossible.    Anyway, I finally finished Exile on the Sega Genesis™ last night.  Wow!  You can feel the Sega-ness in every pixel!

Does anyone have the PCE version of Exile 2?  Does your character walk extremely close to the edge of the screen, or is that a WD thing?  Popful Mail US Sega CD did the same thing.

Black Tiger

« Reply #846 on: August 21, 2007, 12:49:49 PM »
Awesome comparison, Black_Tiger, thanks for all the info!

Quote from: Black Panther
I was surprised both by just how great the graphics are in the Turbo version(some of the best for Turbo/PCE) and by how big of a hit they took in the Genesis version.
FINALLY someone who agrees with me on Exile's graphics! I always found Exile to have beautiful graphics! My favorite was always the waterfall that would appear in some places like the sewer place and later at the end with a bloody waterfall. I always loved the sprites (especially of people) in the 2D parts. It just looks extremely unique and fresh.

The sewers actually use a different effect than the bloody waterfalls, which use the Axelay trick. The first few bloody waterfalls are cool enough, but you then encounter some than pour down to the ground and over the next edge.

Its a nice touch since the actual graphics are great in the first place. :)

runinruder

« Reply #847 on: August 21, 2007, 03:18:13 PM »
Does anyone have the PCE version of Exile 2?  Does your character walk extremely close to the edge of the screen, or is that a WD thing? 

Your character walks extremely close to the edge of the screen in the PCE version. 

I've played through the PCE versions of both games, and I don't particularly care for either of them.  Part 2 is so ridiculously linear and easy that it's practically pointless, while part 1 is simply mediocre and doesn't even come close to games like Blood Gear, Xanadu, and Ys III.  The only thing I really liked in either of them was the opening cinema in 2 because the characters look cool and the music rules.   
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Keranu

« Reply #848 on: August 21, 2007, 05:14:04 PM »
Damn it, quit comparing Exile to other games like that! Exile is a great game in it's own right!  :mrgreen:
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #849 on: August 21, 2007, 06:54:35 PM »
I like Exile better than Gran Turismo 3.  The graphics are much more colorful and the control is so much better.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #850 on: August 22, 2007, 03:00:45 AM »
I like Exile more then most any original Sony PS1-2 exclusive.

Games played as of late.
Garou MOTW,KOF 2002, and Burning Fight. My MVS cart number is up to 40 with 2 being duplicates. I have 2 carts of KOF 99 and SNK vs Capcom Chaos.

esteban

« Reply #851 on: August 22, 2007, 04:50:40 AM »
Damn it, quit comparing Exile to other games like that! Exile is a great game in it's own right!  :mrgreen:
Thank you! I don't think Exile is top-tier, but it is fun (I've only played the WD version).
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #852 on: August 22, 2007, 09:42:45 AM »
I've only played the TGCD and Genesis versions. From the sounds of it, I don't think I'd like the PCE version as much as the Turbo. They're fun, simple, straightforward games. Often times I prefer linear games over games that are indepth.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Kitsunexus

« Reply #853 on: August 22, 2007, 09:59:46 AM »
 :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

GRADIUS COLLECTION FINALLY CAME IN TODAY!

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

My favorite SHMUP series on my favorite handheld!

This is like the BEST PSP game I've bought so far, arcade perfect and NO NEED TO UNLOCK THE EXTRAS! MUSIC GALLERY YES!

Also, let it be known that Gradius IV: Zakkutsu has the BEST Konami jingle screen EVER, I can't find a Youtube of it, but it has all these segemented polygons that rotate and conjoin to form the OLD COOL Konami logo.

So yeah, if I'm MIA, you know where I am.

^________________^

Turbo D

« Reply #854 on: August 22, 2007, 01:37:38 PM »
ya, that game is pretty cool. I played it for hours when I first bought it.