Author Topic: Safe to use Duo-R in America? and other questions  (Read 193 times)

ZachAttack

Safe to use Duo-R in America? and other questions
« on: April 30, 2010, 09:47:27 PM »
I just got back from Japan and picked up a mint, boxed PC Engine Duo-R with all original cords/adapters plus an Avenue 6 Pad (for only $118 dollars! its crazy to think of how cheap these are in Japan compared to what people sell them for in the US and on eBay)...anyway my question is, is it safe to use this in the US since the power is different (110 volts US, 100 volts Japan)? The only info I could find online is that the extra 10 volts isn't enough to make a difference, and I have been using it a little bit and it works fine, I am just worried about overheating it or blowing it up at some point in the future. Also I got a Famicom too, so would the safety factor apply to that too?

Other questions I had come up: About the Avenue 6 Pad...what exactly is this for? Are there games that need 6 buttons? Why is there only 2 turbo settings for buttons 1 and 2, as opposed to my American TG-16 that has 3 turbo settings (which seem to be crucial for some parts of Bonk 1 and 2)? And what is the other switch that lets you switch between A and B? The only thing I can get that to do is make the character I am playing as wiggle around really fast!

Also, I got a few Japanese HuCard games where there is a lot of text (in particular Neutopia 2), are there any translation guides anywhere (I haven't been able to find any so far)?

Finally, I got some pretty expensive Super CD games (Dracula X and a few others), what is the best way to back these up? I am worried about damaging the original discs....is there a preferred CD-R brand?

SuperDeadite

Re: Safe to use Duo-R in America? and other questions
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 10:58:51 PM »
Duo's aren't rare in Japan.  Fairly common game system.  The price in the US is higher mainly because shipping from Japan isn't cheap.  You can use a JP system in the USA no problem.  There are a few games that need 6 buttons.  Street Fighter II' is probably the most common.  The A-B switch changes the controller between 2 button and 6 button modes.  Games that don't support 6 buttons don't function properly if the controller isn't set to 2 button mode.

Don't play CD-R's on your Duo, it's not healthy for the laser.  Just be gentle and your original disks will be fine. :)
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Tatsujin

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 12:48:28 AM »
 :arrow: WWW.PCEDAISAKUSEN.NET

:OBEY:
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

esteban

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 03:07:04 PM »
Duo's aren't rare in Japan.  Fairly common game system.  The price in the US is higher mainly because shipping from Japan isn't cheap.  You can use a JP system in the USA no problem.  There are a few games that need 6 buttons.  Street Fighter II' is probably the most common.  The A-B switch changes the controller between 2 button and 6 button modes.  Games that don't support 6 buttons don't function properly if the controller isn't set to 2 button mode.

Don't play CD-R's on your Duo, it's not healthy for the laser.  Just be gentle and your original disks will be fine. :)

TRUTH.

|    |