Author Topic: 3 Duo models.  (Read 631 times)

NeoFreak

3 Duo models.
« on: July 15, 2005, 03:04:52 PM »
Hey, I'm new and could not find any information on the differences between the Duo, Duo-R, and Duo-RX. Thanks in advance for any help.

NEC n.(en•E•shee)

Ninja Spirit

3 Duo models.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 05:19:29 PM »
Quote from: "NeoFreak"
Hey, I'm new and could not find any information on the differences between the Duo, Duo-R, and Duo-RX. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sup guy, Turbo scene needs more ppl

From what I observed:

PCE/Turbo Duo - Has a headphone jack like the Sega Genesis for the do not disturb gag. A/V jack was built around the system's heating source. that positioning caused some nasty problems in some Duos. Sound crackles and goes quiet after several hours of play. I was one of those victims when I had my black PC Engine Duo.

Duo-R -Headphone jack was removed, A/V jack was relocated to another spot away from the heating source.

Duo-RX - The last breed of Duo. basically a Duo-R that included a 6 button controller for games such as Street Fighter II' CE, Forgotten Worlds, or other games that required more than 2 buttons to get the full playing experience.

Keranu

3 Duo models.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 03:47:11 AM »
Yep, what Ninja Spirit said is correct.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

NeoFreak

3 Duo models.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 09:40:50 AM »
that positioning caused some nasty problems in some Duos. Sound crackles and goes quiet after several hours of play. I was one of those victims when I had my black PC Engine Duo.

is this something that happens primarily to import PC Engine Duos? or have you also seen this problem with domestic TurboDuos? The only reason I ask is because I figure there was probably a bit of a time gap between Japan's release and the state side release of the TurboDuo Thanks.

NEC n.(en•E•shee)

Keranu

3 Duo models.
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 10:03:02 AM »
It happens to Turbo Duos for sure and I am nearly sure it happens to PC Engine Duos as well.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

twor2005

3 Duo models.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 10:03:43 AM »
Quote from: "Ninja Spirit"
Quote from: "NeoFreak"

Sup guy, Turbo scene needs more ppl

From what I observed:

PCE/Turbo Duo - Has a headphone jack like the Sega Genesis for the do not disturb gag. A/V jack was built around the system's heating source. that positioning caused some nasty problems in some Duos. Sound crackles and goes quiet after several hours of play. I was one of those victims when I had my black PC Engine Duo.

Duo-R -Headphone jack was removed, A/V jack was relocated to another spot away from the heating source.

Duo-RX - The last breed of Duo. basically a Duo-R that included a 6 button controller for games such as Street Fighter II' CE, Forgotten Worlds, or other games that required more than 2 buttons to get the full playing experience.

Didn't the RX also have a built in Arcade Card? That would be awesome.

Keranu

3 Duo models.
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2005, 10:20:58 AM »
The Duo RX didn't have a built in arcade card. In fact, none of the systems had a built in arcade card. But yeah, that would rock if they did  :D

twor2005

3 Duo models.
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2005, 10:51:04 AM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
The Duo RX didn't have a built in arcade card. In fact, none of the systems had a built in arcade card. But yeah, that would rock if they did  :D

I don't get changing the name of the system just because its bundled with a different controller. Did they do anything besides slap an x on the duo r?

Keranu

3 Duo models.
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2005, 11:10:28 AM »
Nope. It's the same thing as the PC Engine Duo R except with a different box, named "RX" and comes with a six-button controller. I guess it was just a special offer for new users to get a PCE system with a six button controller.

Ninja Spirit

3 Duo models.
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2005, 11:59:05 AM »
Didn't SF2 CE come with Avenue 6 pads?
Geez, would've been cool if RX had Arcade card AND Supergrafx backwards compatibility.

Then again, hardly anybody was lucky enough to own a Supergrafx so it wasn't worth the gamble.

NeoFreak

3 Duo models.
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2005, 02:59:59 PM »
Did the SuperGrafx retail for a lot more than the other systems? Why did NEC go back to a new HuCard format after they had already been doing the CD games for a while? Is anything on the SuperGrafx impressive?

NEC n.(en•E•shee)

Ninja Spirit

3 Duo models.
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2005, 06:59:42 PM »
Yeah, Daimakaimura/Ghouls n' Ghosts-J and 1941 Counterattack.

twor2005

3 Duo models.
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2005, 10:48:56 PM »
Granzort as well once you get past the first level. It could have been a classic if your character had a lifebar or could take more than two hits. I must say the only time it reminds me of Keith Courage is when I get lost in the levels though.

nodtveidt

3 Duo models.
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2005, 03:25:22 AM »
Quote from: "twor2005"
Granzort as well once you get past the first level. It could have been a classic if your character had a lifebar or could take more than two hits. I must say the only time it reminds me of Keith Courage is when I get lost in the levels though.

That's because it's not really a sequel..it's just based on the same animé.

Keranu

3 Duo models.
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2005, 03:59:35 AM »
Is Granzort really based on the same anime as Keith Courage (Wataru)? I didn't know that.