Author Topic: Favorite non-Nec system  (Read 2425 times)

Ninja Spirit

Favorite non-Nec system
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2005, 08:26:52 AM »
I'ma save up for a Twin Famicom. After all I always wanted to get into Famicom Disk System.

My Famiclone worked with that chip too, but the control pins became brittle and fell apart. So I just threw it in the trash.

rolins

Favorite non-Nec system
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2005, 08:48:54 AM »
Quote from: "Ninja Spirit"
I'ma save up for a Twin Famicom. After all I always wanted to get into Famicom Disk System.

Twin Faimcoms are great. My neighbor just recently bought his a few months ago off ebay. They're not cheap, and the only problem you should be worried about is the floppy disk drive. Original FDD used rubber belts and are prone to tear after 10 years of use. This also applies to the Famicom Disk System attachement. The only way to repair them is to get a replacement belt which are hard to find. Not to mention that FDS games also require maintaince because they get very dirty.

Blasta_Mazta

Favorite non-Nec system
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2005, 10:43:34 AM »
my nes is really pissing me off right now. i started playing it again a few weeks ago and games keep on messing up. it's twenty years, should be expected, right?

as for best console other than turbo grafx, i'd have to say SNES simply because of FF III and Chrono Trigger, which set the bar for all other rpg's. chrono trigger was definately one of the best, if not the best 16 bit game ever made.

rolins

Favorite non-Nec system
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2005, 11:31:36 AM »
Quote from: "Blasta_Mazta"
my nes is really pissing me off right now. i started playing it again a few weeks ago and games keep on messing up.

How is it getting "messed up"? Are getting a blinking screen? Because that can be easily fixed by replacing the 72-pin connector. You also might want to clean the contacts of your cartridges because they get dirty easily.

Blasta_Mazta

Favorite non-Nec system
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2005, 11:50:10 AM »
whoa! i mentioned my nes messing up simply because people brought it as a favorite. i wasn't expecting any help, lol. let me explain exactly what's happening: at first i thought their was no hope, but i cleaned out the game(s) i wanted to play and after repeatedly and annoyingly blowing into the cartridge and positioning the game in numerous positions, i got it to kind of work. this brought back memories of why i used to hate this system.

but eventually, i got it to work, but when i play it for around 2, 3 hours flashing lines start to appear on the screen and the game is more difficult to see. shortly after that, the game will reset or my man will get stuckin like the middle of a mountain, no way to escape.

i don't know what a 72-pin connector is.

as for the blank screen, that always appears, but i manage to take that away by adjusting the way in which the video game is positioned.

GUTS

Favorite non-Nec system
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2005, 12:05:38 PM »
Do a search for "NES 72 pin connector" on ebay, they're like $6 shipped.  The 72 pin connector is the thingy that the cartridges plug into and is the part on every NES that goes bad.  Replace that bad boy and it'll work like brand new for 5-6 more years!  Plus they're ultra easy to install, you just unscrew the top of the system, unscrew the metal shielding, slide the old connector off, then slide the new one on and put everything back together.

rolins

Favorite non-Nec system
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2005, 12:08:27 PM »
First off, please do not blow in nes carts or any other video game carts. The moisture in a person's breath will damage the game if you continue to do that.

In order to clean a nes game you only need two things. A Q-tip and some generic Windex. Wet the Q-Tip with some windex and clean the gold contacts of the cartridge. You don't need to take apart the cartridge to do this.

The 72-pin is usually the source of the blinking/blank screen problem. Most often the contacts are worn out and dirty and the only way to fix it is to replace it. 72-pin connectors are cheap and can be bought on ebay for like $2 - $5. You do need to take apart your nes so you can replace the 72pin connector, but its easy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NINTENDO-72-PIN-NES-CONNECTOR-Best-Connectors-on-eBay_W0QQitemZ8215522447QQcategoryZ41046QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Keranu

Favorite non-Nec system
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2005, 12:20:54 PM »
I never knew about replacing the 72 pin connector! I'll have to get one sometime and try it out!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Blasta_Mazta

Favorite non-Nec system
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2005, 01:32:21 PM »
yo gutz, you're probly right. that's definately the problem. thanx alot, that's definately what i'll do. it's really annoying hoping the game doesn't mess up.

esteban

Favorite non-Nec system
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2005, 06:26:01 PM »
Not too long ago Nintendo of America was providing free (you may have had to pay for shipping) 72-pin connectors to folks who requested them. Pretty kool, if NOA actually did that.
  |    | 

Keranu

Favorite non-Nec system
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2005, 10:44:13 AM »
That's sweet!
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Michael Helgeson

Favorite non-Nec system
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2005, 04:36:44 AM »
My Athlon 64 gaming computer is my favorite non NEC game system I own. I built it from the ground up as I do all my gaming computers.
I have a gig of ram,a Radeon 9700 Pro with a Cooler Master copper heat pipe cooler installed onto it,and a 60 gig and 80 gig hd.

khyrox

Favorite non-Nec system
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2005, 12:14:01 PM »
My Saturn is my favorite non-NEC system. Love it love it love it!

I'm glad I bought most of the games I wanted to play on that system when they first came out... I can't believe how much it costs to buy some of them off eBay nowadays!!

TR0N

Favorite non-Nec system
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2005, 08:13:02 PM »
Quote from: "PC Gaijin"

However, besides the Turbo my next most favorite system would have to be the Sega Saturn. The Saturn is the spiritual successor to the PC Engine in my eyes. Just like the Turbo/PC Engine, it was decently popular in Japan while bombing over here in the US. And the Saturn got more of the "core" games like the PC Engine and had sort of the same vibe (to me anyway) as that system.

Agreed :wink:

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Keranu

Favorite non-Nec system
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2005, 08:53:52 AM »
The Saturn is pretty much a PC Engine with better hardware, they are like brothers.