Author Topic: Favorite non-Nec system  (Read 2410 times)

AlexKidd

Favorite non-Nec system
« on: July 15, 2005, 09:14:48 PM »
So i'm assuming the turbo grafx/duo/pc engine is one of everybody's favorites on here. So what other systems are some of your favorites? I'm a big fan of all the 16-bit systems. The snes was great for Rpg's and Nintendo titles and the genesis was good for everything else(though it did have some nice rpg's too). Those two along with the turbo are my all time favorite systems. For pre-16-bit stuff I like the nes and sms. For newer stuff I like the cube and ds.

lord_cack

Favorite non-Nec system
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 09:23:02 PM »
Well, hmmm...I would have to say the SNES...the library of titles is to great to pass up. Then the NES, same as before. Then....PC, gotta say it has to many options add in emulation there you go :)

The Playstation 1-2 (and probably 3) era has been great. But All those others would come first.
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

twor2005

Favorite non-Nec system
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 09:56:05 PM »
Turbo Express  :lol:

Actually I like the Gamecube for modern gaming, and the PS2 for niche games. And I just picked up a new third party NES the other day on Ebay and I've been playing Batman.

cozzie

Favorite non-Nec system
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 10:55:18 PM »
I could not pick a favourite system as they all have great games the Dreamcast which was way ahead of its time I love plus I think it has the best limited edition variations of all systems.
Megadrive or Genesis as American people call it and pc engine are brilliant machines also and the rather obscure Fm towns Marty a very underated machine which has some awesome arcade conversions and the best home version of Splatterhouse available.
Then their is the Sega Saturn which plays host to some wonderfull shoot em ups and did a lot better in Japan than either America or Europe.
I will always have a soft spot for Sega hardware though.
I just wish that they could release a new machine that would blow everone away and that software developers would embrace.
Wishfull thinking I know!

nodtveidt

Favorite non-Nec system
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 02:23:43 AM »
Atari 2600. Seriously! :D When games were games, not visual glory-fests...

Ninja Spirit

Favorite non-Nec system
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 02:43:45 AM »
NES/Famicom
SNES/SFC
Sega Saturn
Neo Geo AES
Playstation 1/2

JBSpeed

Favorite non-Nec system
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2005, 03:48:13 AM »
I won an atari lynx in a contest along time ago, nice little system. actually had a choice of a lynx, gameboy, or game gear, no turbo express though.

The last console I bought was the 3do, a very odd mix of games and with the fz1 model, a duo will sit nicely on top.
I'm not cool

Keranu

Favorite non-Nec system
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2005, 03:52:14 AM »
The NES and the Duo systems are easily the best game consoles ever made for me. It's just really hard to say which one is better.

My other favorite systems:

Genesis
Neo Geo
SNES
Neo Geo Pocket Color (best original handheld system in my opinion)
Atari 2600
Sega Master System
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

KingDrool

Favorite non-Nec system
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2005, 05:36:55 AM »
The Dreamcast sits right behind my Turbo Duo as my favorite system ever.  Currently, I play all three of the consoles and both of the major handhelds, but the DS is quickly becoming a favorite since they're finally releasing some worthy titles for it.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

twor2005

Favorite non-Nec system
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2005, 09:40:44 AM »
Quote from: "nodtveidt"
Atari 2600. Seriously! :D When games were games, not visual glory-fests...

How in the world did the Atari do that sweet special effect with all the color lines? That looked like an awful lot of color. Its on the title screen for one of the Tron games, and a few others like maybe Swordquests.

twor2005

Favorite non-Nec system
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2005, 12:08:24 PM »
Quote from: "jlued686"
The Dreamcast sits right behind my Turbo Duo as my favorite system ever.  Currently, I play all three of the consoles and both of the major handhelds, but the DS is quickly becoming a favorite since they're finally releasing some worthy titles for it.

I love the DC. Mine has a lot of yellowing though  :wink:

Keranu

Favorite non-Nec system
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2005, 06:04:15 PM »
Haha, better start soaking your DC in bleach!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

lord_cack

Favorite non-Nec system
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2005, 06:15:36 PM »
Quote from: "twor2005"
And I just picked up a new third party NES the other day on Ebay and I've been playing Batman.

This is a bit off topic do these work well, I mean in comparison to an NES with a new connector is it a similar quality or at least to they have a similar life span? Cause I want an NES (I won an NES on Ebay and the F*&ker never sent it...) and I see alot of these around. Just wondering if I would be wasting my money or not...
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

nodtveidt

Favorite non-Nec system
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2005, 08:05:18 PM »
How in the world did the Atari do that sweet special effect with all the color lines? That looked like an awful lot of color. Its on the title screen for one of the Tron games, and a few others like maybe Swordquests.

I know the effect you're talking about...it was in quite a few games, especially in the Swordquest series. Swordquest: Earthworld used it a lot in particular. I've never coded the Atari 2600, but I do know what it involves, and part of what it involves is being responsible for programming every scanline. So who knows what they were able to pull off...although I have noticed that the effect only ever happened horizontally...you never saw vertical lines of multiple colours like that...

twor2005

Favorite non-Nec system
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2005, 08:55:34 PM »
Quote from: "lord_cack"
And I just picked up a new third party NES the other day on Ebay and I've been playing Batman.

This is a bit off topic do these work well, I mean in comparison to an NES with a new connector is it a similar quality or at least to they have a similar life span? Cause I want an NES (I won an NES on Ebay and the F*&ker never sent it...) and I see alot of these around. Just wondering if I would be wasting my money or not...

They work beautifully; you can see it in the pic above on the left. There are a couple of different models available but I recommend that one because its compatible with the original controllers; the other main version you see on ebay is not. Unless you want to play Famicom games, in which case I'm not sure which is best. They might not be compatible with the unlicensed Tengen games but I've never tried. I have no idea about the life span since I've only had it a month or so and only use it once in a while, but it probably compares with other top loading systems.

I also installed a new 72 pin connector in my old NES, as you mentioned. It too works perfectly (for the first time I can remember) but its about 4x the size and not nearly as cool looking. Its an easy install, took about an hour and no skill/soldering etc necessary.

All this is legit because Nintendo's patent on the NES expired in case you didn't know.