Author Topic: Soooo....any real reason to own a PCFX other than collector braging rights?  (Read 2156 times)

nat

Do what Necromancer said and try out a few ISOs before making the decision. I agree with nectarsis-- the "need to know Japanese" factor is over exaggerated. The PCE has an incredible RPG library, virtually all of which are Japanese heavy. The PC-FX is the same way... If you like JRPGs, you might dig the FX.

I can't say enough about Der Langrisser (the sequel to Warsong/Langrisser on the Genesis/Turbo), it's probably my favorite PC-FX game, and one of my favorite games of all time.

Last Imperial Prince is also a great unmentioned game, it's an epic action RPG spanning two discs that doesn't really require Japanese to be enjoyable. All the videos and screenshots you'll find online are from the first two minutes of the game-- you'll travel from forest to sea to desert islands to ice caves and beyond, and the music is great. You'll either love or hate the battle system, though.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 04:59:56 PM by nat »

SignOfZeta

You can't seriously mean to insinuate that the FX's RPG library is even in the same universe as the Engine's.

...or maybe I missed the FX games that actually rated with Tengai Makyo, Y's, Seiya Monogatari, or even the Telenet and Rayforce stuff.

As for the FX>N64 thing...nah, I can't really buy that either. The N64 really sucks and all, I know, but...how many actual action games does the FX have? Like, games with sprites you control and do stuff like shoot or run and jump, or punch people. Are there even...six?

The N64 has...I don't know, Bangai O. Sin and Punishment. There you go, two games that I personally don't own, nor am I a fan of, that combined (if not individually) beat the entire FX library. f*ck, Mario Party 4 pretty much beats the FX library, or at least all but three games. The FX doesn't even have a f*cking Bomberman game.

I'm not sure the FX is even better than the Jag/3DO/CD-i. I'd rather have one, obviously, but would it be more fun? On the 3DO you have Policenauts...that beats every FX game I've ever played.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
You can't seriously mean to insinuate that the FX's RPG library is even in the same universe as the Engine's.

...or maybe I missed the FX games that actually rated with Tengai Makyo, Y's, Seiya Monogatari, or even the Telenet and Rayforce stuff.
What is Y's.   I have never heard of that game.

The RPG library on the PC-FX is nothing to underestimate.  Blue Breaker and Boundary Gate are top notch, as is Last Imperial Prince....

As for the FX>N64 thing...nah, I can't really buy that either. The N64 really sucks and all, I know, but...how many actual action games does the FX have? Like, games with sprites you control and do stuff like shoot or run and jump, or punch people. Are there even...six?
It's not all about the action.  How many nice simulation / digital comic games does the N64 have?  What about board game style games that aren't Mario Party?  Where are the high quality anime cut scenes?  PC-FX has a better library than N64 if you ask me.  I can get my crapass platformer fix somewhere else. Don't need N64 for that.

The N64 has...I don't know, Bangai O. Sin and Punishment. There you go, two games that I personally don't own, nor am I a fan of, that combined (if not individually) beat the entire FX library. f*ck, Mario Party 4 pretty much beats the FX library, or at least all but three games. The FX doesn't even have a f*cking Bomberman game.
I'm not sure the FX is even better than the Jag/3DO/CD-i. I'd rather have one, obviously, but would it be more fun? On the 3DO you have Policenauts...that beats every FX game I've ever played.

Mario Party doesn't beat the entire FX library.  Now you are just talking crazy.

and how can two games you don't like beat the FX library?  That makes no sense.  Two things you dont like beat a bunch of other things you dont like?  Uhhh?

As it stands the FX library has alot of extremely solid games.  It didn't take off as planned, but the games we did get for it are pretty goddamn awesome.  Return To Zork is kick ass.

and again, Boundary Gate.   Bitches cant touch that.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

nat

Yeah, I didn't mean it how you interpreted it when I said "The PC-FX is the same way...." I just meant, the PC-FX has an RPG library that is virtually all Japanese heavy, like the PC Engine's. I didn't mean to imply it was similar in size. As far as quality goes... I can only suggest you try out some more PC-FX RPGs. There are a bunch, and they are mostly all great. I had way more fun with Last Imperial Prince, for example, than I did with Ys II or Ziria. At the end of the day though, it all comes down to personal taste.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
and the PCE CD has nothing that properly compares to Boundary Gate.  I don't care what anyone says.

Might and Magic III comes close, but falls short!

SuperDeadite

I prefer Dragon Knight to Boundary Gate.  But I did enjoy plaything through both.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Mathius

Wow, I have been on the fence about getting a PC-FX for a long time. Now I am even more confused dang-it! ](*,)
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

DJLobo

Wow, I have been on the fence about getting a PC-FX for a long time. Now I am even more confused dang-it! ](*,)

I'd take Necromancer's advice and try out a few ISOs to see if you like the games. Youtube has plenty videos showing gameplay. It's not a system for everybody.
Early to bed, early to rise gives a man no social life. - Yakko Warner

gundarN

I should be getting a PC-FX delivered tomorrow or Monday.
I love failed systems like the Virtual Boy, NUON or Jaguar. Only having a few games to play isn't a major issue.

Now to get a CD32...

SignOfZeta

Or just buy it, mess around with it for a while, and sell it on to the next guy when you get bored with it. I'm pretty sure that's what most people do, and there is nothing wrong with that.

You might lose money on shipping, but the price of the systems and the game probably isn't going to go much lower, so you can probably sell it for the same as what you paid for it, if you decide to. Try that with an XBox. :)

TheClash603

If anyone has a cheap copy of Chip Chan Kick! for sale, I'd like to buy.

Thanks!

Mathius

I remember lukemorse1 posting a vid of a PCFX game that seemed to be some sort of a side-scrolling action RPG. The graphics were lush and beautiful. Can't remember what it was called. I am home on my lunch break, so I don't have time to search through his massive database of vids.

Or just buy it, mess around with it for a while, and sell it on to the next guy when you get bored with it. I'm pretty sure that's what most people do, and there is nothing wrong with that.

You might lose money on shipping, but the price of the systems and the game probably isn't going to go much lower, so you can probably sell it for the same as what you paid for it, if you decide to. Try that with an XBox. :)

That might be the best idea to start with. I was thinking about doing that with my Neo-Geo, but I am so in love with it that I can't bring myself to sell it.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 11:32:16 AM by Mathius »
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

nectarsis

seemed to be some sort of a side-scrolling action RPG

Sounds like Last Imperial Prince to me.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.

Now to get a CD32...

No.  Please don't.  They am not safe.

Though, interesting shameless plug/thing.

I have an Amiga 4000 I am trying to get rid of because i keep stubbing my toe on it and I barely play it.... :D

BlueBMW

I'd get a PC-FX just for the icebreaker value...

Friend - "Zomg!  What is that thing?!"
Me - "You don't know what that is?!"
Friend - "Zomg! No!"
Me - "Just know that you are basking in greatness, that is all you need to know"
Me - (For one because, that is all I know... and...)
Me - (Because for us non-japanese speakers... basking in its presence might be all the PC-FX is good for)
Friend - "Zomg!  Its so coooooool!  It looks amazing!  I'm honored to be looking at it!!!"

Ok maybe not that extreme, but I have to admit, the PC-FX does look pretty darn cool.  I'd buy it just to look at it.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc