Author Topic: Soooo....any real reason to own a PCFX other than collector braging rights?  (Read 2159 times)

MaximumRD

Still in learning mode here folks. First time I had seen anything on the PCFX I thought it looked pretty kick ass, like a PC tower for gaming. I have watched some gameplay vids on Youtube, did some Ebay searches, seems pretty rare and expensive? I am guessing it is not backwards compatible with anything else? Would the majority of titles require Japanese language skills?
My Classic Gaming Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MaximumRD
My Classic Gaming Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=26887025879

SignOfZeta

Not backward compatible, pretty much everything requires Japanese except for the most expensive games.

If all you want is the crap, Anime Freaks, Graduation, etc, its not very expensive, IMO. The puny percentage of games that are...actually games, can get pricey.

Basically, its a sequel to the PC Engine that isn't even half as good. You know how the N64 was a horrible successor to the Super Famicom? Well, its like that. Only three times as bad.

MaximumRD

@SignOfZeta

Ah what a shame, OK then no need to consider one then. To bad it looked so cool at least to me.

SignOfZeta

It is a really cool looking console, and not very expensive. I bet if you are patient enough you can get one for $120, which isn't bad. Just don't expect to spend any time actually playing it.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
@SignOfZeta

Ah what a shame, OK then no need to consider one then. To bad it looked so cool at least to me.

take what zeta said with a grain of salt IF, and ONLY IF:

You like digital comics and dating sim-like games
You can actually read Japanese.

If you can't read Japanese, don't waste your money.  It will disappoint and be not-so-fulfilling, as zeta said.
If you can, but don't like digital comics, board game style things, or more like... texty games....... you will cry in boredom.... as zeta mentioned :D

I love the thing.   I play Yuna and Pia Carrot all the time.  and Cutie Honey. 

You have to like those kind of games.   If you aren't sure if you do... try some of the PC Engine ones:

Bubblegum Crash
Devil Hunter Yohko
Galaxy Fraulein Yuna
Dead of the Brain
Snatcher

If you don't enjoy these, you won't like them on PC-FX either prolly.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

SignOfZeta

I do like Digital Comics...just not the ones on the FX. I don't really read Japanese, but I know enough to beat countless strategy, RPG, digital comics, etc. The problem is that there is no Snatcher, or even Gunbuster, for the FX. Its all vapid soft core wank fodder.

If I had an FX (some day I will, I promise) I would own Yuna for sure since I love the series. I would also own Akazukin Chacha, since that's the FX game I've enjoyed more than any other. Also, the FMV fighters.

MaximumRD

OK guys that has helped A LOT! I do not read Japanese nor am I a fan of the majority of the type of games mentioned. So far I have ruled out any interest in the PCFX or TurboExpress! Everyone here has been very helpful! I figure even though I can not afford anything right now the more I can narrow down the list when I am ready the better.  8)

SignOfZeta

What you want is a Duo R.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
What you want is a Duo R.

Yes, a Duo-R is more exciting.

I should have clarified a bit more, you have to like fruity girly digital comics, lol.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
There are quite a few good games that don't require Japanese language skillz, but as has already been noted, some titles get quite pricey and the cost of building a meager PC-FX library would net a much nicer PCE library.  To anyone curious about the FX: download some ISOs and try 'em out on Magic Engine FX; it won't cost anything but a little time to see if they're up your alley, which is obviously better than spending a few hundred bucks for buyer's remorse.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
Games for the non digital comic lover:

Kishin Doji Zenki: Vajura Fight   -----------Its a sidescrolling punch stuffy game
Super God Trooper Zeroigar (Tyoushin Heiki Zeroigar)---------Only shmup on the system
Chip Chan Kick! ------------- Parasol Stars with panty shots

Zenki and Chip Chan are expensive as balls.  you will probably not enjoy them enough to be like MAN I NEED TO BLOW 500$ RIGHT NOW AND GET THESE.

Ruruli Ra Rula, Yuna, and Boundary Gate are my favorite 3 games on the system.  Check them out too.  Boundary Gate is an awesome first person RPG

I also liked Detective Ladies. 

TheClash603

Never heard of Chip Chan Kick til now.

After watching youtube of this game, I want a PCFX for the first time.

Is it worth $400 for the system and game?  Probably not...

SuperDeadite

PC-FX>>>>>N64 :)
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

nectarsis

Never heard of Chip Chan Kick til now.

Is it worth $400 for the system and game?  Probably not...

Well considering that's close to double what you could nab it for....no.  PCFX has plenty of cool games (the MUST speak japanese/digital comicetc is overblown).  Is it for everyone..nope.  Is it a system with some cool rpg/srpg games..yep.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
Well considering that's close to double what you could nab it for....no.  PCFX has plenty of cool games (the MUST speak japanese/digital comicetc is overblown).  Is it for everyone..nope.  Is it a system with some cool rpg/srpg games..yep.

It's not totally overblown!  I mean, most of the games, if you can't read what they're saying, it's pretty dumb to play the game.   I don't know what the point if walkthru'ing an RPG is if you have no idea whats going on. :(

The majority of the games on the system are text heavy and interactive.   You can hamfist your way through them and trial/error it til things happen... but you're not getting the fully intended experience.

The strategy games are awesome though.  Der Langrisser man.   Shits off the hook.

I think the OP should buy a PCFX just because.   Everyone needs one