Author Topic: Developing an app for Windows Phone 7...Pcenginefx style!  (Read 498 times)

Pcenginefx

Developing an app for Windows Phone 7...Pcenginefx style!
« on: October 14, 2010, 06:53:58 AM »
So I have to admit, I am not a coder - however with the amazing free development kit for Windows Phone 7, I have started development on a application that will be NEC console related.  So far I only have a few blocking issues that I will need to learn how to fix to be able to start creating the main content of the app, but I fully expect it to take months to complete...

I'd love to make a Lords of Thunder port (which would be totally possible even for a non-coder like myself), but I highly doubt I could get it approved for the Windows Marketplace without Hudson suing me :(
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

ceti alpha

Re: Developing an app for Windows Phone 7...Pcenginefx style!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 07:35:13 AM »
Sweet. How is the Windows Phone 7? It actually doesn't look too bad. And what model of phone are you using?

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Pcenginefx

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 08:45:40 AM »
The phones aren't out as of yet - they will be released on 11/8.  I have been really excited about it primarily for the Xbox Live integration and how you can play games on the phone that will give you Achievements for your account.  Over 50 games will be available this holiday for the phone with new games coming out every week.  The phone OS also integrates a LOT of features into it which means less extra apps that should be built into the phone in the first place.

The Windows Phone devkit is also free to download, and using Expression Blend 4 (included with the software) it allows someone who doesn’t know how to code create an app or game with minimal coding experience (otherwise you would be coding XAML by hand in Visual Studio).  Here is the WP7 development site: http://create.msdn.com/en-US/

Engadget has hands-on previews of all of the phones which were unveiled this week and the one I plan on buying is the Samsung Focus (4" screen, expandable memory to 32GB).   Here is the link to all of the WP7 news: http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/11/windows-phone-7-launch-guide/
//Aaron

ceti alpha

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 09:53:35 AM »
Yeah, the Xbox Live integration is very cool. Nice to see Windows actually trying to get back into the smart phone game with something original. Can you have a wallpaper/desktop on the phone, or is it just the tiles?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 10:00:41 AM »
But will it last longer than three months? 

*cough* kin
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ceti alpha

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 10:17:58 AM »
Haha. The Kin was a joke. This has to be received better than that.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 01:05:13 PM by ceti alpha »

Pcenginefx

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 11:35:47 AM »
Yah the Kin was nothing....just forget about that :)

The lock screen can have anything you want for an image - the lock screen shows you time, date, appointments and battery life.  The "live tiles" on the home screen of the device take up all of the screen and wasn't made to display a background on it - however you can change the colors of the tiles to your liking.
//Aaron

Duo_R

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 04:56:15 PM »
Develop for Android platform. Even if the marketplace doesnt take it you can always host it on the internet!!!!!
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

ceti alpha

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 06:33:51 PM »
Yah the Kin was nothing....just forget about that :)

The lock screen can have anything you want for an image - the lock screen shows you time, date, appointments and battery life.  The "live tiles" on the home screen of the device take up all of the screen and wasn't made to display a background on it - however you can change the colors of the tiles to your liking.

That's not too bad. This is also the first release of this OS. You can be sure there will be updates.

The Xbox integration is pretty neat, actually.