Author Topic: Wonderboy Series  (Read 11955 times)

Mathius

Re: Wonderboy Series
« Reply #165 on: March 07, 2015, 02:08:33 AM »
Monster World IV is loaded with charm and atmosphere. Play it!
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

lukester

« Reply #166 on: March 07, 2015, 09:01:16 AM »

One of the best Mega Drive games! It's a lot more linear than Monster World though, and you can't go back o old locations.

I had to take plenty of notes and backtracking during the Ice pyramid dungeons. But all the other dungeons are straightforward.

GohanX

« Reply #167 on: March 10, 2015, 04:34:03 AM »
This! One of my top 5 Genesis games, for sure.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #168 on: March 16, 2015, 08:40:51 PM »
Just beat Monster World IV on PS3 a few weeks back.  Didn't enjoy it as much I as thought I would sadly.  I think it's mainly the fact that you can't go back to levels like in Dragon's Curse & Dynastic Hero.  Still, I did enjoy it, & it would've been nice to have seen Hudson port it BITD...or maybe someone do a homebrew today!

Mzo

« Reply #169 on: May 26, 2015, 08:21:50 PM »
They would've changed all the sprites and called it something crazy.

esteban

« Reply #170 on: May 27, 2015, 10:41:26 AM »

Of course they would have!

I'd still play it, of course. :)
  |    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #171 on: May 27, 2015, 03:46:21 PM »

So it would be a justified port?
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

johnnykonami

« Reply #172 on: August 13, 2015, 11:34:04 AM »
Do you guys think Monster World Collection has a chance to be delisted from the Xbox 360?  I'll be honest, I was kinda waiting to see if a Steam port showed up because that's my preferred platform.  Now with the (sorta old) news that Westone is no longer with us, I was thinking of just biting the bullet for the 360 version.  I think the copyright belongs to Sega (or Sammy or whatever) though, so it will probably stick around.  Looking back, the 360 really was a decent platform for Japanese developed remakes/re-releases.  I was never a Halo or Gears guy (bought my 360 for Dead Rising 1 and Pac-Man CE before it was available anywhere else) but I have a pretty good collection of XBLA titles.

Mathius

« Reply #173 on: August 13, 2015, 03:16:06 PM »
Do you guys think Monster World Collection has a chance to be delisted from the Xbox 360?  I'll be honest, I was kinda waiting to see if a Steam port showed up because that's my preferred platform.  Now with the (sorta old) news that Westone is no longer with us, I was thinking of just biting the bullet for the 360 version.  I think the copyright belongs to Sega (or Sammy or whatever) though, so it will probably stick around.  Looking back, the 360 really was a decent platform for Japanese developed remakes/re-releases.  I was never a Halo or Gears guy (bought my 360 for Dead Rising 1 and Pac-Man CE before it was available anywhere else) but I have a pretty good collection of XBLA titles.

If you have the option get the PS3 version since the PS3 controller has a better D-Pad.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

johnnykonami

« Reply #174 on: August 13, 2015, 03:29:33 PM »
I do have a PS3, but the 360 dpad has never bothered me that much as it has others.  I just make do with whatever controller I have.  I'd use the PS3 controller for Windows if you didn't have to jump through so many hoops, the 360 is natively supported in OS and in games so I've gotten pretty used to it universally.

108 Stars

« Reply #175 on: August 21, 2015, 10:30:39 AM »
Love the Wonder Boy / Monster World series. MWIV on the MD is my favorite; it is more simple than MWII and III, but very well designed and beautiful to look at. I feel there is no repetition in the game, every obstacle is unique. Love the gameplay with Pepe too. I also applaud the pixel artists, they managed to make 64 colors seem like more than enough, so vibrant does it look.

On the PCE I definitely want to play Dragon's Curse. The Master System version is a great game, and with the graphical capabilities of the PCE it should be even better.

johnnykonami

« Reply #176 on: August 21, 2015, 10:59:25 AM »
Dragon's Curse is what got me started in the series, and later on I also picked up Dynastic Hero and New Adventure Island (marginally related as it may be.)  You can't go wrong with some Dragon's Curse.

Incidentally, I did end up picking the Monster World Collection, looking forward to playing through IV (with that official translation!) and Wonder Boy V again!

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #177 on: August 21, 2015, 07:01:43 PM »
Dragon's Curse is definitely up there as a favorite for me.  It was actually my first Wonderboy game.  However, the graphics definitely could be a lot better.  At the very least, I feel like for the time it came out, it could've looked a bit better.  As I've said here before, I'd love to make a cd version of the game, with updated graphics, & my own personal renditions of the tunes, but, that's just one of many of projects I'd love to be involved in.  There's never enough time for them all.

Galder

« Reply #178 on: October 18, 2015, 11:22:55 AM »
I can't wait for a 'wonder boy in monster land' cart (first WB game I ever played) I ordered to arrive for my "master system" (game gear with a master gear converter). I only wish the music was the original, like that of the arcade or the pc engine. Oh well, perhaps it is time to get a pc engine after all 'cause I can't find a true arcade port of this game in any of my current systems. 

Koop

« Reply #179 on: October 18, 2015, 11:51:42 AM »
I've only played Adventure Island and Dynastic Hero... I used to play Adventure Island a lot on NES and the GameCube remake (which I believe has some varied opinions due to the graphics). I did beat the game though which I feel is a worthy accomplishment.

As for Dynastic Hero, I dunno if I'm really into it, the audio to me is really weak, dunno how to describe it other than it just isn't very exciting and kind of makes the whole game feel slow to me.

I'd like to get more into the series though, is there a particular title anyone would recommend I start with? There are just so many to choose from.