Author Topic: Wonderboy Series  (Read 12061 times)

Mathius

Re: Wonderboy Series
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2013, 02:28:37 PM »
Here is an interview with Shinichi Sakomoto composer many of the Wonder Boy games, plus many others during his tenure at Westone.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/interviews/shinichisakamoto-interview.htm
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

Tatsujin

« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2013, 03:38:10 PM »
wow, he did some few PCE goodies.

didn't know westone is still around these days.

SC-88 godness^^
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Joe Redifer

« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2013, 08:01:11 PM »
Love Hardcore Gaming 101 and their love for the series. My favorite music from Sakomoto is definitely Wonder Boy 3. It's hard to match or exceed that. Well the Turbo version sounds better, but it's still his compositions.

Damon Plus

« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2013, 08:48:33 PM »
I truly love WB3: Dragon's Trap music, I think it has one of the better soundtracks of the whole 8-bit era. Side-Crawler's Dance is truly addictive. In fact, I think I'm going to listen to it with the MP3 player in my TV.

As for the game, I think it is one of the most fun, cohesive and full of secret games I've ever played. But I've not played the TG-16 version so I can't speak too much about the matter :)

esteban

« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2013, 08:03:01 AM »
Here is an interview with Shinichi Sakomoto composer many of the Wonder Boy games, plus many others during his tenure at Westone.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/interviews/shinichisakamoto-interview.htm

DAMN, THAT WAS TOO SHORT!

I would have at least 2-3 meaty question to ask in order to dig into things a bit.

For folks who want to listen to Wonderboy III: Monster Lair:

http://archives.tg-16.com/01_tg16_monster_lair_wallpaper_PC_iPhone.htm#soundtrack

ALSO: If anyone knows the ACTUAL titles for each track, or can answer any of the questions at the bottom of that page...well, that would be awesome 

|    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2013, 09:20:35 AM »
I truly love WB3: Dragon's Trap music, I think it has one of the better soundtracks of the whole 8-bit era. Side-Crawler's Dance is truly addictive. In fact, I think I'm going to listen to it with the MP3 player in my TV.

As for the game, I think it is one of the most fun, cohesive and full of secret games I've ever played. But I've not played the TG-16 version so I can't speak too much about the matter :)

Less secrets, but 60fps gameplay, battery backup and better graphics and sound. Worth it for the improvement to the soundtrack alone.
http://superpcenginegrafx.net/Vengeance_of_Meka.mp3
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 09:31:32 AM by Black Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Tatsujin

« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2013, 03:16:44 PM »
One of the best PSG sounds ever came from any console.

Tho, the FM sounds very nice on the SMS too :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Mathius

« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2013, 03:22:25 PM »
One of the best PSG sounds ever came from any console.

Tho, the FM sounds very nice on the SMS too :)

I wouldn't know. Damn regional differences. Cruel joke that one.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

Black Tiger

« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2013, 03:27:51 PM »
The fm soundtrack mostly sounds like an incomplete conversion to me. The story segment bgm is the best update.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2013, 03:51:05 PM »
My biggest problem with the TG-16 soundtrack is that there's an instrument missing in its rendition of Side Crawler's Dance and that kind of annoys me. I guess because maybe the weak TG-16 doesn't have as many sound channels as the Master System. It probably sounds better on the PC Engine which is a completely different system.

Black Tiger

« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2013, 03:31:46 AM »
My biggest problem with the TG-16 soundtrack is that there's an instrument missing in its rendition of Side Crawler's Dance and that kind of annoys me. I guess because maybe the weak TG-16 doesn't have as many sound channels as the Master System. It probably sounds better on the PC Engine which is a completely different system.

That's the one track that sounds the most improved to me and is the only one which is hard to listen to on SMS.

Which instrument do you think is missing? I just listened to both versions again and it sounds like the Turbo version only improved the music by taking two instruments off of the same channel, so that they don't have to take turns.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 05:09:52 AM by Black Tiger »

Mzo

« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2013, 08:33:05 AM »
This is one of my favorite game series, and it's what actually led me to finally get into PCE/TG16 games.

Imagine my profound sadness when I saw what Dynastic Hero is selling for these days.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2013, 11:06:26 AM »

Which instrument do you think is missing? I just listened to both versions again and it sounds like the Turbo version only improved the music by taking two instruments off of the same channel, so that they don't have to take turns.

This one:http://www.joeredifer.com/crap/WB3channel.mp3

After listening to the Turbo version again it's definitely there, but it's really quiet. After the song loops at :36 or so the instrument gets more energetic. The Turbo version does this as well but you can barely hear it. The Turbo version sounds like it is simply looping whereas on the SMS version you can clearly tell that new notes are being played. I want to hear those notes, they're a great part of the melody and don't deserve to be stuffed into the background like that. The song needs more energy and variety and the way they ported the tune did not provide this. Instead they just sped it up for no reason.

esteban

« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2013, 12:09:14 AM »
I love that Joe pointed this out!   For the record, this is one of the best SMS soundtracks of all time.

FOR LAZY BASTARDS:

*** VERSUS ***

STATUS: If you listen to the links above, and the selection Joe provided, it is pretty clear PCE version has a different arrangement. However, THEY ARE BOTH FANTASTIC! I couldn't say one was categorically better than the other, since they are both lovely  

This one:http://www.joeredifer.com/crap/WB3channel.mp3

After listening to the Turbo version again it's definitely there, but it's really quiet. After the song loops at :36 or so the instrument gets more energetic. The Turbo version does this as well but you can barely hear it. The Turbo version sounds like it is simply looping whereas on the SMS version you can clearly tell that new notes are being played. I want to hear those notes, they're a great part of the melody and don't deserve to be stuffed into the background like that. The song needs more energy and variety and the way they ported the tune did not provide this. Instead they just sped it up for no reason.

Yeah, I hear what you are saying. The PCE version totally holds its own, despite the changes in arrangement, though.  

« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 12:20:09 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2013, 05:10:00 PM »
All I have to say is if you ignore any of the different incarnations of Wonder boy iv you are really missing out. I just recently picked up Dragon's Curse again after I won it in a raffle here.