Author Topic: Should there be a new powerful dedicated 2D/arcade console?  (Read 739 times)

RCduck7

Should there be a new powerful dedicated 2D/arcade console?
« on: August 30, 2005, 09:08:58 AM »
Now and then we have 2D releases on the differnet current gen consoles and with the dreamcast that supposed to be dead we got the gem that was Ikagura and that also came out for the Gamecube.
Others like psyvariar 2, borderdown and chaos field were released for the DC not to long ago.
What if that new dedicated console was also home to the new beat 'em ups like king of fighters with retro feel?
What if they released a remake from Radiant Silvergun for it with the original game included?
We would never again have to own all the next gen consoles to get our 2D fix from that game on this console and that game on the other.
It would not take ages to develop a game for it and the price of the games would be cheaper as a result.

Is there a market for a new 2D console?
Should it be NEC to come up with it?
Isn't any firm considering it?
don't be human... be peacefull

esteban

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 09:56:32 AM »
While I love the idea, I think a new 2D console would occupy such a small niche in the current market that most of the big software developers wouldn't consider it worth their time and energy.

That is not to say that a 2D console couldn't do well (i.e. you don't need a lot of marketshare, you just need to be profitable -- look at Nintendo and the Gamecube... they actually were making a profit on hardware sales, unlike MS and their XBOX).

But here's the hook: the games. If you don't have a lot of support from the big name developers... success would rely upon "indie" publishers supplying quality games.  Unfortunately, I don't think there yet exists a network of small-scale developers / publishers who are up for this challenge (and it would be a challenge to convince folks to buy new games that are unassociated with the popular franchises of past and present).

Bottom line: I would love a new 2D console, but software support is a likely stumbling block. Why would  Capcom take the time to support a 2D console when they can release the same product on PS3 and make boatloads of cash? Sad, but true: money rules.
  |    | 

RCduck7

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 10:27:16 AM »
Quote from: "stevek666"

Bottom line: I would love a new 2D console, but software support is a likely stumbling block. Why would  Capcom take the time to support a 2D console when they can release the same product on PS3 and make boatloads of cash? Sad, but true: money rules.

Dunno i read all these complaints on how the smaller developers have to close down as they can't afford to invest in PS3, and for big budget companies like EA and ubisoft who can afford to make a game that doesn't sell and give a lot of the opposition no chance in the process.
This would be the humble but dedicated developers their chance to be back in the running and to develop for a system that wouldn't be such a stumbling block.

These small teams of dedicated developers that released the games i mentioned above for the DC are crying out for something like this (have read an article in Edge magazine about it) as they can't get the money together to develop for the next gen consoles.

esteban

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 11:07:25 AM »
Quote from: "RCduck7"
Quote from: "stevek666"

Dunno i read all these complaints on how the smaller developers have to close down as they can't afford to invest in PS3, and for big budget companies like EA and ubisoft who can afford to make a game that doesn't sell and give a lot of the opposition no chance in the process.
This would be the humble but dedicated developers their chance to be back in the running and to develop for a system that wouldn't be such a stumbling block.

These small teams of dedicated developers that released the games i mentioned above for the DC are crying out for something like this (have read an article in Edge magazine about it) as they can't get the money together to develop for the next gen consoles.
Yes, I hear you :). I want to be optimistic about the prospect for indie developers as well! It really would be wonderful!

I didn't intend to sound dismissive of your idea, but rather pessimistic about the state of the video game industry. Sorry :).
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 01:13:21 PM »
A new 2D dedicated console is always nice.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

dj898

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 01:52:09 PM »
nah!
what we need is a company bought the license and release reworked NeoGeo in more compact and at much much lower price with all the back catalogue in wallet friendly price - say $25-30 per pop and if you buy 4-5 titles at once transaction you get the console for free otherwise $45+ per unit...

he he

zborgerd

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 02:07:42 PM »
Quote from: "dj898"
nah!
what we need is a company bought the license and release reworked NeoGeo in more compact and at much much lower price with all the back catalogue in wallet friendly price - say $25-30 per pop and if you buy 4-5 titles at once transaction you get the console for free otherwise $45+ per unit...

he he

I'd buy it!  Majesco?  They did it with a few SEGA systems.  :)

TJ

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 02:14:50 PM »
I'm pretty sure the GBA and the DS are the current 2D systems. I've often thought about a new console for 2D classics and new "old-school" style games, but then I realized that that's what's still happening in the handheld scene. 2D ain't dead, it just got portable.

rolins

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 04:12:46 PM »
I great idea for the 2D portables would be to revive the Turbo Express. Using modern tech. to create a streamlined and compact version of the TE, similar to the Blaze Pocket Famicom.

nodtveidt

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 05:10:59 PM »
I could always revive my Leviathan project...if I could get funding for it and secure some hardware licenses.

dj898

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 05:22:36 PM »
Quote from: "rolins"
I great idea for the 2D portables would be to revive the Turbo Express. Using modern tech. to create a streamlined and compact version of the TE, similar to the Blaze Pocket Famicom.

Yep at the size not much bigger than old gameboy pocket with the battery life for 30+ days...
now we are talkin'...

RCduck7

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2005, 04:51:02 AM »
Quote from: "TJ"
I'm pretty sure the GBA and the DS are the current 2D systems. I've often thought about a new console for 2D classics and new "old-school" style games, but then I realized that that's what's still happening in the handheld scene. 2D ain't dead, it just got portable.

I have the gameboy player attached to my Gamecube, it's not really the same as the real thing but that's not the biggest problem.
Most 2D games on the gba are the same as on the snes and not completely new games unless it is an important keytitle like Zelda then tey'll bring out a new game to.
The DS seems to fair a bit better.
It's a bit of the same situation the PSP is in right now.
Why would i play granturismo, ridge racer or wipeout on the move when i can enjoy it on PS2 on the big screen at home?
I think the PSP makes only sense for those who travel a lot.
But the PSP is not a dedicated 2D handheld (don't want to stray away to much from the topic).

rolins

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2005, 05:27:08 AM »
Quote from: "nodtveidt"
I could always revive my Leviathan project...if I could get funding for it and secure some hardware licenses.

What is the Leviathan project about?

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2005, 05:39:30 AM »
Same here. Is the Leviathan Project supposed to be a future indie 2-D system?

Your best bet would be those Japanese groups that still support 2-D gaming with their "doujinshi/fan made" 2-D games. They really care about us.

In case you're not quite knowledgeable about the doujinshi gaming scene, here's a link to a message board that totally supports it.

http://kalciane.tnim.org/mb/index.php?sid=7c23c60d94b2568568a84eeb10def6bc

nodtveidt

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2005, 12:36:21 PM »
Leviathan...I posted something about it either here or on magic engine's forum...basically it was an x86-based console I was developing (sort of like the xbox...only without Microsoft's saturation and boneheaded, glaring flaws in the design) that was powerful enough to handle cutting edge 3D games but also versatile enough to handle nice 2D games as well. In fact, I had developed quite a powerful 2D gaming API for the system (over 4 billion sprites of custom size, sixteen independant background layers, custom and default font rendering methods, sprite-to-background and sprite-to-sprite priority levels, sprite-to-sprite collision [both bounding box and pixel-perfect methods were used], and the usual fare of alpha blending and scaling/rotation/skewing). The hardware was pretty decent too...although I would most certainly improve it if it was to compete in today's market (at the time, it laid all three consoles to shame by a long shot...XBox, PS2, and GC...but it would have a hard time competing with the upcoming consoles with its original specifications). The problem was securing licenses for the manufacture of the machine...so I abandoned the project after its one and only prototype build (which I unfortunately do not possess any longer).