Author Topic: Anyone playing Super Bonk?  (Read 1966 times)

nat

Re: Anyone playing Super Bonk?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 01:37:19 PM »

I think we're talking about different tabs.

I assume you're referring to the two plastic tabs located by the cartridge slot on the inside of the SNES which if properly snapped off allow a Super Famicom Cartridge to fit into the SNES cartridge slot?

I was referring to the same tabs, but also that a slightly easier thing to do is buy a 5.00 used SNES game genie allows use of 99% of SFC games as well

Taking 4 seconds to snap off 2 dinky little tabs = Easier
Logging on to eBay, searching up a Game Genie, buying it, waiting for it to show up = Harder

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 03:16:17 PM »

Taking 4 seconds to snap off 2 dinky little tabs = Easier
Logging on to eBay, searching up a Game Genie, buying it, waiting for it to show up = Harder

I guess it depends if it requires use of ebay for you, I see game genies all the time in the wild. But I also go around looking for used games on a near daily basis.
--DragonmasterDan

KingDrool

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 07:15:17 AM »
Not a fan of Super Bonk, but Super Bonk 2 kicks ass. It's just so damn colorful! It's like Hudson saw what Nintendo did with Super Mario World and applied it to Bonk. Really, really cool game and relatively cheap too.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

vestcoat

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 08:25:25 PM »

I think we're talking about different tabs.

I assume you're referring to the two plastic tabs located by the cartridge slot on the inside of the SNES which if properly snapped off allow a Super Famicom Cartridge to fit into the SNES cartridge slot?

I was referring to the same tabs, but also that a slightly easier thing to do is buy a 5.00 used SNES game genie allows use of 99% of SFC games as well (only leaving out those with the FX chips and various other odd accelerator chips). I was doing the Game Genie thing up until I bought Tengai Makyo Zero and discovered it wouldn't work. Then I broke off the tabs on the inside of my system.

Oh, I was talking about tabs of acid.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 05:22:21 PM »
Both Black Tiger & I have never been thrilled with Super Bonk, & have talked about what changes could be made to improve the visuals(which are mostly very dull both in color & construction), music(most of it is just very bland & sounds nothing like classic Bonk music, though there are a few songs that shine, like Saber & Juicy), sound effects(most of the sound effects seem dull & unapealling, I miss the sound from Bonk's 1 & 2!), playability(Bonk seems to walk slower IMO, plus we've discussed spinning speed, among other things).  I think it'd be cool to tackle remaking this game on the Turbob someday, along with all the other non-Turbob Bonk's, fixing them in the process.  But, that's just one of many dreams of mine, along with ports of Contra, Super C, Golden Axe(to fix what was blasphemy that is the current Turbob version!), Battletoads(maybe with an easier difficulty level), etc.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 05:27:10 PM by ParanoiaDragon »

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2011, 11:41:30 AM »
Battletoads(maybe with an easier difficulty level), etc.

o.O? 'toads was perfect.  No need for easier difficulty!!  :)~

Still, I'd love to see it!!

KingDrool

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2011, 02:05:33 PM »
I played through Super Bonk today based on this thread. I had played bits of it in the past, but never really attempted to finish it.

In all, it's an extremely easy game. I don't think I died until level six, which is the last level. However, level six is an absolute pain in the ass. I won't spoil anything for those who haven't played it, but if you screw up once inside King Drool's tower, you're pretty much hosed. I had 10 lives and pretty much wasted them all after I missed one key jump.

Anyway, about the game itself, I wouldn't say it's terrible, but it's certainly my least favorite of all the Bonk games. The levels just don't have a lot of character, and I really miss the prehistoric theme, which was only present in a small handful of levels. Bonk in modern times and in space is a funny concept, but after a while I was just pining to get back to the jungle. In addition, too much time is spent roaming around bland-looking mazes and inside the intestines of enemies. Seriously, it's as though the folks making this game saw the inside-the-dino level of Bonk's Adventure and became obsessed with it.

Also, what's with all the bonus levels? There seems to be one about every thirty seconds; sometimes more. It really breaks up the action and gets seriously repetitive.

As mentioned above, the way Bonk moves and bonks is kinda sluggish, and the music lacks the charm and tunefulness of the first two Turbo games. This one reminds me a lot of Bonk III CD, both in theme, gameplay, and audio.

So that's that. Next I think I'll try to finish Super Bonk 2, which I always considered to be a much better game.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

vestcoat

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2011, 02:15:46 PM »
Also, what's with all the bonus levels? There seems to be one about every thirty seconds; sometimes more. It really breaks up the action and gets seriously repetitive.
Amen.  You just put into words my biggest gripe with many of the Bonk games - too much crap breaking up the action.
Bonk's Adventure was perfect.
Bonk's revenge added a few too many bonus stages.
Bonk 3 broke up the action with too much size changing.
Super Bonk went overboard with WAY too many bonus stages, too much size changing, and too much intestinal spelunking.   

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »
I was curious how people feel about the giant forms, where you become a bird & dinosaur?  If those forms were removed from the game, & it just used bigger versions of each meat level, would it make any difference to anyone?

KingDrool

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2011, 03:08:22 AM »
I was curious how people feel about the giant forms, where you become a bird & dinosaur?  If those forms were removed from the game, & it just used bigger versions of each meat level, would it make any difference to anyone?

Slightly, but not enough to make me think it's a good game. The bird and dinosaur bits are kind of lame, IMO, and I'd much rather see a giant, bad ass Bonk. But yeah...the rest of the game is still just so-so.

Got one to sell? PM me!

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2011, 06:01:41 PM »
I believe that's how Black Tiger feels, & I'm starting to agree.  There are some things about those forms I like, but, more & more I'm leaning towards prefering basically bigger versions of the Bonk without the bird or dino stuff.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 11:56:38 PM »

I thought the form changes were a nice bonus. It allowed you to fly to previously inaccessible areas. It reminded me a bit of a Mario game with different costumes.
--DragonmasterDan

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 05:32:41 PM »
...Fly?  I didn't remember being able to fly as the bird or dinosaur, so, I just booted the game up again, & the only way I can get Bonk to fly is when he grabs that flower parasol thing like in previous game :-k  Am I missing something?  I know they did reuse that bird mode for Super Bonk 2, & you can fly in that one as the bird, but, I can't seem to fly in the first one.

Also, I think a good point was made, that there are waaaaay too many bonus levels, it really does slow down the game!

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2011, 12:25:29 PM »
...Fly?  I didn't remember being able to fly as the bird or dinosaur, so, I just booted the game up again, & the only way I can get Bonk to fly is when he grabs that flower parasol thing like in previous game :-k  Am I missing something?  I know they did reuse that bird mode for Super Bonk 2, & you can fly in that one as the bird, but, I can't seem to fly in the first one.

Also, I think a good point was made, that there are waaaaay too many bonus levels, it really does slow down the game!

I was talking about Super Bonk 2.
--DragonmasterDan

c0ldb33r

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2011, 12:53:38 PM »
To anyone that dislikes Super Bonk - which do you like more, Bonk 3 or Super Bonk?
Member of the F@ck EBAY Club