Author Topic: Anyone playing Super Bonk?  (Read 1964 times)

16bit

Anyone playing Super Bonk?
« on: July 07, 2011, 11:03:52 AM »
So I dusted off my Wii the other day and to my surprise there was a new Bonk game available in the VC store that I had no idea even existed.....SUPER BONK!  :dance:

Super Bonk was released on the SNES in 1994 and is similar in style to Bonk III. I was thrilled to learn it was published by Hudson Soft. I've read a few reviews that did not like some of the changes (for example, Bonk can turn into a Dinosaur now), but so far I am enjoying the game...it has that classic Bonk feel, with the same graphics and all the old enemies I remember bonking as a wee lad.

I've only played a few levels but it just feels great to be playing a Bonk game in 2011....this will take some of the sting off of the cancellation of Brink of Extinction for sure!

Who else has played Super Bonk? Thoughts?

nat

Re: Anyone playing Super Bonk?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 11:54:22 AM »
Super Bonk (Bonk "4") is old news.... Not exactly an obscure game, came out back in the day, even in the U.S. It's by FAR my least favorite of the 5 16-bit console Bonk games. Seems to me people that don't like Bonk 3 would, on principle alone, absolutely despise part 4 since it's all the the things people complain about 3 and more... I say this only for people who've never played it, are thinking about picking it up, and already know they don't like 3.

Personally, I don't like it because it (in my opinion) lacks any sort of individuality, is very bland visually and has that lifeless SNES synth sound to the audio. It feels like a cheap attempt to cash-in on Bonk's popularity on a more popular platform.

If you weren't aware of this game, then there's absolutely zero chance you're aware of a fifth game in the series-- Super Bonk 2, also on the SNES, although it's the only console Bonk that didn't come out in the U.S. I don't know if it's available on the VC (probably not), but it's better than both Revenge and 4 as far as I'm concerned. They really went back to the drawing board with SB2 which, let's face it, was desperately needed after the four previous games were more or less cut from the same mould.

16bit

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
If you weren't aware of this game, then there's absolutely zero chance you're aware of a fifth game in the series-- Super Bonk 2, also on the SNES, although it's the only console Bonk that didn't come out in the U.S. I don't know if it's available on the VC (probably not), but it's better than both Revenge and 4 as far as I'm concerned. They really went back to the drawing board with SB2 which, let's face it, was desperately needed after the four previous games were more or less cut from the same mould.

Yeah, I never bought an SNES...I was content with my TG16+CD and knew the Turbo Duo was coming out (plus they had that awesome trade in deal). So I pretty much missed the SNES era, and had no idea the Bonk franchise existed on that console. Makes sense though, since NEC was a sinking ship around '94 I believe.

Will have to check for Super Bonk 2 within the emulation realm. Thanks for the info!

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 01:34:45 PM »
So I dusted off my Wii the other day and to my surprise there was a new Bonk game available in the VC store that I had no idea even existed.....SUPER BONK!  :dance:

Super Bonk was released on the SNES in 1994 and is similar in style to Bonk III. I was thrilled to learn it was published by Hudson Soft. I've read a few reviews that did not like some of the changes (for example, Bonk can turn into a Dinosaur now), but so far I am enjoying the game...it has that classic Bonk feel, with the same graphics and all the old enemies I remember bonking as a wee lad.

I've only played a few levels but it just feels great to be playing a Bonk game in 2011....this will take some of the sting off of the cancellation of Brink of Extinction for sure!

Who else has played Super Bonk? Thoughts?

I've have it on SNES, it reminds me a lot of Bonk 3. I also have.... dun dun dun daaaaa.... Super Bonk 2 which is a Japan only release. It's quite a bit better than Super Bonk 1 and even has a map screen.
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 02:15:33 PM »
Wow. If Super Bonk impresses you that much the SNES/SFC Bomberman games are going to blow your f*cking mind.

vestcoat

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 08:43:29 PM »
Yeah, Super Bonk 2 is good.  Track down that Super Famicom cart and rip off your SNES tabs!

vestcoat

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 08:44:34 PM »
Wow. If Super Bonk impresses you that much the SNES/SFC Bomberman games are going to blow your f*cking mind.
Some of them have co-op modes that are a nice addition!

Jibbajaba

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 08:05:39 AM »
I'll have to give the games a shot with my Super Everdrive.  I never knew that they existed.

Chris

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 01:39:45 PM »
Yeah, Super Bonk 2 is good.  Track down that Super Famicom cart and rip off your SNES tabs!

Oh just a quick note, as long as your SFC cart doesn't have expansion chips (FX chip etc) it won't require the two end tabs on the SNES. If you don't want to chop up a SNES, you can buy a used SNES Game Genie cut the tabs off and use that as a converter as well.

The game genie doesn't have the two side tabs though, so games with expansion chips will not work :(

--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 03:56:48 PM »
Or you could use an XBand, which has the correct number of pins and works with FX games.

Or you could just rip the tabs out. It takes about 1 minute, costs nothing, and is more or less undetectable. Its not like SNES systems are collectible or attractive or anything like that. Ugly purple box, probably yellowed, street value $35.

nat

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 04:47:41 PM »
That's what I did. And talk about ugly-- half my SNES (bottom half of the shell) is the same color as your first piss of the morning while the top half is still the original color.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 05:04:07 PM »
Yeah, the (US) SNES was never pretty, but I've seen some ugly f*cking systems in the used shops and such.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 06:04:04 AM »
Ok, I know I'm weird, but I enjoyed Super Bonk JUST as much as the Turbob versions.  I found the mini games to be a fine addition.  The music reminded me of other Hudson games from the SNES years (which I loved!)

Super Bonk 2 is Excellent, probably better than the first SNES outing. I didn't discover that one until much later though and haven't played it all the way through, so It is a bit hard to judge it.  I'm also a HUGE fan of Bonk 3, I guess it mostly is because of the 2 player option, and just too many late nights laughing my ass off with friends. 

That's what I did. And talk about ugly-- half my SNES (bottom half of the shell) is the same color as your first piss of the morning while the top half is.....
the same color as your last piss at night!   :D

Nintendo used some cheap ass plastic on the SNES......

vestcoat

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 06:13:42 AM »
Yeah, Super Bonk 2 is good.  Track down that Super Famicom cart and rip off your SNES tabs!

Oh just a quick note, as long as your SFC cart doesn't have expansion chips (FX chip etc) it won't require the two end tabs on the SNES. If you don't want to chop up a SNES, you can buy a used SNES Game Genie cut the tabs off and use that as a converter as well.

The game genie doesn't have the two side tabs though, so games with expansion chips will not work :(
I think we're talking about different tabs.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 07:47:46 AM »

I think we're talking about different tabs.

I assume you're referring to the two plastic tabs located by the cartridge slot on the inside of the SNES which if properly snapped off allow a Super Famicom Cartridge to fit into the SNES cartridge slot?

I was referring to the same tabs, but also that a slightly easier thing to do is buy a 5.00 used SNES game genie allows use of 99% of SFC games as well (only leaving out those with the FX chips and various other odd accelerator chips). I was doing the Game Genie thing up until I bought Tengai Makyo Zero and discovered it wouldn't work. Then I broke off the tabs on the inside of my system.
--DragonmasterDan