Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 30613 times)

RyuHayabusa

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #555 on: September 16, 2015, 08:49:45 AM »
Never was much into anime, but I still love Fist of the North Star. Watched the movie and the first part of the Fuji TV cartoon (literally the first part, the episode where Kenshiro kills Shin). Might watch the rest of the episodes.

The Raoh vs Rei fight from the movie is probably the most badass scene ever.

! No longer available

Still my favorite anime series of all time. The movie was one of the first anime I watched and I was hooked after that. You might want to watch further into the TV series. I actually think it doesn't get that good until after the Shin series and Raoh is introduced.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 09:16:28 AM by RyuHayabusa »

xelement5x

Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

geise

« Reply #557 on: September 18, 2015, 07:38:57 AM »
I loved the Streamline release of FotNS.  Rei: "Looking for these?" The translation was great! lol.  Not really, but added enjoyment for me to the movie.

RyuHayabusa

« Reply #558 on: September 18, 2015, 01:24:06 PM »
I loved the Streamline release of FotNS.  Rei: "Looking for these?" The translation was great! lol.  Not really, but added enjoyment for me to the movie.

Lol, I showed that scene to my wife a while back and, let's just say she's not a fan.

Punch

« Reply #559 on: September 18, 2015, 05:33:32 PM »
I watched the streamline translation too. It makes a lot of changes to the story but it's for the best, considering it's a standalone movie in the US (ie no anime or manga already on the market), the movie is very vague for someone who doesn't know Fist, especially the ending, where... well you know if you watched, no spoilers here. In the US dub they magnified the importance of the flower and the bag of seeds, to "restore earth" so to say, which wasn't really the original idea of the movie.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

deadly_duck

« Reply #561 on: September 21, 2015, 03:58:55 AM »
I don't think Baccano! has been mentioned.

Gantz is also interesting; not great, but interesting.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #562 on: September 21, 2015, 04:12:37 PM »
Found vol 3, 5, 6 of R.O.D. TV

Or

Read or die as it is also known at a local CD Exchange complete for $5 each.

Sweet!

Now to find 1, 2, 4, & 7.

Sadly this is a very hard DV series to fin. Loved the OVA as well. Which I still have but sadly it was back when I threw out all of my DVD cases and put them all in a DVD binder. Sigh.

Anyone else watch this short lived but fantastic series?

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #563 on: September 21, 2015, 07:25:19 PM »
Read or Die is great, I have the series & the prequal on one of those so called "perfect collection" dvd's sets.  I think I originally saw it on Cartoon Network back when they used to show more anime.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #564 on: September 22, 2015, 03:01:41 AM »
Read or Die is great, I have the series & the prequal on one of those so called "perfect collection" dvd's sets.  I think I originally saw it on Cartoon Network back when they used to show more anime.

It was something that was so flashy and James Bond like that I gravitated to it. I know I bought the OVA or Movie as I think they called it originally when it first came out. I remember buying it new at a music DVD store at the local mall based on the back cover art and that it looked like it might be fun.

The movie or OVA for the first time in a long long time felt like I really got my money's worth.

Mind you this was when they would give you maybe two episodes off a anime show per DVD and each DVD cost $35 retail.

When the TV show came out I believe it was on Toonamie where I ended up DVRing it and still have the whole series in my binder full of DVRs.

This along with Planets I doubt will ever get re-released on bluray as the companies who originally brought them to the US are now non existent.

Which sucks because I usually only see complete listings for head two shines on eBay if at all and those go for between $140-220.

xelement5x

« Reply #565 on: September 22, 2015, 03:48:13 AM »
The ROD OVA is lots of fun, the soundtrack alone is phenomenal and from what I remember the animation quality was great.  ROD the TV is pretty good, I watched it a long time a go though.  The OST on it is solid too though, I think it was brought out by Pioneer/Geneon or the another of those IP holders which has disappeared. 

Gotta love that Nancy ;)
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

RyuHayabusa

« Reply #566 on: September 23, 2015, 01:24:35 PM »
Just finished watching Vampire Hunter D on Blu-ray. The colors and clarity are pretty damn good. However, there is a good amount of visible grain in some parts and the new dub isn't as good as the original in my opinion. Hoping that more classic 80s anime gets the Blu-ray treatment soon.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #567 on: September 23, 2015, 01:32:24 PM »
Just finished watching Vampire Hunter D on Blu-ray. The colors and clarity are pretty damn good. However, there is a good amount of visible grain in some parts and the new dub isn't as good as the original in my opinion. Hoping that more classic 80s anime gets the Blu-ray treatment soon.

HUGE video upgrade.

But yeah, I like the old dub more, the writing in the old dub even more so than the voice acting.
--DragonmasterDan

xelement5x

« Reply #568 on: September 23, 2015, 03:45:42 PM »
Today I watched a little short called Pale Cocoon.  It's about 23 minutes long and was a neat little story, takes place in a world where one man's job basically is decryption data from the past to learn about what Earth was like and then stumbling upon a piece of data that leads to more questions. 

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #569 on: September 28, 2015, 01:46:02 PM »
As many people here know I love old hand drawn anime from the 60s-90s.

Discotek's release of the 1970s Toei Douga version of The Little Mermaid arrived today. I watched and was quite entertained.
--DragonmasterDan