Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 30656 times)

ParanoiaDragon

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #870 on: August 27, 2017, 04:26:26 PM »
Speaking of great anime, I just discovered this!  I wish it was real!

https://youtu.be/8UHWQaAjcZg

SignOfZeta

« Reply #871 on: August 27, 2017, 04:50:22 PM »

My kid (2) loves Lupin now. I have this weird Cagliostro LD that came out in the late 90s that has two soundtracks 1) the 1992 Streamline dub and 2) music and FX isolated. It also comes with a script so you could dub it yourself if you hate Carl Macek so f*cking much.

So anyway, he fell in love with that movie so I got him the Discotek BR, which is amazing, and even has the same 1992 dub on it.

Any chance you know the LDDB entry or anything on which LD of Cagliostro has an English dub on it?

Lupin the 3rd: Cagliostro no Shirou (Castle of Cagliostro) (1979) [TLL 2473]

SignOfZeta

« Reply #872 on: August 27, 2017, 05:36:23 PM »
Robotech

That's the funny thing I grew up watching it so I enjoy it. Sure I think everyone be knows it's actually three shows merged into a single show. It's funny how things like this seems to become more enjoyable to some then the original versions. Much like your Mario Bros 2, Transformers made form merged toy lines, and what not.

Considering the two or three box sets I am missing go for $10 or less I plan on picking them up sooner or later.

I'd say Robotech is clearly worse. Obviously just my opinion but I didn't like how they changed characters around. Southern Cross just sucks so there is that. I greatly prefer the original versions of Macross and Genesis Climber Mospeada.

But I mean if you do want it you might as well go for it. I have a couple lying around I'll double check to see if they are the ones you need. I could just throw them in with your raffle package for you. For free of course.

I really love the way Macek's dubs sounded. I like those voice actors and the shitty compressed sound of his mixer. I still watch "Robotech" once in a while. I wish the people who made dubs now would learn a few things from the old Streamline dubs, as annoying as the "localizations" could be some times.

However as an overall product I'm really just a Macross fan. I have Mospeada and its cool, but its no Macross and Southern Cross is really lame. Making Southern Cross part of Robotech made Southern Cross *slightly* more interesting, but the same process makes Macross worse. Obviously anything "Robotech" other than the shit licensed from Japan is f*cking garbage and I hope HG goes out of business as soon as possible. They only make things worse for Macross's actual creators and owners.

As an American kid I only had access to the Robotech version of the show but there was never a time I didn't know it was three shows because I was already buying the model kits before the shows aired. A guy I'd get 'zine style catalogs from hand wrote something like "Macross coming to American TV, check your local listings!" or something like that in the lower margin of one catalog. (In the master, before he photocopied it 100 times). The same one had listings for Gundam, Yamato, Super Police, Crusher Joe, and SFin3D, what is now called Maschinen Krueger. Those catalogs were so f*cking exciting! That "Summer '84" logo they used to promote DYRL made me wonder what all that was about but I wouldn't see the movie until my friend joined the army and brought back a pirate VHS of the f*cked up English dubbed version. I later learned that this version had already been released in the US years back, I'm pretty sure before Robotech, with some scenes cut out of it as Clash of the Bionoids. My video store didn't have this even though they had a bunch of other FHE anime releases like Harlock, Phoenix, Revenge of the Ninja (Dagger of Kamui) that predated US Renditions or Animeigo, or any of those companies. What a weird chain of events...

I eventually ran into that guy on Facebook and he's really nice. He's into Star Trek and runs SciFi cruises and stuff. I guess the whole model catalog thing happened because he knew a guy in Japan at the time and when he quit being his source that was when the catalogs stopped.

Back then a Gundam model was like $3, and even that was after a huge markup. It was crazy cheap. Kids these days have it rough with these 3800yen MGs. That's fine for the anoraks but what are the poor kids supposed to play with? Plastic models used to be the vastly cheaper alternative to a Chougokin or whatever and one that kinda did a better job of teaching the kid a thing or two...

esteban

« Reply #873 on: August 28, 2017, 01:00:55 AM »

My kid (2) loves Lupin now. I have this weird Cagliostro LD that came out in the late 90s that has two soundtracks 1) the 1992 Streamline dub and 2) music and FX isolated. It also comes with a script so you could dub it yourself if you hate Carl Macek so f*cking much.

So anyway, he fell in love with that movie so I got him the Discotek BR, which is amazing, and even has the same 1992 dub on it.

Any chance you know the LDDB entry or anything on which LD of Cagliostro has an English dub on it?

Lupin the 3rd: Cagliostro no Shirou (Castle of Cagliostro) (1979) [TLL 2473]

My daughter has never seen Lupin....

I am debating going to see this tonight:

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/studio-ghibli-fest-castle-in-the-sky

...because I just went to the Five Doctors (rifftrax) with her and it was so much fun...

Helped me remember why I loved the theatre when I was younger...even though we were watching Dr. Who 4:3

...but, Caligostro isn't at my local theatre (a minute away), so I am being an old person and complaining about having to drive 15 minutes to see Caligostro (I know it sounds so stupid).

Obviously, I posted this hoping it would help me make a decision. As in, just typing I out helped a bit, for starters.

:)
  |    | 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #874 on: August 28, 2017, 02:12:59 AM »
Cagliostro isn't G rated. It's not early Lupin or anything, he had been almost sanitized even by 1979, but it's not as clean as Totoro. The Count gets smooshed in the end and the death toll is more than zero on the generic thug side. Also, depending on which dub they were showing there may be swearing. Carl Macek's dub is clean, but they will probably not be showing that and the new one is only "clean" if you select it on the DVD.

I don't know why they put actual "swear words" in a movie like this. You can just say "crap" or "darn". Most English profanity has no Japanese equivalent anyway.

Overall it gets a 2 year old hooked pretty quick. The movie opens with a chase, then some credits, then another chase. It's quiet and old fashioned and nothing vomits 200db rainbows onto you like The Secret Life Of Pets which I have to say I'm just about done with watching...

Gypsy

« Reply #875 on: August 28, 2017, 08:32:29 AM »

I really love the way Macek's dubs sounded. I like those voice actors and the shitty compressed sound of his mixer. I still watch "Robotech" once in a while. I wish the people who made dubs now would learn a few things from the old Streamline dubs, as annoying as the "localizations" could be some times.

However as an overall product I'm really just a Macross fan. I have Mospeada and its cool, but its no Macross and Southern Cross is really lame. Making Southern Cross part of Robotech made Southern Cross *slightly* more interesting, but the same process makes Macross worse. Obviously anything "Robotech" other than the shit licensed from Japan is f*cking garbage and I hope HG goes out of business as soon as possible. They only make things worse for Macross's actual creators and owners.

It would be nice if we could ever see US releases of DYRL, Frontier and Delta. Not holding my breath though obviously, and I've already watched them all via the means that I was forced into.

Cagliostro isn't G rated. It's not early Lupin or anything, he had been almost sanitized even by 1979, but it's not as clean as Totoro. The Count gets smooshed in the end and the death toll is more than zero on the generic thug side. Also, depending on which dub they were showing there may be swearing. Carl Macek's dub is clean, but they will probably not be showing that and the new one is only "clean" if you select it on the DVD.

I don't know why they put actual "swear words" in a movie like this. You can just say "crap" or "darn". Most English profanity has no Japanese equivalent anyway.

Overall it gets a 2 year old hooked pretty quick. The movie opens with a chase, then some credits, then another chase. It's quiet and old fashioned and nothing vomits 200db rainbows onto you like The Secret Life Of Pets which I have to say I'm just about done with watching...

It's a pretty good movie, imo.

I think I'm going to try the Fujiko show and Jigen's Gravestone soon. I've seen almost everything Lupin, but not these. This stuff is near the top of my to buy list, along with a lot of Gundam BDs that RS has put out. Even if they don't benefit greatly from being on BD (they probably don't) the lower disc count is a wonderful boon.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #876 on: August 28, 2017, 10:34:34 AM »
Have you seen Lupin III: Secret File? That thing is like maximum disc count. It's 37min and shipped as an 8" LD double pack wasting more space than any LD that isn't a promo.

I love it.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #877 on: August 28, 2017, 09:57:16 PM »

I think I'm going to try the Fujiko show and Jigen's Gravestone soon. I've seen almost everything Lupin, but not these. 

Just as a quick note this is waaaaaay more adult oriented than other Lupin shows and movies. So know what you're going into ahead of time.
--DragonmasterDan

xelement5x

« Reply #878 on: August 29, 2017, 04:54:21 AM »
Continuing my trend of watching stuff that is sure to give Zeta heartburn I've been watching Little Witch Academia recently and it's a cute fun little show.  Netflix is really stepping it up in the anime department, it really makes me wonder if Crunchyroll is going to be able to survive long term going up against Netflix and the Funimation/Sony partnership. 
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

SignOfZeta

« Reply #879 on: August 29, 2017, 05:04:03 AM »
I rarely find anything on the streaming services that isn't loli-shite...dubbed at that.

Gypsy

« Reply #880 on: August 29, 2017, 06:09:41 AM »

I think I'm going to try the Fujiko show and Jigen's Gravestone soon. I've seen almost everything Lupin, but not these. 

Just as a quick note this is waaaaaay more adult oriented than other Lupin shows and movies. So know what you're going into ahead of time.

Yep. I've heard it's excellent and the ending is sick.

Might be awhile before I get to it though. I've got...Mobile Suit Gundam, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam and Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ BDs all coming in. I'm absolutely going to watch them all, but yeah it's going to take awhile.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #881 on: August 29, 2017, 07:01:28 AM »

Yep. I've heard it's excellent and the ending is sick.

I liked it. There's a Goemon follow up that came out in Japan earlier this year as well.
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

« Reply #883 on: September 03, 2017, 10:18:36 AM »
That's a terrific deal. Each of those discs is worth that.

Gypsy

« Reply #884 on: September 03, 2017, 12:42:29 PM »
Started on MS Gundam and enjoying it. Also went ahead and grabbed F91 and Char's Counterattack. Still a lot more to acquire and try out. Really pleased that loads of it is available on BD here now.