Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 30669 times)

Gypsy

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #1005 on: January 25, 2018, 02:09:55 PM »
The animation is fantastic really.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #1006 on: January 26, 2018, 04:57:26 AM »
It doesn’t look like “anime”. There are lots of labor saving long shots but when the action happens it’s animated on 1s. Instead of 2s or 3s. (That is, 24fps instead of 12 or 8 like anime usually is). The character designs are difficult to draw and they knew this and didn’t care. I’d bet the sloppiest cel in this entire production is cleaner than the cleanest Dragonball cel ever.

Here was a time when anime’s most hardcore were so hardcore that the creators and the fandom thought of it as a limitless art form that could do anything. You can see that here.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 05:03:24 AM by SignOfZeta »

seieienbu

« Reply #1007 on: January 26, 2018, 11:14:50 AM »
It doesn’t look like “anime”. There are lots of labor saving long shots but when the action happens it’s animated on 1s. Instead of 2s or 3s. (That is, 24fps instead of 12 or 8 like anime usually is). The character designs are difficult to draw and they knew this and didn’t care. I’d bet the sloppiest cel in this entire production is cleaner than the cleanest Dragonball cel ever.

Here was a time when anime’s most hardcore were so hardcore that the creators and the fandom thought of it as a limitless art form that could do anything. You can see that here.

I'll likely go to my grave thinking that Akira is the finest animated feature ever for these reasons.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

SignOfZeta

« Reply #1008 on: January 26, 2018, 12:01:46 PM »
I don’t like Akira very much but you’re right, it has the exact same spirit.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #1009 on: January 26, 2018, 12:50:48 PM »

I'll likely go to my grave thinking that Akira is the finest animated feature ever for these reasons.

I would love to see Akira redone as a film series more closely following the completed Managa.

Sure the animation will never be matched and most likely be nearly all digital in either coloring or 3D with cel shading.

Yes the film’s screen adaptation was made by the creator with a ending made for the movie as the manga was yet to be completed. Unfortantly without the Managa the film ending is abstract. To a point that it seems disjointed from the rest of the film. 

seieienbu

« Reply #1010 on: January 26, 2018, 02:11:28 PM »
I agree with you on that.  But whatever the ending of the movie compared to the books, Akira has some beautiful art.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Medic_wheat

« Reply #1011 on: January 28, 2018, 02:30:39 PM »
https://youtu.be/g7gsb-XgXes

So I went to YouTube to try and find some videos on Occult Nine (he Aniplex two part Blu-ray). As typically I can only find videos related to the game.

Being an Aniplex NA release it’s pretty expensive for a simple 12 episode series. I found a single video on it. However this guy seemed “odd” to me. As he showed other items he picked up and didn’t seem to know anything pertaining to the items. As bough he was going through the motions of obtaining more anime.

Then I looked through his videos to se if he has a room tour.

The word impressed doesn’t real encapsulate what I think when I saw this. It honesty felt like an episode of Horders that my wife watches. How it spilles over everything. Cluttered. Messy. He stated how some piles are bejmg processed. Other piles being ripped and archived.

I thought. Is this the guy (or other like him) who keep torrent sites in buisness?  Should I thank him for the various external HDD I have filled with Anime back when I use to torrent like crazy?

I also thought wow. Is this what my wife thinks/sees when she looks at my own various collections of (media/comics/figures/video games)?  It makes me want to sell off the whole collections. Meetings only partial gems and going full digital. Just rip everything out it on a server to stream and just ever drive the lot do my older systems.

xelement5x

« Reply #1012 on: January 29, 2018, 04:02:03 AM »

So I went to YouTube to try and find some videos on Occult Nine (he Aniplex two part Blu-ray). As typically I can only find videos related to the game.

Being an Aniplex NA release it’s pretty expensive for a simple 12 episode series. I found a single video on it. However this guy seemed “odd” to me. As he showed other items he picked up and didn’t seem to know anything pertaining to the items. As bough he was going through the motions of obtaining more anime.

Then I looked through his videos to se if he has a room tour.

The word impressed doesn’t real encapsulate what I think when I saw this. It honesty felt like an episode of Horders that my wife watches. How it spilles over everything. Cluttered. Messy. He stated how some piles are bejmg processed. Other piles being ripped and archived.

I thought. Is this the guy (or other like him) who keep torrent sites in buisness?  Should I thank him for the various external HDD I have filled with Anime back when I use to torrent like crazy?

I also thought wow. Is this what my wife thinks/sees when she looks at my own various collections of (media/comics/figures/video games)?  It makes me want to sell off the whole collections. Meetings only partial gems and going full digital. Just rip everything out it on a server to stream and just ever drive the lot do my older systems.

I've said this to many people, but I consider the main difference between a hoarder and a collector is the level of organization that a person has, plus if it is impacting their ability to live. 
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Medic_wheat

« Reply #1013 on: January 29, 2018, 04:20:35 AM »
Oh no. I keep things highly organized and I do not have spillage.

Heck I activity work to ride myself of clutter if possible.

With that said I do lack the additional shelving needed to finish my organizing. Which is why I keep some things in boxes. This was more due to never owning a house previously and being in small apartments.

Granted now it seems I have the space for shelving (have only bought one large all wooden bookshelf) I have it pained for two additional shelves to house the remainder of the collection(s).

Gypsy

« Reply #1014 on: January 29, 2018, 04:22:15 AM »
Hasn't truncated his singles yet?  :lol:

xelement5x

« Reply #1015 on: January 29, 2018, 05:04:37 AM »

You laugh but I found it super useful.  No need for a ton of cases if you can recase them all in a slimpack.  To be honest I'd bet that guy could save a ton of space that way.  His sniffling during the video kind of got to me though.   ](*,)
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Gypsy

« Reply #1016 on: January 29, 2018, 09:02:30 AM »

You laugh but I found it super useful.  No need for a ton of cases if you can recase them all in a slimpack.  To be honest I'd bet that guy could save a ton of space that way.  His sniffling during the video kind of got to me though.   ](*,)

I'm laughing because he should do it. I did it. It was greaaaaaaaat.

TR0N

« Reply #1017 on: January 29, 2018, 05:22:25 PM »
Oh another adaption of go-nagai mazinger-z coming ? :shock:

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

SignOfZeta

« Reply #1018 on: January 30, 2018, 03:49:51 AM »
I will try to see this in the theater but nobody wants to see it with me so I don’t know.

NightWolve

« Reply #1019 on: February 17, 2018, 05:32:11 AM »
I watched "Fist of the North Star" a few days ago, a freebie on Sony's Crackle app/network.

http://m.crackle.com/fist-of-the-north-star

I had a feeling I seen it as a kid which was confirmed when Kenshiro does his death move and lets out that super silly-ous, repetitive "te te te te te te te te te te te te te!!!!!!!!!!" screeching! Hahahaha, horrible voice-acting but funny as hell!

I loved all the 80's enemy musclebound punks with Mohawks and Kenshiro doing a few "death touch" moves on them causing head and bodily explosions in the blink of an eye. That shit is hilariously silly!

All in all, it made me appreciate the live action movie so much more that stars Gary Daniels, Malcolm McDowell, Costas Mandylor, Dante Basco, Sean Penn's brother Chris, and a familiar name from MTV days of old, Downtown Julie Brown. Even then, you'll still find other familiar actors that found their way in it.

While the plot could've used some work, I enjoyed it. Somehow, they scored a pretty epic soundtrack also. I was hoping it'll get remastered to BluRay, but it only exists on DVD. The anime scores much lower for me as it feels more geared to teenage males, it invokes much cringe worthy laughter so I still enjoyed it for what it is.

http://m.crackle.com/wicked-city

I'm tempted to watch "Wicked City" again which is also playing.

When I was kid, Chicago had channel 50, WPWR, which had a program called "Japanimation" that aired every Friday afternoon. You can already figure out what it was, the best animes out of Japan were aired in succession and watching them was how I sometimes spent my Fridays. This is where I saw "Wicked City" and remember being blown away by it. I believe I saw Lupin as well as others that left an impression like "Ghost in the Shell."

Anyway, it's been so many years and I can't even slightly remember the plot of "Wicked City" so it'd be interesting to watch again and see how it holds up for me now as a 42 year-old man, heh.