Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 30660 times)

Punch

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #1020 on: February 17, 2018, 05:50:18 PM »
Kenshiro is Gary Daniels? Hahahah I have to watch that.

On topic: the Fist of the North Star movie has the best "walking like a badass" montage in the history of montages.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 05:54:57 PM by Punch »

Punch

« Reply #1021 on: February 17, 2018, 05:55:36 PM »
EASE MY RONRINESSSSSS

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #1022 on: February 19, 2018, 05:53:41 AM »

When I was kid, Chicago had channel 50, WPWR, which had a program called "Japanimation" that aired every Friday afternoon. You can already figure out what it was, the best animes out of Japan were aired in succession and watching them was how I sometimes spent my Fridays. This is where I saw "Wicked City" and remember being blown away by it. I believe I saw Lupin as well as others that left an impression like "Ghost in the Shell."

Anyway, it's been so many years and I can't even slightly remember the plot of "Wicked City" so it'd be interesting to watch again and see how it holds up for me now as a 42 year-old man, heh.

It was actually WJYS that was running all of those Streamline pictures movies as Japanimation.  And yes, Lupin the Third Castle of Cagliostro aired there, as did Vampire Hunter D, Golgo 13 the Professional, Barefoot Gen, Dirty Pair Affair on Nolandia, Doomed Megapolis, 3x3 eyes and others.
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

« Reply #1023 on: February 19, 2018, 07:32:44 AM »
The entire Streamline catalog, in other words. TBS and SciFi did the same thing.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #1024 on: February 19, 2018, 08:05:34 AM »
The entire Streamline catalog, in other words. TBS and SciFi did the same thing.

There was definitely some stuff they weren't airing during that time frame. It was also very amusing to see movies like Golgo 13 on broadcast TV with mere blurring covering up naughty parts to meet FCC regulations, and then other movies like Barefoot Gen running completely unedited.
--DragonmasterDan

lukester

« Reply #1025 on: February 19, 2018, 09:01:43 AM »
I don't watch much anime. Sometimes I'll watch Dragon Ball or One Piece, though I prefer to read One Piece weekly. The current arc is pretty good. I did watch Season 1 of One Punch Man with my dad, he used to watch Naruto all the time when I was younger but stopped when Sasuke started becoming more edgy.

I did binge watch all of Yu Yu Hakusho a few months back though...would be nice to watch more Fist of North Star sometime.

seieienbu

« Reply #1026 on: February 19, 2018, 12:49:42 PM »
I really liked Yuyu Hakusho until Toguro was defeated.  I didn't enjoy what little I saw afterward so I eventually stopped watching.  But man, that first part?  That was fantastic.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

lukester

« Reply #1027 on: February 19, 2018, 02:41:41 PM »
I really liked Yuyu Hakusho until Toguro was defeated.  I didn't enjoy what little I saw afterward so I eventually stopped watching.  But man, that first part?  That was fantastic.

I loved Chapter Black. Had a different tone to it, I prefer Sensui to Toguro as a villain.
3 Kings Saga was disappointingly short though. The only really good part was that they expanded the lore.

I looked up the differences with the manga...gotta wonder why the ending was shortened and why Yusuke's mom was replaced by Kuwabara's sister. Apparently the first arc was edited down too?

Gypsy

« Reply #1028 on: February 20, 2018, 12:35:10 AM »
YYH is definitely worth finishing.

3 Kings Saga was disappointingly short though. The only really good part was that they expanded the lore.

It's possible they ran out of money but idk. I do know this was an issue for Ranma. Not that the manga ending for Ranma is much better...

Medic_wheat

« Reply #1029 on: February 22, 2018, 02:43:57 AM »
I don’t know why exactly. But I enjoy these reconstructive videos about animation, art, and anime.

Granted at times it feels more that the creator of the video is tying a little to hard to justify their degree in film making.

https://youtu.be/xf0WjeE6eyM

SignOfZeta

« Reply #1030 on: February 22, 2018, 04:03:19 AM »
I don’t know why exactly. But I enjoy these reconstructive videos about animation, art, and anime.

Granted at times it feels more that the creator of the video is tying a little to hard to justify their degree in film making.

https://youtu.be/xf0WjeE6eyM

Yeah, there are a LOT of these now. Some are very good (the Angel’s Egg one I linked) but many are just...a guy going on. I watched one about GitS once and he went on about this ending for quite some time based on a total misobservation.

The issue is too much unearned respect for what they are reviewing. They should watch it 50 times and then make a half hour thing talking about it. That way you don’t end up going on and on about something that’s not even in the movie.

I don’t think you need a film degree to do what this guy did with Akira. This one is quite low end, IMO.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #1031 on: February 22, 2018, 04:32:02 AM »
The art degree was just a jab at the over examination.

No idea if the YouTuber did go to film school. Or art. Or what have you.

I mean heck. They have these deconstructive videos (in general not this specific person) on food in anime

The hidden meaning of panties and fan service in Monotogstari

And so forth.

Gypsy

« Reply #1032 on: February 26, 2018, 09:15:12 AM »
I noticed Robot Carnival has a bluray upcoming so I pre-ordered it.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #1033 on: February 26, 2018, 09:28:55 AM »
I noticed Robot Carnival has a bluray upcoming so I pre-ordered it.

I did a little while back as well.
--DragonmasterDan

NightWolve

« Reply #1034 on: February 27, 2018, 02:12:16 PM »
Kenshiro is Gary Daniels? Hahahah I have to watch that.

You should, in fact, I just found the whole movie on YouTube. Looks like it survived for a whole year without a takedown copyright strike. Epic soundtrack right in the opening, check it out! :)

Narration begins with Malcolm McDowell, well-executed. This had some good things going for it, but they screwed it up. Still like it though as a B-action straight-to-video guilty pleasure, like I said, it has a "Cyborg" feel to it (the 1989 JCVD flick, also in the post-apocalyptic genre) and hopefully they remaster it to BluRay some day so we have something better than 720x480.

Found a purty good retrospective/review about it also.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 04:49:12 PM by NightWolve »