Author Topic: Is there a Turbo/PCE price guide floating around out there?  (Read 1082 times)

16bit

Does anyone know of a price guide for Turbografx/Duo/PC-Engine games? Because if not, I'd like to make one. I saw a price list via search but it looked a bit outdated. Would help to avoid overpaying or to find a set value of your collections. I have a pretty good idea of what games are worth, but I'll take any help I can get. If there is interest in something like this I will get started asap.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Is there a Turbo/PCE price guide floating around out there?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 08:14:18 AM »
As I've said a jillion and one times before, price guides are full of suck.  It's great that you want to start one, but I guarantee that it'll be inaccurate and out of date from day one.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 08:22:03 AM »
As I've said a jillion and one times before, price guides are full of suck.  It's great that you want to start one, but I guarantee that it'll be inaccurate and out of date from day one.

I tried making one a few months ago, prices are fluxing so wildly right now on the open market that it makes it difficult to gauge them. I'm in favor of a price guide but keeping it accurate can be a challenge.
--DragonmasterDan

hizaygizirlz

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 09:32:52 AM »
I'm with Necro on this one, but it cetainly wouldn't hurt anything.
Gypsies did it.

Got no luv for the krackers only slugs for the krackers!

vestcoat

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 10:18:56 AM »
I know this thread is well intended, but I totally, utterly hate price guides.  If this thread was in Fighting Street I would drop some choice words.

1)  Noobs get ripped off because they're impatient, impulsive, click-happy idiots, not because they were left to fend without a price guide.
2)  Anyone who's been around six months already has a rough mental list.
3)  Most of you guys in favor of making a list base too much of it on ebay prices, which are currently insane and can be found out anyway by looking at BIN items and completed auctions.
4)  The list in turn legitimizes the prices asked by ebay parasites.
5)  The list also becomes the new rock-bottom price, creating fewer good deals here on the forums and other non-ebay markets.
6)  And yeah, it goes out of date real fast.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 10:43:11 AM »
I know this thread is well intended, but I totally, utterly hate price guides.  If this thread was in Fighting Street I would drop some choice words.

1)  Noobs get ripped off because they're impatient, impulsive, click-happy idiots, not because they were left to fend without a price guide.
2)  Anyone who's been around six months already has a rough mental list.
3)  Most of you guys in favor of making a list base too much of it on ebay prices, which are currently insane and can be found out anyway by looking at BIN items and completed auctions.
4)  The list in turn legitimizes the prices asked by ebay parasites.
5)  The list also becomes the new rock-bottom price, creating fewer good deals here on the forums and other non-ebay markets.
6)  And yeah, it goes out of date real fast.

The problem with the Turbo is that a large number of games are very uncommon, especially when we get into CDs. When I was doing NES collecting before finishing my set, outside of NTSC Stadium Events, almost every US NES cart was available on ebay for example, at any given time. Games like Magical Chase, Tonma, Super Air Zonk, Bonk 3 CD, show up so infrequently that trying to establish any sort of baseline price for them becomes far more difficult than with other systems and price guides.

I still do see a legitimate reason for one, but the problem is that any baseline price we establish for a game will be in dispute from people who paid less or more than said guide value.

Added in edit: I'd like to have something as a reference for people who really want game X to know what a fair price is if they wait around, but the difficult part is establishing that price (let alone condition, with outer box, without outer box, with manual, with plastic tray if it's a TTI hucard game). It's helpful to someone who's had a Turbo lying around for 20 years and really wants to own game X but doesn't want to get ripped off for it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 10:53:06 AM by DragonmasterDan »
--DragonmasterDan

16bit

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 11:13:05 AM »
Good points as to why a price guide would suck. Duly noted.

What I might end up making in the future is a list generalizing certain games into one common market value, where game x is in the $20-$40 range or game z is in the $100-$250 bracket, etc.

But like you guys said most Turbo/PCE collectors already know what most games are worth, so it can end up being a waste of time.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 11:19:33 AM »
Good points as to why a price guide would suck. Duly noted.

What I might end up making in the future is a list generalizing certain games into one common market value, where game x is in the $20-$40 range or game z is in the $100-$250 bracket, etc.

But like you guys said most Turbo/PCE collectors already know what most games are worth, so it can end up being a waste of time.

And as other people noted, then 20.00 becomes the rock bottom asking price for a game in say the 20-40 bracket regardless of what the market dictates.
--DragonmasterDan

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 11:22:58 AM »
And as other people noted, then 20.00 becomes the rock bottom asking price for a game in say the 20-40 bracket regardless of what the market dictates.

It's more like $40 becomes the starting price.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

16bit

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 11:37:54 AM »
I see the dilemma here....!

nat

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 02:04:26 PM »
Man, these "let's make a price guide" threads are getting old. This is not aimed specifically at you, 16bit, just the concept in general.

A price guide, ESPECIALLY in the case of the Turbo, will only have a detrimental effect on the market. The market is in bad enough shape as it is right now, we don't need a "price guide" enabling these gougers.

blueraven

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 02:22:57 PM »
Does anyone know of a price guide for Turbografx/Duo/PC-Engine games? Because if not, I'd like to make one.

No.

Don't waste your time. Or mine, lol.

Thank You.
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

16bit

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 02:50:23 PM »
Well I'm going to make one for my own personal use. If any other collector's want to use it as a reference...feel free to PM me and I'll send it to you when I'm done.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 06:07:38 PM »
Heres my price guide:

"Is game worth X.XX$ to me?"

followed by Yes+paypal payment or no+rom
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

TheClash603

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 12:19:20 AM »
Take actually sold BIN items from ebay, deduct 40%, and you have a decent starting point.