Author Topic: The Official Pioneer LaserActive Player thread-  (Read 16655 times)

GameFreak

The Official Pioneer LaserActive Player thread-
« on: July 18, 2011, 10:07:29 PM »
Include here any LaserActive info, repair info, modifications, system specs, retro-advertisement, photos, Youtube info vids, PAC info, or questions, comments, thoughts.

If you think you might be interested in this topic and you want to follow it, even if you don't post anything here, you can click the little blue box that says "notify" and you will receive an email every time someone adds more info to this thread.

Ok, I'll start.....
This is by far IMO the best video on youtube that describes the specs and PAC's info. It is a great video to watch if you have no idea what the LaserActive is and even if you do,...you still might learn something from it (Yes, there are 7 different PAC's!!!). Youtube link here---->

Enjoy!

DragonmasterDan

Re: The Official Pioneer LaserActive Player thread-
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 11:44:07 PM »
Include here any LaserActive info, repair info, modifications, system specs, retro-advertisement, photos, Youtube info vids, PAC info, or questions, comments, thoughts.

If you think you might be interested in this topic and you want to follow it, even if you don't post anything here, you can click the little blue box that says "notify" and you will receive an email every time someone adds more info to this thread.

Ok, I'll start.....
This is by far IMO the best video on youtube that describes the specs and PAC's info. It is a great video to watch if you have no idea what the LaserActive is and even if you do,...you still might learn something from it (Yes, there are 7 different PAC's!!!). Youtube link here----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqNtpC1VeH8&feature=related

Enjoy!

I'm surprised I'd not come across that video before. With that said the 7 PAC claim is based on calling the US and Japanese versions of the Sega and NEC PAC two different PACs. Good video though.

--DragonmasterDan

GameFreak

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 11:56:06 PM »
   I'm surprised I'd not come across that video before. With that said the 7 PAC claim is based on calling the US and Japanese versions of the Sega and NEC PAC two different PACs. Good video though.

Actually he explains how the NEC has 3 different versions.
One is the US tg16, second is the standard PCengine, ....and the third is a limited edition (notice the NEC logo where the pioneer logo should be next to hucard slot!) gun-metal color PAC with a different bios and load screen. I want that one!

SuperDeadite

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 01:01:18 AM »
The third isn't limited edition.  In part of the licensing deal with NEC in order to produce the Turbo PACs, NEC gained to right to produce their own LaserActive machines.  And they did so.  The NEC LA was only released in Japan, same exact case as the Pioneer, but it was gun metal gray, and it included the gun metal gray NEC PCE-PAC.  The NEC LA is certainly harder to find then the Pioneer model, but here in Japan they typically sell for the same price.  The Sega PAC was only created by Pioneer though, so if you get a gray NEC machine, you'll have to stick the normal black Sega PAC inside which doesn't look quite right.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Tatsujin

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 01:24:26 AM »

hahaha!!
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

GameFreak

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 04:49:16 AM »
I absolutely love Dankss youtube vids. He is so honest and genuine. But that sucks he thought Momotaro game series were all platform. Actually they are RPG. Even the one Momotaro game that is actually a platform game still requires a lot of jpn knowledge.   :-# Who am I to say anything? He is the one with a LaserActive. Lucky bastard.

Do the caps last in this system? how bout the laser?

BlueBMW

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 05:01:13 AM »
All the caps in the Laseractive itself are of the through mount leaded type not the SMT type that we find in Duos and the LA Pacs.  I have noticed no leakage problems on the LA itself.  Lasers on the other hand I have seen fail a few times.  They're expensive to buy new from Pioneer (around $150)  but used ones are readily available in about a dozen other Pioneer LD players of the same time period.

Pacs on the other hand have severe cap issues.  Sega pacs are FAR worse than the NEC pacs.  Sega Pacs have some 75 caps in then versus the 35 or so in the NEC Pacs.

Edited for poor phone typing earlier :P
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 01:16:33 PM by BlueBMW »
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

nat

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 01:08:51 PM »
Good thread, but I'd go so far as to suggest breaking it into two: create a second thread in the repairs/mods section for, well, repairs and mods of the hardware.

sheath

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 01:19:05 PM »
Getting a Laseractive with a TG16+CD and Genesis+SegaCD modules would be a dream come true.  I just bought my first, and hopefully fully functional, SCART to Component adapter so I could get some or more of the video quality.  Now to figure out how to use RGB on my DUO/R.

BlueBMW

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 01:29:55 PM »
Getting a Laseractive with a TG16+CD and Genesis+SegaCD modules would be a dream come true.  I just bought my first, and hopefully fully functional, SCART to Component adapter so I could get some or more of the video quality.  Now to figure out how to use RGB on my DUO/R.

I'd go for a PC engine PAC before I'd try and get a TG16 pac.  You'll pay almost double for the US one.  Its definitely a collectors only item.

Also, RGB out on a Laseractive is a reality :P  Though it only works for PAC video, so Laseractive games and LD videos will still have to be run through composite.  Below is one of my LAs with a DIN8 jack on it, using the SCART cable that came with my DuoR for RGB :D

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 01:32:46 PM by BlueBMW »
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

sheath

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 02:49:21 PM »
My collector friend has a Laseractive and was showing off the S-Video output for the Genesis module on his Hulk friendly huge Sony CRT set.  I was assuming S-Video was possible across the board.  That was one of the main reasons I was considering the Laseractive before I realized the cost of the modules. 

How to get good quality RGB out of my DUO/R on the cheap is on my list after I confirm this Scart to Component adapter works on my television with both my Genesis 1 32X and Genesis 2 32X.

BlueBMW

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 02:58:22 PM »
well we all know RGB > Svideo :P  But since its easy enough to tap all the various video signals in the Laseractive, one could make an svideo connection without much trouble.

sheath

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 05:03:23 AM »
I've actually gone back and forth on S-Video versus Component at standard definitions.  To me the only difference is how the white and black levels are handled.  I had a similar experience with Component and HDMI comparisons, brighter whites don't impress me as much as black blacks do.  In games I just look to be sure that no detail is being blended into a black, and if not I am content.

Damaramu

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 04:52:20 PM »
Woot! Laseractive owner here too! I'd love to get my hands on a TG16/PCE pac...but damn it, they're so expensive. I got my LA for about $60 (or was it $80?) with the Genesis pac off the Digital Press boards years ago. The guy shipped it in a CRT monitor box.

Bernie

• Facebook URL
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 04:49:58 AM »
I wouldnt mind getting one of these LA units.  :)