Author Topic: The Official Pioneer LaserActive Player thread-  (Read 16659 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: The Official Pioneer LaserActive Player thread-
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2012, 02:55:54 AM »
An LA was about $1000 with one PAC.

Unless they discounted the hell out of LAs when they were brand new, you're way off on price - the original MSRP for the LA itself was $969.99 and the Turbo/Sega pacs were $599.99 each (the Karaoke pac was a 'mere' $349.99). 
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Joe Redifer

« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2012, 03:21:10 AM »
That "genlock" makes it so that MD and PCE graphics can overlay the LaserDisc video in their native resolution.  The Digital button on the front cuts the resolution down to 240p.  All LaserActive games play in 240p and that is partially why they look like shit.  The mastering of the video before it goes onto the LaserDisc itself is another reason.  Different games have different quality but most are pretty bad.  Some LD players can play the LaserActive games (or at least the video from them) in full 480i and they will look much better.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2012, 03:31:03 AM »
An LA was about $1000 with one PAC.

Unless they discounted the hell out of LAs when they were brand new, you're way off on price - the original MSRP for the LA itself was $969.99 and the Turbo/Sega pacs were $599.99 each (the Karaoke pac was a 'mere' $349.99). 

They were heavily discounted, but I think maybe those are List Price numbers, not MSRP. List price for my CLD S201 was $599.99. I never once saw it go for that. Nothing ever goes for List unless its being professionally installed by a technician.

If it really cost $1600 for a LA then I think it's safe to say that every one of our players is an ex demo unit because basically zero people ever would have paid that.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2012, 04:09:00 AM »
LOL guess you never read the Tech threads.  Both BMW and myself have RGB modded our LAs.  It's useless for LDs of course, but MD/MCD/PCE/PCECD games all look fantastic.

Do you have a link to this? I'm interested in the exact circuit used. If it requires trying dozens of cap/resistor combinations, I frankly no longer have the patience for this anymore.

SuperDeadite

« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2012, 04:27:38 AM »
all you do is tap the signals.  you will need an amp, but there are multiple ways to do this.  i just use pots on the color lines as a few games had super strong red (like on a raw pce rgb mod).
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

BlueBMW

« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2012, 04:56:26 AM »
LOL guess you never read the Tech threads.  Both BMW and myself have RGB modded our LAs.  It's useless for LDs of course, but MD/MCD/PCE/PCECD games all look fantastic.

Do you have a link to this? I'm interested in the exact circuit used. If it requires trying dozens of cap/resistor combinations, I frankly no longer have the patience for this anymore.

I'll get you some pics when I open up another system.  The signals are actually pretty easy to tap, and you can do it all the the two boards that attach to the rear panel.  I added a DIN8 jack below the a/v jacks and used the same RGB cable as my duo.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

SignOfZeta

« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2012, 02:47:41 PM »
all you do is tap the signals.  you will need an amp, but there are multiple ways to do this.  i just use pots on the color lines as a few games had super strong red (like on a raw pce rgb mod).

None of my amps ever work. If this mod needs any kind of interpretation on my end (I don't see why it should, we all have the same LA) then I'm going to f*ck it up. I have learned this.

BTW, I f*cked around with the LA some more tonight and learned a few things.

First off, there seems to be a problem with the Sega PAC. While playing LDs with the Sega PAC in, or while playing an LA game the system randomly resets. I suppose I should open this thing up and check the caps.

Another thing, and this is a big deal, IMO: if you run the LA with no PAC in it...IT PLAYS LDS LIKE A NORMAL PLAYER!!! The system has a regular video overlay for time display, etc that isn't used when a PAC is installed. The stupid shitty "digital" button doesn't turn on when pausing CAV discs, f*cking up the video and whatnot. This can now be used as a regular player for fans of CAV discs. Big deal, for me anyway.

BlueBMW

« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2012, 03:29:39 PM »
First off, there seems to be a problem with the Sega PAC. While playing LDs with the Sega PAC in, or while playing an LA game the system randomly resets. I suppose I should open this thing up and check the caps.

I have some parts coming in to make some very simple RGB amps, I'll test one on a laseractive and take lots of pictures to make it easy :D

As far as your sega pac... if it resets after a while of playing, somewhat at random.... you've definitely got cap issues.  Please change them ASAP.  Once these units die from cap corrosion, they seem to die for good.  I've only revived 1 in 3 completely dead Sega PACs.  If its not something you want to handle yourself, let me know and I'll help you out on it.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

SignOfZeta

« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2012, 08:23:10 PM »
I can change dead caps no problem. Getting video signals to magically sync by swapping out dozens of resistor/cap combinations though...I'm pretty much done with that, at least until I get a scope. That bullshit is 0% fun.

I look forward to your RGB amp info!

BTW, I also learned that with the PAC removed you can actually turn the system on and off with the remote.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 08:25:58 PM by SignOfZeta »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2012, 05:14:42 PM »
OK, I need some help here. I'm (probably) going to buy a Laseractive from a friend and we are trying to figure out what its worth. Here is a description:

The actual A-100 itself: this seems to be fine. Doesn't have the dummy plug for the PAC socket. Was jamming and such when I first started using it but I've managed to get everything working well enough to play some games and quite a few movies. Its basically VG.

The remote: present, functional, has a tiny cracked out corner missing, nothing major, 3x3mm. I'll be using another remote anyway.

The Sega PAC: Functional but glitchy. I've arranged for BlueBMW to do a cap swap on it. Currently resets the system and the cart slot doesn't work. The PAC is the biggest problem here, and it doesn't seem that hard to rectify. He has the original Sega Laseractive controller. I assume the condition is good, but I haven't actually seen it.

Media: Pyramid Patrol (can you believe it!?!?) and Triad Stone (pretty fun!)

So what is this lot worth? Right now eBay isn't a very good indicator. Not a lot of LA stuff there and some of the prices are just Sofa King Retarded. Hit Japan wants $600 BIN for a non-working unit?

BlueBMW

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2012, 05:22:22 PM »
It seems like one can expect to pay $150 to $200 for the base CLD-A100 and another $75 - $100 on a sega pac.  One a PAC has been recapped, im not sure.  I havent seen a capped PAC for sale on its own.  Pyramid patrol is maybe a $30 - $40 game but triad stone is more like a $100 game (and a good one at that!)  An original LA branded sega pad is usually around $40 -$50.  Hope these numbers help!

TheClash603

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2012, 10:26:28 AM »
Based on condition:

CLD A100 + Sega Pac = $200.  This might seem a little low, but there seems to be some condition issues.
Controller = $30, boxed controllers just sold for $45 each.
Pyramid Patrol = $30
Triad Stone = $100
BUT!  If either of the games are incomplete (missing obi, instructions, etc), take off from that price.

So I would say, $350 for the whole set is a fair price.  Add $50 to the hardware if it is in better shape than you've described and subtract up to $50 from the games if they are incomplete.

xelement5x

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2012, 03:08:21 AM »
Wow, cool thread!

I really enjoyed SignOfZeta's LD format comments and I'm still working through the Australian experience PDF which was written up.

I was wondering if creating a wiki or something for all the various LA information would be worthwhile?
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

McKie1

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2012, 06:58:52 PM »
I wonder if one of us should write up a similar PDF for our experience with the LA on the American side...  clash or saibot would be better candidates than me as their collections are much more extensive than mine :P  I'll just cover the repair side of things...

McKie.. do you know if any of your sega or NEC pacs have had their capacitors changed?  If not, please get it done ASAP.  These units all suffer from the same capacitor problems that other systems like the Turbo Duo etc have had.  They leak and it will destroy the pac over time.  I have two completely dead unrepairable PACs already.  The NEC pacs are less prone than the Sega ones, but still should be done as soon as possible.

Here's some info I wrote up concerning the CLD-A100 repair...

http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4434.0

Finally dropped off my four pacs to the local Pioneer authorised repairer. Thanks to your schematics he said he should be able to replace the caps. Cheers. Does the karaoke pac need any work?

BlueBMW

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2012, 11:48:50 PM »
I took a karaoke pac apart but didnt find leaking caps.  The karaoke one doesnt use the SMT caps like the other pacs.  They will eventually fail due to age but they wont be destructive like the leaking SMT caps are.