Author Topic: The Official Pioneer LaserActive Player thread-  (Read 17456 times)

Vecanti

Re: The Official Pioneer LaserActive Player thread-
« Reply #300 on: May 18, 2013, 04:35:47 PM »
Believe it or not, this is percisely what the PC pac allows a person to do.. by making LD discs readable, searchable, and perhaps put txt on screen, with user selectable options.  If software could be made that fits in a MegaDrive or PCE flashcard to do similar operations, it can easily be done!  Not original games, but some creative stuff could be done witha lot of 'fairly easy' to get LDs.   Now, I have heard that once 'cart' mode is enacted, it basicly locks down the LD drive.  That will have to be circumvented somehow.

I think the PC PAC basicaly just gives you the serial port that many LDV series players have. This is nice, I guess, but you can't do much except control the disc transport. If a MD/PCE flash cart was used you'd be able to do that but also generate good quality graphics, score counters, etc.

Right, it's the serial port and controls, but it's the "Genlock" that basically makes it special. Or the combining of the two really. So that is a great idea, if you can't make new laser disc content you can still make new Game contact based around the 1000s of laser disc content and you still have the Magic of the combined Genlock and instant controls of the laserdisc system.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #301 on: May 18, 2013, 05:28:06 PM »
Ah! So the PC PAC has RGB in on it? That's pretty great.

SuperDeadite

« Reply #302 on: May 18, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
Believe it or not, this is percisely what the PC pac allows a person to do.. by making LD discs readable, searchable, and perhaps put txt on screen, with user selectable options.  If software could be made that fits in a MegaDrive or PCE flashcard to do similar operations, it can easily be done!  Not original games, but some creative stuff could be done witha lot of 'fairly easy' to get LDs.   Now, I have heard that once 'cart' mode is enacted, it basicly locks down the LD drive.  That will have to be circumvented somehow.

I think the PC PAC basicaly just gives you the serial port that many LDV series players have. This is nice, I guess, but you can't do much except control the disc transport. If a MD/PCE flash cart was used you'd be able to do that but also generate good quality graphics, score counters, etc.

Right, it's the serial port and controls, but it's the "Genlock" that basically makes it special. Or the combining of the two really. So that is a great idea, if you can't make new laser disc content you can still make new Game contact based around the 1000s of laser disc content and you still have the Magic of the combined Genlock and instant controls of the laserdisc system.

You sure it uses the Genlock?  The Karaoke PAC doesn't, and that serial port uses the standard Japanese 50pin serial connector that all Japanese computers did, I really doubt it does anything beyond the standard serial specs.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

laseractiveguy

« Reply #303 on: May 19, 2013, 01:11:41 AM »
In my theory, it (PC Pac) also allows 'computers' to access individual field interlaced frames... ie Look at Triad Stone or Road Prosecutor without seeing both fields at the same time, as if putting it into a normal LD player.  As far as I know though, this software IS NOT included in the normal floppy discs... but I am sure the pac can do it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 11:43:09 AM by laseractiveguy »

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #304 on: June 14, 2013, 02:44:50 PM »
I'm now a proud owner of a Laseractive! This is so cool.

allyourblood

« Reply #305 on: June 14, 2013, 04:10:30 PM »
I've got one of these beasts and it's quite the showpiece, but since my Laserdisc collection has been relegated to my closet, I just haven't had much need to hook it up. I really got a charge out of playing Sega CD games on it at first, and Triad Stone was entertaining for a while (my only LD game), but the thing is so massive and slow that it's more of a chore than anything else.

After 10+ years of searching for the TG pac (without resorting to you-know-what, of course), I've given up completely. I've got a Karaoke pac but I've never hooked it up to see what it does. This thread just reminded me about the ol' behemoth... it might be time to put her out to pasture...

Congrats on the purchase, BigusSchmuck! It's always a nice feeling to get your hands on that new toy you've had your eye on!  :clap: :dance:
If anyone gets any leads on a "fair priced" copy of Coryoon, please lemme know!

Where is fancy bred?

esteban

« Reply #306 on: June 14, 2013, 05:30:40 PM »
STATUS: I remain envious of all you bastards with LaserActive.

|    | 

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #307 on: June 14, 2013, 06:03:32 PM »
STATUS: I remain envious of all you bastards with LaserActive.

I still have to get the turbo/pce pac but not for the going rate...

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #308 on: June 18, 2013, 04:58:02 PM »
Out of curiosity, once you get a cap replacement how long before you need to do another one? I'm trying to get one of our lovely forum members here to do it for my sega pac (apparently the actual console doesn't need it just yet?) and I'm hoping this is the first and last time having to do this. The good news is, my beast has only had one owner (an all the manuals strangely enough) so I'm hoping there aren't any leaking caps going on.

BlueBMW

« Reply #309 on: June 18, 2013, 05:19:01 PM »
I would hope that once replaced you shouldn't need to replace them again for 15 - 20 years or more.  The problem is not so much that the caps are drying out but that they're leaking (as was typical of a lot of SMD caps from that time period)  Not to say new caps wont leak in the future, but one could hope that the technology that goes into them has improved some since then.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #310 on: June 18, 2013, 05:49:45 PM »
I would hope that once replaced you shouldn't need to replace them again for 15 - 20 years or more.  The problem is not so much that the caps are drying out but that they're leaking (as was typical of a lot of SMD caps from that time period)  Not to say new caps wont leak in the future, but one could hope that the technology that goes into them has improved some since then.
I just hope when I power this thing on it won't start having issues with the caps off the bat. I also haven't seen anyone with the manuals on this thing on the web, I probably should scan them and post them somewhere at the very least to archive them.

esteban

« Reply #311 on: June 19, 2013, 12:21:16 AM »
... I also haven't seen anyone with the manuals on this thing on the web, I probably should scan them and post them somewhere at the very least to archive them.

I'd be happy to host any and all LaserActive scans! They belong here:

Instruction Manuals @tg-16.com

...and here...

LD-ROM @tg-16.com
  |    | 

McKie1

« Reply #312 on: June 19, 2013, 01:05:21 AM »
I e-mailed a couple of scans to http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/pg90-pioneer.htm#page=specs a while back for the S10 and N10
manuals.

One day i'll scan the PC1 manual too.

Let me know Esteban if you want me to e-mail over the same scans?

esteban

« Reply #313 on: June 19, 2013, 01:44:00 AM »
I e-mailed a couple of scans to http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/pg90-pioneer.htm#page=specs a while back for the S10 and N10
manuals.

manuals.

manuals.

Heck yes!

Don't forget you are welcome to turn your "FAQ" into a LaserActive resource (I think you were considering updating it first...or something along those lines...)

ACTUALLY, the offer is out to anyone: I would like to have a LaserActive resource at tg-16.com, but I have to rely on you folks for content...I can make it look pretty, copy edit it, provide supplemental writing, etc.

Ha! It will happen one day...
  |    | 

McKie1

« Reply #314 on: June 19, 2013, 09:32:33 PM »
E-mails on their way to you :)