Author Topic: The Official Pioneer LaserActive Player thread-  (Read 17469 times)

DragonmasterDan

Re: The Official Pioneer LaserActive Player thread-
« Reply #540 on: November 02, 2016, 01:43:02 AM »

That's true. But at least you do get "enhanced" LD playback capabilities on the A100 with either the Sega or NEC PAC, right?
Frame-by-frame, multi-speed jog, still frames, whatever else.

If you leave the console PACs in it lowers the output res on your movies to 240. So it's better to take the PAC out. There is digital memory on the Laseractive unit itself for CAV features, still frame, etc.
--DragonmasterDan

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #541 on: November 02, 2016, 01:53:58 AM »
Honestly, it is the least played out of my consoles. Sure its cool to play your Genesis and Sega CD games out in composite, but is it worth pulling out this monstrosity for that alone? Not really. Triad Stone is probably the best game for it. Don Quixote is quite possibly the slowest RPG I have ever played and in terms of gameplay a very small step above Dragon Quest 1. Do I regret getting one? Not in the slightest. It's still an interesting piece of technology.

SuperDeadite

« Reply #542 on: November 02, 2016, 03:54:28 AM »
Personally I find the LA to be quite welcome on my game shelf.  Being a 100% front loading system that is built like a tank, I can stack things on it and it's still fully playable.  I RGB modded mine, so all my PCE and Sega games look purdy (LD games are composite only of course).  I even ended up with a USA Genny Pac to get around the SegaCD region lock for playing my Working Designs originals here on my Japanese LA unit.

And finally, while the actual LD game library is small it has some really good titles.  Sure price is insane for a lot of them, but I've gotten my money's worth.  Hell playing the absolute cheese fest Dr. Paolo in 3D is almost silly enough to justify the entire system imo.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

xelement5x

« Reply #543 on: November 02, 2016, 08:05:17 AM »
I am with Deadite here 100%.  The front loading on it alone makes it super useful, plus the actual space it takes up width wise is less than a Duo and SegaCD so it's a very efficient use of space.  Sure they are "rare" but if you don't use it what good it having it?
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

SignOfZeta

« Reply #544 on: November 02, 2016, 08:34:14 AM »
Built like a tank? Compared to a Turbo, I guess. At least it has metal in it. I would not describe the A-100 as heavy duty though. Not for an LD player, not for any stereo equipment period. I have DVD players that weigh more. I guess it's all a matter of what you're used to and not everyone opens every piece of equipment like I do so maybe it's inner plastic flimsiness is unknown to most owners.

"Built like a tank" to me would be gears instead of belts for loading mech. Then you wouldn't need to smack thing the thing so often to make it set the disc. :)

The modules are quite a bit more tough than the consoles they are based on, I'll give you that, but while they weigh more they also die much more easily.

Mathius

« Reply #545 on: November 02, 2016, 10:29:44 AM »
I'm kinda wishing I had gotten into this before the market went poopie.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

SignOfZeta

« Reply #546 on: November 02, 2016, 02:34:15 PM »
ME TOO! I'm destined to own one of these dumb things and I hope it doesn't cost me much. I have better things to spend money on.

McKie1

« Reply #547 on: November 02, 2016, 04:10:08 PM »

Quick pic showing the ridiculous size difference between the bottom LD player and the LA

TheClash603

« Reply #548 on: November 02, 2016, 05:13:38 PM »
Ah no f*ck this thread! I hate that it just got bumped again. I want one so bad but don't quite have the money for it right now.

Must. Resist. Urge. To. Just. Buy. One. Anyway.

You're not missing much. I've owned two of them and while they look cool as hell in your entertainment center, they're not really worth the money. The picture quality for LD movie playback isn't that good compared to other cheaper LD players, the PACs are too expensive, especially the NEC PACs, and the handful of LD games that are worth a damn are exorbitantly priced, like Road Prosecutor and Time Gal.

Everyone I know that bought a Laseractive* did so for Virtual Cameraman 2 and Dr. Paolo, both cheaper than the games you are mentioning and both more fun at social gatherings.*

*I only know myself and have never been to a social gathering.

jtucci31

« Reply #549 on: November 02, 2016, 06:19:23 PM »
Ah no f*ck this thread! I hate that it just got bumped again. I want one so bad but don't quite have the money for it right now.

Must. Resist. Urge. To. Just. Buy. One. Anyway.

You're not missing much. I've owned two of them and while they look cool as hell in your entertainment center, they're not really worth the money. The picture quality for LD movie playback isn't that good compared to other cheaper LD players, the PACs are too expensive, especially the NEC PACs, and the handful of LD games that are worth a damn are exorbitantly priced, like Road Prosecutor and Time Gal.

Everyone I know that bought a Laseractive* did so for Virtual Cameraman 2 and Dr. Paolo, both cheaper than the games you are mentioning and both more fun at social gatherings.*

*I only know myself and have never been to a social gathering.
I just meant of the top expensive "if I had a suitcase full of cash" wishlist. I'm sure I'd enjoy any damn game I got with it. I'd be the only kid on the entire block with a f*cking Laseractive!

SamIAm

« Reply #550 on: November 02, 2016, 09:05:53 PM »
Someday...someday...this will be emulated.

I've seen the longplays on youtube, and I can wait.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #551 on: November 03, 2016, 04:30:26 AM »

Quick pic showing the ridiculous size difference between the bottom LD player and the LA

Who buys an X-0 and then stacks junk on top of it like a teenager who can't get a ride to Ikea? Also, dust...depressing.

Bloufo

« Reply #552 on: November 03, 2016, 04:40:50 AM »

Who buys an X-0 and then stacks junk on top of it like a teenager who can't get a ride to Ikea? Also, dust...depressing.

I approve of this post.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #553 on: November 03, 2016, 07:02:40 AM »
Also, if that pic were taken at less of an angle the LA would look smaller. I think the X-0 is about double the height of the A-100.

TheClash603

« Reply #554 on: March 13, 2017, 01:08:00 AM »
http://m.ebay.com/itm/LaserActive-Instructions-VHS-Tape-Japan-LAST-ONE-IN-THE-WORLD-RARE-Collection-/162411440523?hash=item25d079e98b%3Ag%3A0K8AAOSwx6pYs8-I&_trkparms=pageci%253A23fe685c-07e5-11e7-a362-74dbd180364f%257Cparentrq%253Ac78dbbd315a0a3588335ec2afff6f7dd%257Ciid%253A7

Has anyone ever seen this video?  Is the content different than Zoom?  I'd love to see this posted on YouTube.

...also, I'm glad the seller has stopped making mistakes, what a strange listing.