Author Topic: Game Sack  (Read 72283 times)

Joe Redifer

Re: Game Sack
« Reply #480 on: May 20, 2012, 12:18:20 PM »
Latest episode:

Mathius

« Reply #481 on: May 20, 2012, 03:39:08 PM »
You guys are getting much more comfortable in front of the camera. It really shows!

Batman Returns was definitely a major contributer to my adolescent anger issues bitd. I always remembered thinking how I wished they had developed new platforming sections from the ground up.

I really enjoyed your commentary on the SEGA CD's abilities even though they were brief. A GameSack episode expanding on one of your earlier videos from your other channel would be neat to see. :)

Off the top of my head two games that frustrated me to no end were the NES version of Ninja Gaiden, and Phantasy Star 2. I actually ended up beating Ninja Gaiden way back when thanks to a VHS tape that my parents bought me that gave strategies for various NES games. I still have that tape somewhere.

PS2, on the other hand, can totally kiss my ass. I can't make it past the first dungeon or so and I have been trying for years. I really wish that I could get further into the game because I really enjoy the art work in the cinemas.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

spenoza

« Reply #482 on: May 20, 2012, 03:45:15 PM »
You know, this episode makes me think of a great candidate episode to follow up on this later: Best Challenging Games that aren't Cheap. Meaning, the best games that were hard, even ass hard, but were a real challenge without relying on cheap kills or inflated challenge metrics. They challenged you with great design and kept you pushing to do better!
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

roflmao

« Reply #483 on: May 20, 2012, 03:54:58 PM »
Another great episode! 

As much as I love playing shooters, I find most if them pretty frustrating, at least at the beginning.  Whenever I get a new shmup and have played it for awhile, my wife invariably comes into the room and asks "Why do you keep playing these games that make you so angry?"  (She usually hears a few choice words and possibly the sound of a controller being dropped in esasperation or the console being hastily reset.  At least I don't throw controllers or punch holes in walls anymore. :) )  My response; "If it's evoking that kind of response from me, it's usually a pretty good game". 

I usually don't get pissed off at games that suck.  They just suck and I move on.  It's the games where I *know* I can do better, I saw a way around the thing that killed me at the last second, and I'm more frustrated at myself for either not remembering a pattern or by zagging when I should have zigged, or did some other dingbat mistake.  But the frustrations coming out of a good game root from me, so I'm constantly going back to them and getting slightly better. 

When I first got Kyukyoku Tiger for the PCE it took a lot of patience to make it past the first level.  But now I can usually breeze through it and the next few levels without hardly any effort.  The game is amazing.  The Genesis version of Twin Cobra, on the other hand, is a mess, imo. 

TR0N

« Reply #484 on: May 20, 2012, 07:47:31 PM »
Latest episode:

Frustrating Games!

Not bad but i thought (Landstalker) would have made the list.Great game,but man it's isometric view can throw ya off for platforming.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

spenoza

« Reply #485 on: May 20, 2012, 07:54:13 PM »
Latest episode:

Frustrating Games!

Not bad but i thought (Landstalker) would have made the list.Great game,but man it's isometric view can throw ya off for platforming.

Light Crusader is largely in the same boat, though it does seem a little less troublesome. I think the most frustrating isometric game I've ever played, however, is Dark Savior on the Saturn. There are some floating platform jumping segments that make me want to tear the developers limb from limb (poor Climax).
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

TR0N

« Reply #486 on: May 20, 2012, 07:59:32 PM »
Latest episode:

Frustrating Games!

Light Crusader is largely in the same boat, though it does seem a little less troublesome. I think the most frustrating isometric game I've ever played, however, is Dark Savior on the Saturn. There are some floating platform jumping segments that make me want to tear the developers limb from limb (poor Climax).

I never had a problem with dark savior expect the mine cart ride.That part should have never been in the game it's camera angles,are realy screwed up.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #487 on: May 21, 2012, 12:40:41 PM »

Off the top of my head two games that frustrated me to no end were the NES version of Ninja Gaiden, and Phantasy Star 2. I actually ended up beating Ninja Gaiden way back when thanks to a VHS tape that my parents bought me that gave strategies for various NES games. I still have that tape somewhere.

Ninja Gaiden is fairly easy until the last stage, that's a nightmare. About a year ago, I beat Ninja Gaiden 1, then the next day Ninja Gaiden 2, but couldn't beat Ninja Gaiden 3 which has limited continues making it unimaginably difficult.

A few weeks ago I beat Ghosts N Goblins for NES for the first time, yes, both runs through.

The two toughest NES games I can think of are NG 3 and Silver Surfer, but Silver Surfer I consider to be broken.
--DragonmasterDan

spenoza

« Reply #488 on: May 21, 2012, 12:46:17 PM »
The two toughest NES games I can think of are NG 3 and Silver Surfer, but Silver Surfer I consider to be broken.

I never beat GnG or NG3, but I found NG3 a lot more accessible, and I tended to make steadier progress in it. Didn't hurt that it was an attractive and good-sounding game.

Samurai Ghost

« Reply #489 on: May 22, 2012, 04:48:57 PM »
PS2, on the other hand, can totally kiss my ass. I can't make it past the first dungeon or so and I have been trying for years. I really wish that I could get further into the game because I really enjoy the art work in the cinemas.

It's definitely more challenging than typical JRPGs but doable if you have the patience to grind for money and experience. Equipment is expensive but you'll need it to progress through the game, much like the original Phantasy Star. PS2 is an awesome game all around and worth your patience! Beating it is quite an accomplishment though, and it probably why the game originally came with a walk through guidebook with maps.

storino03

« Reply #490 on: May 22, 2012, 06:34:26 PM »
always wanted to get into the Phantasy Star games. I have the genesis collection on my ps3, but unfortunately, there is no Phantasy Star 1.

TR0N

« Reply #491 on: May 22, 2012, 06:38:29 PM »
always wanted to get into the Phantasy Star games. I have the genesis collection on my ps3, but unfortunately, there is no Phantasy Star 1.
Realy !? The sonic ultimate genesis collection does have,phantasy star it just takes finshing the frist level of sonic 2 with tails to unlock it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 08:04:33 PM by TR0N »

storino03

« Reply #492 on: May 22, 2012, 07:49:27 PM »
really? haha, didn't know that! I admit I never spent much time with the genesis collection (didn't care much for it), but if that's the case--unlocking bit--i may just do that!

guyjin

« Reply #493 on: May 23, 2012, 10:47:06 AM »
Latest episode:

Frustrating Games!

Another good episode. But I don't like the new intro music. Why the change?
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Mathius

« Reply #494 on: May 23, 2012, 03:50:04 PM »
Latest episode:

Frustrating Games!

Another good episode. But I don't like the new intro music. Why the change?

Agreed! I miss the old one. :(
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406