Author Topic: Game Sack  (Read 73055 times)

Mathius

Re: Game Sack
« Reply #525 on: June 16, 2012, 10:52:36 AM »
Interlacing is the devil.  Really.  I'd rather have Author (Arthur?) in front of the grass and slightly muffled sound than interlacing.  Therefore Saturn.  Or is the PS version better?

Why exactly is interlacing not preferred? Anyone have any comparisons?
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

SuperDeadite

« Reply #526 on: June 17, 2012, 03:54:36 PM »
interlaced video = flicker flicker flicker flicker.   
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Mathius

« Reply #527 on: June 17, 2012, 03:58:23 PM »
interlaced video = flicker flicker flicker flicker.   

Ah so GnG X68k flickers a lot I take it? Pardon my noob questions. I understand the basics between Interlaced and Progressive, but don't know the pros and cons

SuperDeadite

« Reply #528 on: June 17, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »
on a crt interlaced can look ok.  but nowhere near as clean as anything progressive.  on an lcd interlaced = barf inducing imo.  Also there is no excuse for X68k GnG to be interlaced besides pure laziness.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Samurai Ghost

« Reply #529 on: June 17, 2012, 04:23:02 PM »
I have the Saturn collection which I like because all of the original arcade games are on there, and I just like the Saturn. Never played the PS version though I would expect it to be about the same.

Did the PSP GnG game (which I think is great BTW) have the original as an unlockable? Can't remembering it did or not but that would be an awesome bonus.

Flare65

« Reply #530 on: June 17, 2012, 05:00:45 PM »
I have the Saturn collection which I like because all of the original a
Did the PSP GnG game (which I think is great BTW) have the original as an unlockable? Can't remembering it did or not but that would be an awesome bonus.

I don't think it does.  I know they released at least two different versions of the PSP GnG in Japan and neither had it.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #531 on: June 18, 2012, 10:48:46 AM »
Just a quick note, the US prototype Gimmick uses the same mapper/sound chip as Batman: Return of the Joker. That's the only US game that makes a viable donor cart. With that said, your (or Dave's) RetroUSB.com repro has an all in one mapper chip to emulate it. So the special sound chip IS in use on the NES version. It's also used on the PAL B release as well.
--DragonmasterDan

Tatsujin

« Reply #532 on: June 18, 2012, 12:03:21 PM »
I have the Saturn collection which I like because all of the original arcade games are on there,

Yeah, all of the two ;)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Samurai Ghost

« Reply #533 on: June 18, 2012, 01:40:13 PM »
I have the Saturn collection which I like because all of the original arcade games are on there,

Yeah, all of the two ;)
Still, all of them! The Capcom collections are such great values because you get all the major games on one disc rather than shelling out $50+ for one no-frills arcade port.

Mathius

« Reply #534 on: June 18, 2012, 03:00:54 PM »
Just a quick note, the US prototype Gimmick uses the same mapper/sound chip as Batman: Return of the Joker. That's the only US game that makes a viable donor cart. With that said, your (or Dave's) RetroUSB.com repro has an all in one mapper chip to emulate it. So the special sound chip IS in use on the NES version. It's also used on the PAL B release as well.

I emailed the guy when I bought the repro and inquired on what exactly is in his Gimmick! cart. He said his repros are entirely manufactured with all original parts, but still Gimmick! can't reproduce all the channels in the Famicom version due to hardware missing from the US NES.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #535 on: June 18, 2012, 03:10:41 PM »

I emailed the guy when I bought the repro and inquired on what exactly is in his Gimmick! cart. He said his repros are entirely manufactured with all original parts, but still Gimmick! can't reproduce all the channels in the Famicom version due to hardware missing from the US NES.

If you bought it from RetroUSB.com (they were also at MGC downstairs at the NintendoAge booth) they're using a chip to emulate the Return of the Joker sound chip. Prior to that chip that emulates a whole bunch of mappers (and actually even still today), people were sacrificing Return of the Jokers to make Gimmicks!
--DragonmasterDan

Mathius

« Reply #536 on: June 18, 2012, 04:28:16 PM »

If you bought it from RetroUSB.com (they were also at MGC downstairs at the NintendoAge booth) they're using a chip to emulate the Return of the Joker sound chip. Prior to that chip that emulates a whole bunch of mappers (and actually even still today), people were sacrificing Return of the Jokers to make Gimmicks!

Ah ok. I see what yuz is sayin'.  :)

Joe Redifer

« Reply #537 on: June 18, 2012, 04:28:21 PM »
You can't add more sound through the cart on an NES.  They got rid of the audio lines on the cart port.  Not sure why, especially since there are about 1,000 more pins on an NES cart than a Famicom cart.

Mathius

« Reply #538 on: June 18, 2012, 04:47:13 PM »

Ah ok. I see what yuz is sayin'.  :)

Edit via post: And I did buy from RetroUSB.com. I wish I would have known that they were at MGC. I would have liked to talk to them.

Tatsujin

« Reply #539 on: June 18, 2012, 08:44:17 PM »

Yeah, all of the two ;)
Still, all of them! The Capcom collections are such great values because you get all the major games on one disc rather than shelling out $50+ for one no-frills arcade port.

Sure thing! I have all the makaimura cap collection (makai to kishi) -> PSx (normal release and book release) & Saturn.
in fact I think I have about every makaimura and related game as far japanese console and handheld games go.
back in the days I also had the two PCBs.
for pure collections sake I only need a x68k daimakaimura to complete the everything.

So far out of my head I have the following:

Makaimura:
Makaimura (FC, GBA, PSx reg. & Book, Saturn, PSP).
Daimakaimura (SGFX, MD, PSx reg. & Book, Saturn). (need x68k)
Choumakaimura (SFC, PSX&Book, Saturn)
Choumakaimura R (GBA)
Makaimura for wonderswan (WS)
Goku Makaimura (PSP) (-> there was also a Famitsu demo version)
Goku Makaimura Kai (PSP)

Makaimura related (gaiden):
Red Arremer - Makaimura Gaiden (GB)   
Red Arremer 2 (GB, FC)
Demon's Blazon - Monshou Hen (SFC reg. & SF memory version)
Nazo Makaimura (PSx, Saturn)

Spin off:
Higemaru Makaijima

:)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^