Author Topic: Game Sack  (Read 73007 times)

Mathius

Re: Game Sack
« Reply #840 on: May 27, 2013, 04:23:46 PM »
Then again last resort is very similar to r-type which is why i enjoy it highly.

Nah. There's definitely something missing that R-Type has. The drone thingy in R-Type is much more cool for one. The enemies are much more interesting. The music is better (at least on the Turbo, not in the arcade). R-Type doesn't have those ear-piercingly annoying PSG sound effects that so many Neo Geo games do. And it doesn't try to blatantly rip off its artwork which gives Last Restort sort of a cheap Chinese knock-off type of feel. There's "Inspired by" and then there's "Inspired a little too much by".

The game would probably be much easier without the control lag, also.

You just did not realize of how to use the drone in a fun way. The R-Type's drone may look cooler, but the Last Resort's drone can be used much more efficient and really adds a lot of value to the game.

The music is fantastic in LR, the PSG sound effex are debatable.

Also LR isn't really a blatant R-Type rip off since it is made by the very same IREM peeps that made R-Type.

An just as a side note, I also do love R-Type more than Last Resort, and that will never change. But this doesn't change the fact that LR is a fantastic game of its own kind.

As for ripping off other material I think Joe was mainly referring to LR's use of images from Akira. :)
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

Tatsujin

« Reply #841 on: May 27, 2013, 04:51:47 PM »
Then again last resort is very similar to r-type which is why i enjoy it highly.

Nah. There's definitely something missing that R-Type has. The drone thingy in R-Type is much more cool for one. The enemies are much more interesting. The music is better (at least on the Turbo, not in the arcade). R-Type doesn't have those ear-piercingly annoying PSG sound effects that so many Neo Geo games do. And it doesn't try to blatantly rip off its artwork which gives Last Restort sort of a cheap Chinese knock-off type of feel. There's "Inspired by" and then there's "Inspired a little too much by".

You just did not realize of how to use the drone in a fun way. The R-Type's drone may look cooler, but the Last Resort's drone can be used much more efficient and really adds a lot of value to the game.

Also LR isn't really a blatant R-Type rip off since it is made by the very same IREM peeps that made R-Type.

An just as a side note, I also do love R-Type more than Last Resort, and that will never change. But this doesn't change the fact that LR is a fantastic game of its own kind.

As for ripping off other material I think Joe was mainly referring to LR's use of images from Akira. :)

Ah damn, that's right. Never bothered me tho, found it very cool back then and still find it so today. As we had an other deticated thread about this before, there are many many games using elements from movie, anime and music industry. I guess there's nothing more Japanesish than that :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

TR0N

« Reply #842 on: May 27, 2013, 07:06:27 PM »

The drone in r-type is more for positioning then any thing else.While the drone in last resort can be used more as a weapon.The other being how much memorization is required for the game later stages.The most i would nick picked towards last resort is the slow down in some stages.Not to mention,having to finish the game on it's second loop for the ending.While it's not better then r-type i do like how last resort has some of the same mechanics.For that matter for a early shoot'em up on the console id rather play LR instead of ghost pilots......

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

SuperDeadite

« Reply #843 on: May 28, 2013, 01:14:54 AM »
Last Resort rules.  The final stage where you attack the massive ship and even go inside it to cause chaos.
R-Type 1 is better, but LR is still a fantastic game, best shooter on the Neo in playability imo.

Here's my old first loop 1cc vid on my AES.
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 02:01:14 AM by SuperDeadite »
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Tatsujin

« Reply #844 on: May 28, 2013, 01:24:58 AM »
WORD!!
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #845 on: May 28, 2013, 07:02:59 AM »
I had no idea the Neo-Geo X composite video was that bad!

--DragonmasterDan

Joe Redifer

« Reply #846 on: May 28, 2013, 08:30:55 AM »
Quote from: tats

How are the PSG sound effex [SIC] debatable? Are there actually people that like the overloud PSG sound effects used in many Neo Geo games? "My ears are in pain due to high frequency noises that are excessively louder than all other sounds made by the game! Yay the Neo Geo is awesome!!! PSG sound effects suck on other systems but they are TEH RUL3Z on TEH NEO!" Somehow I doubt it.

GohanX

« Reply #847 on: May 28, 2013, 08:42:28 AM »

It looked better in Joe's video than on my TV, and I have a pretty good TV. The only thing I've found that works well is a Commodore 64 monitor with the colors turned down a bit, it looks pretty good that way.

I actually play mine on a SD CRT using a HDMI to S-Video converter. Looks decent, not as good as a real Neo by a long shot, but about the same as running a Neo emulator on a OG Xbox.

esadajr

« Reply #848 on: May 28, 2013, 09:08:43 AM »
about the same as running a Neo emulator on a OG Xbox.

No way the neo geo x looks that good. You just got me thinking. Time to fire up good ol le mameox.
Gaming since 1985

esadajr

« Reply #849 on: May 28, 2013, 09:12:51 AM »
I guess nothing beats those consolised MVS. I whish they made them in aluminum or something more modern.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 09:49:11 AM by esadajr »
Gaming since 1985

GohanX

« Reply #850 on: May 28, 2013, 09:41:29 AM »
No way the neo geo x looks that good. You just got me thinking. Time to fire up good ol le mameox.

The Xbox's emulators don't look that great compared to original hardware either. It does have the option to set filters though, which the NGX sorely lacks. Also, don't forget the whole "I'm using an expensive video converter" part of my comment.

esadajr

« Reply #851 on: May 28, 2013, 10:07:57 AM »

The Xbox's emulators don't look that great compared to original hardware either. It does have the option to set filters though, which the NGX sorely lacks.

Agreed, that's why I say the neo x doesn't even compare to the emus.

Also, don't forget the whole "I'm using an expensive video converter" part of my comment.

Also agreed. The composite is so bad you had to go trough all that trouble to hook it up.

Gaming since 1985

Joe Redifer

« Reply #852 on: May 28, 2013, 01:16:11 PM »
I guess nothing beats those consolised MVS.

Well as far as video quality goes, a modified AES beats a consolized MVS. The reason is the refresh rate which I'm sure I've mentioned before. Very tough to record MVS video for me. Also, aren't they mono by default? I find this odd as I remember the arcade cabs being in stereo. But the consolized MVS w/ Supergun I used for one episode was mono.

munchiaz

« Reply #853 on: May 28, 2013, 01:51:17 PM »

GohanX

« Reply #854 on: May 28, 2013, 02:08:51 PM »
Joe: The raw RGB video of the home and MVS systems are the same, it's what happens when the RGB is converted to something else that affects the video quality. Most will tell you MVS video is superior, which isn't strictly true, it's just that the aftermarket video encoders are generally higher quality than a home system. In your case, the MVS you borrowed probably had an inferior video encoder.

As far as stereo, most MVS boards were stereo. However, Jamma standard is mono, so the one you borrowed was either A: Hooked to a mono only supergun, B: A mono one slot board or C: Lazy consolizer didn't hook up both L and R channels.