Author Topic: Game Sack  (Read 72387 times)

ccovell

Re: Game Sack
« Reply #1155 on: December 10, 2013, 12:14:12 PM »
Not a bad sports episode.

True story: On summer vacation in Washington State ~1992, my brother and dad decided to rent an NES & sports game to play at our motel.  The game they chose: Bases Loaded II.  They played for only 30 minutes before all three of us were driven crazy by the horrible, horrible "music".  We went right back to the video store and the nice lady there let us trade it for another title at no extra charge.  (Wayne Gretzky Hockey was the replacement.)

Trivia time:  Pat Riley's Basketball on the Genesis, Takin' it to the Hoop on the Turbo, and Ultimate Basketball on the NES were all basically the same game, developed by Aicom.  You can easily tell from the very similar close-ups during shots on the net.

Punch

« Reply #1156 on: December 10, 2013, 12:26:26 PM »
Yeah I definitely noted the similarities in the close up shots. Pretty interesting, never played the Pat Riley and Ultimate Basketball games.

Xak

« Reply #1157 on: December 10, 2013, 12:36:37 PM »
Segas NFL2k1 used to be my all time favorite sports game, its now 2k5. The deepest franchise mode is like football RPG, rpg like character growth, fluid gameplay , realistic stats, its a modern day  Tecmo Super Bowl.
Im a real life Sadler, just take me to the nearest item shop.

I have aspergers, and am a recovering Tonicholic

Joe Redifer

« Reply #1158 on: December 10, 2013, 05:35:56 PM »
Trivia time:  Pat Riley's Basketball on the Genesis, Takin' it to the Hoop on the Turbo, and Ultimate Basketball on the NES were all basically the same game, developed by Aicom.  You can easily tell from the very similar close-ups during shots on the net.

Interesting to know! Did they make the Pat Riley prototype on the SMS as well? If I recall, that one doesn't have any close-ups. Just today I procured the ever-popular TV Sports Basketball. Mighty game indeed. ;)  I also just took delivery of the incredible World Class Baseball. In many ways it looks just like Tommy Lasorda Baseball. I have to assume the same developers made it. I haven't played the JP version but the US version only has two voices "Seeaa" (safe) and "Outo" (out). Did they just remove the rest because they were in Japanese? I know with Tommy Lasorda, the JP version has Japanese voices and everything was re-recorded in English for the US release. I'm sure Tommy Lasorda directed the recording sessions if not voiced them himself.

Tatsujin

« Reply #1159 on: December 10, 2013, 10:04:03 PM »
Takin' it to da poop!!
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #1160 on: December 11, 2013, 01:37:28 AM »
I also just took delivery of the incredible World Class Baseball.

WCB does nothing wrong IMO for a 1st gen sports game (I can forgive lack of real teams and player names). The gem in that game is base stealing. Two player game becomes a total meta game of leading out from bases and racing the ball. f*ck a bunch of hitting and catching balls.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

Joe Redifer

« Reply #1161 on: December 11, 2013, 07:18:41 AM »
The LAST things I care about are real teams or players. I would like it if Denver was represented somehow, though. And Denver always needs to be something cool like the Ninjas or the Deadly Assassins.

esteban

Game Sack
« Reply #1162 on: December 11, 2013, 10:17:49 AM »
The LAST things I care about are real teams or players. I would like it if Denver was represented somehow, though. And Denver always needs to be something cool like the Ninjas or the Deadly Assassins.

TrĂ¼ storie.
  |    | 

toymachine78

« Reply #1163 on: December 14, 2013, 02:04:31 AM »
The Sports episode sucked no offense. Who gives a crap about 20 year old sports games! Y'all must be running out of ideas.

Xak

« Reply #1164 on: December 14, 2013, 03:09:11 AM »
Im surprised you compared Tecmo Bowl to the Genny and SNES Tecmo Super, but the NES Tecmo Super is actually better than all of those games, gameplay wise.

The Genesis one is the best programmed one and it has "to scale" graphics and smooth animation and control, it sucks that the AI is too easy, so its only good for 2Player play.

I hated Tecmo Super Bowl 2 & 3 for both systems. Lol and I used to have the 'rare' TSB2 on genesis, still sucked IMO.
Im a real life Sadler, just take me to the nearest item shop.

I have aspergers, and am a recovering Tonicholic

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #1165 on: December 14, 2013, 10:25:53 AM »
I'm surprised you guys didn't review Punchout, Arch Rivals, Pigskin Football, NBA Jam, and NFL Blitz! Never the less, it was refreshing to see old classics like Tecmo Bowl and Bases Loaded, those brought back some good memories...

Joe Redifer

« Reply #1166 on: December 14, 2013, 11:54:03 AM »
The Sports episode sucked no offense. Who gives a crap about 20 year old sports games! Y'all must be running out of ideas.

Your comment is what sucks. So far in just under a week 17,946 people have cared about sports games. The accusation that we're running out of ideas was uncalled for. Seems like it was a good idea so far.

Mathius

« Reply #1167 on: December 14, 2013, 12:05:27 PM »

Your comment is what sucks. So far in just under a week 17,946 people have cared about sports games. The accusation that we're running out of ideas was uncalled for. Seems like it was a good idea so far.

It's just his opinion, Joe. You can't please everyone.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

sirhcman

« Reply #1168 on: December 14, 2013, 12:15:50 PM »

Mathius if he had an opinion he should have given his reasoning for why he didn't like it and not just make a broad generalization as to why the episode "sucked". Personally I enjoyed the episode and hope we get another sports episode in the future!

Mathius

« Reply #1169 on: December 14, 2013, 12:45:41 PM »

Mathius if he had an opinion he should have given his reasoning for why he didn't like it and not just make a broad generalization as to why the episode "sucked". Personally I enjoyed the episode and hope we get another sports episode in the future!

Don't get me wrong. I think his post was cruel and borderline trolling. I was just trying to make Joe feel better.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406