Author Topic: Game Sack  (Read 72514 times)

kazekirifx

Re: Game Sack
« Reply #1245 on: January 19, 2014, 12:08:10 PM »
Nice episode. Their X68k collection looks to be about the same size as mine. I should also probably get me some midi modules someday too. :)

toymachine78

« Reply #1246 on: January 19, 2014, 12:37:25 PM »
Great episode! I never knew such a machine existed.

BlueBMW

« Reply #1247 on: January 19, 2014, 12:58:05 PM »
Nice episode. Their X68k collection looks to be about the same size as mine. I should also probably get me some midi modules someday too. :)

MIDI is a lot of fun.  Definitely get you an SC-55 and CM-64 if you can find them.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

jeffhlewis

« Reply #1248 on: January 19, 2014, 01:06:26 PM »
How much of that stuff in the video belonged to Beemer? Thought I recognized the mixer, midi modules, etc.

Tatsujin

« Reply #1249 on: January 19, 2014, 01:44:26 PM »
it's fun, but I love the pekes FM that much, that I would enjoy most games on its native tunes the most :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Tatsujin

« Reply #1250 on: January 19, 2014, 01:45:07 PM »
How much of that stuff in the video belonged to Beemer? Thought I recognized the mixer, midi modules, etc.

I think le everything :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net

Joe Redifer

« Reply #1251 on: January 19, 2014, 02:27:31 PM »
What does pekes mean? Is that some sort of foreign word?

BlueBMW

« Reply #1252 on: January 19, 2014, 02:49:59 PM »

I think its an alternate fan name for the X68000...  kind of like how some call the Sega Genesis the "Feka"
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Joe Redifer

« Reply #1253 on: January 19, 2014, 02:56:06 PM »
Interesting. Anyway to address Tat's comments, yeah the FM is really awesome. I wish it had more bass, though. It sounds kind of thin sometimes. It could use more lower frequencies but the amount of stellar music on the system is amazing. I'm still in the process of recording game soundtracks for my own personal collection. I always like to record from the actual hardware instead of emulators or Winamp-type stuff or what have you.

What are some of your favorite X68000 soundtracks? I wanna make sure I don't miss anything.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 02:58:08 PM by Joe Redifer »

Mathius

« Reply #1254 on: January 19, 2014, 03:02:27 PM »

I think its an alternate fan name for the X68000...  kind of like how some call the Sega Genesis the "Feka"

I never heard that about the Genesis before. Crazy. Thanks for clearing that up though. I felt kinda out of the loop where the X68k was concerned.

Interesting. Anyway to address Tat's comments, yeah the FM is really awesome. I wish it had more bass, though. It sounds kind of thin sometimes. It could use more lower frequencies but the amount of stellar music on the system is amazing. I'm still in the process of recording game soundtracks for my own personal collection. I always like to record from the actual hardware instead of emulators or Winamp-type stuff or what have you.

I'm with Tats on this one. Maybe it's because I don't have a MIDI setup yet but well produced FM has such a cool style that has always been hard for me to ignore. On the other side of the coin poorly produced FM can really grate on my ears. Poor Mega Drive output comes to mind with all the "fart" noises it made that people still make fun of. Overall though the X68k has some truly stellar FM soundtracks that should always be checked out even if MIDI is an option.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

Mathius

« Reply #1255 on: January 19, 2014, 03:22:06 PM »
Joe, I have only just scratched the surface with the X68k's library but off the top of my head (and excluding the obvious choices) I would check out the tunes for Mad Stalker. I first heard them when I was alone, at night, and messing around with my X68000. Due to the setting (and time of year I played it) it always brings the warm and fuzzies for me.  I'll never forget it.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

Joe Redifer

« Reply #1256 on: January 19, 2014, 05:54:42 PM »
Yeah I've already recorded tunes from Mad Stalker, Aquales, Crossfire EX, Etoile Princesse, Geograph Seal, Star Cruiser and Akumajou Dracula (all 3 sound options). There's plenty more I need to do so gimme suggestions if you see I haven't already recorded it.

Geograph Seal sounds about 1000x better in FM than it does in MIDI and it always seems to want to default to MIDI.

TR0N

« Reply #1257 on: January 19, 2014, 06:37:00 PM »
I tried to ask him some questions in preparation for this episode. He wouldn't answer.
He didn't ask for a favor did he !? Maybe that's why hmmmmm  :roll:

Umm WTF is this bullshit?  Fun fact, I have all ads and monetization options on my youtube account disabled and always have, my videos are out of pure passion, no interest in fame/money.  I've never even said "plz subscribe" in any of them ever.   

As for joe, I'm rather busy these days, haven't done a video myself since October.  My personal backlog is large enough as it is, and I have no interest in being part of gamesack, hence no response.  I get messages from people about the X68K daily and the majority go unanswered.   
Just joking for my response still joe cover enough in the video so take what you will.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Tatsujin

« Reply #1258 on: January 19, 2014, 07:02:17 PM »

"peke" is an alternative expression for the letter "X" in japanese. so they really call it "peke rokujuuhachi" "ペケ68".
www.pcedaisakusen.net

SuperDeadite

« Reply #1259 on: January 20, 2014, 12:51:54 AM »
Just watched the video, it was about what I expected.  My biggest issue is the Cotton comment of "nothing special beyond the keyboard lights."  I'm guessing you guys played the first stage and then went with the awful HG101's article of it being a straight port of the arcade game......   This is flat out wrong, if you actually compare it to the arcade you'll notice most of the sprites are completely redrawn, tons of added parallax, and the stage 5 and 6 bosses are completely new and exclusive to this version, while all returning bosses have completely different attack patterns.  Instead of doing a cheap port, Success went all out and made more of a Cotton+ or remix.   Yet know one seems to realize this due to good old HG101's failures.

For internal, my favorite soundtracks are Direct-X, Code-Zero, and Y2.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite