Author Topic: Game Sack  (Read 72902 times)

Tatsujin

Re: Game Sack
« Reply #1665 on: September 14, 2014, 08:55:31 PM »
I think the last comparison screens where the other way round :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

SamIAm

« Reply #1666 on: September 14, 2014, 09:15:12 PM »
The infamous Bayou Billy for NES is actually much easier in its original Japanese form, called Mad City. It's not a great game, but it's not a "What were they thinking?" bad game.

Tatsujin

« Reply #1667 on: September 14, 2014, 11:22:14 PM »
yeah, came quite far in mad city the first time i've played it, until I switched it off due to boringness.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #1668 on: September 15, 2014, 05:30:04 AM »
We need more PC engine U.S comparisons! Like the regional differences between the bonk games. Or the Air Zonk games.. Or even Magical Chase! BTW great episode guys, just saying we need some more PC Engine/Turbo love :)

wildfruit

« Reply #1669 on: September 15, 2014, 05:57:02 AM »
Ah yes good shout for probotector

Desh

« Reply #1670 on: September 15, 2014, 07:18:20 AM »
PSH... as usual the Japanese get the superior version of Game Sack.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #1671 on: September 15, 2014, 07:22:20 AM »
Makes me want to buy the super famicom versons of each of the finsl fight games.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 02:38:15 AM by Medic_wheat »

TR0N

« Reply #1672 on: September 16, 2014, 12:37:39 AM »
yeah, came quite far in mad city the first time i've played it, until I switched it off due to boringness.
If you were to play the nes bayou billy it would cause a rage quit  :wink:

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

ccovell

« Reply #1673 on: September 16, 2014, 11:57:21 AM »
PSH... as usual the Japanese get the superior version of Game Sack.

Well, yes, and no.  On the one hand, they kept on talking about "sipping", which isn't slang I know in any language.  On the other hand, their delivery is way more animated than those Colorado guys.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #1674 on: September 16, 2014, 12:58:03 PM »
Yeah, suck got translated to sip somehow. Translated back it still said "suck" but I guess it meant in the literal term.

esteban

« Reply #1675 on: September 16, 2014, 01:49:03 PM »

I know some of you think I'm crazy, but I beat NES Bayou Billy back in the day. I paid good money for it and I was stuck with it.

Holy crap, if I could tell you how many times I got the final boss down to a few bars and BAM! I'm dead. It was demoralizing, infuriating to get so close...

I actually liked the lightgun and driving segments. They were much better than the beat-em-up stages (some enemies took TOOOOOOOOO MANY HITS before they finally died).

I have yet to play Mad City...but I will, one of these days.  I thought I had the Famicom cart, but I haven't found it yet (still unpacking from my move 8 years ago).
  |    | 

toymachine78

« Reply #1676 on: September 16, 2014, 01:54:54 PM »

I know some of you think I'm crazy, but I beat NES Bayou Billy back in the day. I paid good money for it and I was stuck with it.

Holy crap, if I could tell you how many times I got the final boss down to a few bars and BAM! I'm dead. It was demoralizing, infuriating to get so close...

I actually liked the lightgun and driving segments. They were much better than the beat-em-up stages (some enemies took TOOOOOOOOO MANY HITS before they finally died).

I have yet to play Mad City...but I will, one of these days.  I thought I had the Famicom cart, but I haven't found it yet (still unpacking from my move 8 years ago).
8 Years!?! Get organized man!

SamIAm

« Reply #1677 on: September 16, 2014, 02:09:45 PM »

That's amazing, dude.

The main differences in the original Mad City are that the enemies take fewer hits, your guy can take more hits, I think the enemy AI is a little less aggressive, and the driving stages have wider roads.

gj-16

« Reply #1678 on: September 19, 2014, 02:51:21 AM »
Joe,
I just wanted to say thanks for your show, I always look forward to a new episode.
Appreciate the work that goes into each one, and it's very entertaining.

esteban

Game Sack
« Reply #1679 on: September 19, 2014, 11:00:24 AM »

That's amazing, dude.

The main differences in the original Mad City are that the enemies take fewer hits, your guy can take more hits, I think the enemy AI is a little less aggressive, and the driving stages have wider roads.

That would certainly make the game easier—all those changes Konami made for North America...they could have just done one (or two) modifications (and it still would have been a challenge).

I also almost beat Super Pitfall (or maybe I beat it? I can't remember, but I came damn close). This was on NES with no cheats or saves or breaks...just playing the damn game. I never read a FAQ, and it was before videos...

This game could have been a really nice little game if they had tweaked it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 11:04:22 AM by esteban »
  |    |