Author Topic: Game Sack  (Read 72085 times)

toymachine78

Re: Game Sack
« Reply #1845 on: December 08, 2014, 02:04:40 AM »
Have another burrito Joe. THEN you will like FF7.

cjameslv

« Reply #1846 on: December 08, 2014, 06:07:10 AM »
FF7 was huge to me. I got it when i turned 18 and took me 3 months to beat...damn ruby and emerald weapons...anyway ya i remember playing it for a few hours every day when i got home from work. No walkthrough or anything back then!

technozombie

« Reply #1847 on: December 08, 2014, 06:36:40 AM »
I was a freshman in Highschool when 7 came out, I was hyped up from reading about it in magazines and I loved every minute of the ~100 hours I played it. That being said I've never went back to it. FFVI on the other hand I play through once a yearl.

It's like Dragon Warrior on the NES. I love RPG's and I "should" like Dragon Warrior but I just don't.

BlueBMW

« Reply #1848 on: December 08, 2014, 07:02:23 AM »
I've played it through three times now.

Honestly I like the magic / battle system in it.  I thought it was a very clever customizable system they used.  I didn't fully understand the story until the third playthrough though.  It was a little cliche etc but I still really enjoyed it.  Granted its no Skies of Arcadia... but still quite good.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Joe Redifer

« Reply #1849 on: December 08, 2014, 08:05:44 AM »

I am guilty of this myself (for example, when folks say that Legendary Axe I/II, China Warrior, ______ are bad games).

Well all I can do is let people know why I didn't like it, which I did. All other people can do (or should try to do) is let me know what they like about it. So for example if someone said "Legendary Axe sucks I hate waiting for that damn bar it takes like two minutes to fill before I can swing again and I hate the weak attacks when the bar is empty" my best response would be that I like it, it adds strategy to the way you deal with your enemies. A bad response would be "You don't enjoy it because you're playing it wrong. LOL that's not even 11% into the game! You must beat the entire game before you're allowed to have an opinion on it."

BlueBMW

« Reply #1850 on: December 08, 2014, 08:12:29 AM »
I noticed you had some frustration with some of those battles.  That twin heli boss or whatever is a pain because of the range limitations.  But there is a strategy to it and it is a fun battle.  Many bosses in that game have unique features like that.

Like I said, I really enjoyed the magic system and the way you could customize your equipment using the various combinations of materia.  I though it was really clever and not as limiting as most RPG magic systems are.

Later in the game I loved the free roam nature of it.  Yeah there is a linear story path, but at many points you can go do other things for as long as you want.  The beginning of the game is very linear in nature and while great doesn't do a good job representing the game as a whole.  Once you get an airship later on... man does it open up!

Anyways, I am sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as I did, but I am glad you gave it another shot.  Did you doll up Cloud well enough to be picked by the Don or did you get the reject spot?
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Gentlegamer

« Reply #1851 on: December 08, 2014, 08:16:37 AM »
Joe, you haven't lived until you've mated chocobo for 90 hours so you can get the best materia in the game (that also needs you to grind to level up).

Desh

« Reply #1852 on: December 08, 2014, 09:04:55 AM »
Meh... I played through most of FF7 on PC and liked it but never finished it.  A few months ago I picked up a copy on PS1 and thought I would want to go right through and finally beat the thing.  I lost interest after getting out of Midgar.  The one thing I completely adore about FF7 though is the music.  Admittedly, I am not the biggest turn based RPG fan in the world but sometimes one will suck me in.  Originally, FF7 did to a point but I just can't get back into it now.  It's hard for me to get into turn based when there are Zeldas, Neutopias and Alundras of the world.  I actually beat Crystallis on NES for the first time a few months ago and even though it's an action RPG it was getting to be a grind towards the end.  That was a long damn game for being on the NES.

My favorite turn based "RPG" you ask?  Sweet Home on Famicom (translated of course).  It's what I love about survival horror with a turn based RPG format but a good story and good, fitting music.

esteban

« Reply #1853 on: December 08, 2014, 09:15:29 AM »

I am guilty of this myself (for example, when folks say that Legendary Axe I/II, China Warrior, ______ are bad games).

Well all I can do is let people know why I didn't like it, which I did. All other people can do (or should try to do) is let me know what they like about it. So for example if someone said "Legendary Axe sucks I hate waiting for that damn bar it takes like two minutes to fill before I can swing again and I hate the weak attacks when the bar is empty" my best response would be that I like it, it adds strategy to the way you deal with your enemies. A bad response would be "You don't enjoy it because you're playing it wrong. LOL that's not even 11% into the game! You must beat the entire game before you're allowed to have an opinion on it."

HAHJAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH. Too true. Well, actually, it's 89% trĂ¼e. You only finished 11%* of the game, after all.

*Technically 10.64%, but I rounded up to 11%.
  |    | 

EvilEvoIX

« Reply #1854 on: December 08, 2014, 09:21:26 AM »
Another great episode.  I did like Bonk immediately however and the game is so easy I think the iffy attacks add some difficulty and realism as only the top of Bonks head can attack and even though you spin very fast you still expose Bonk's vulnerable body.  The game lets you use the turbo switches as I guess it was a gimmick of the system which basically defines it.

Quote from: ProfessorProfessorson
I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.

seieienbu

« Reply #1855 on: December 09, 2014, 06:33:51 AM »
Joe, you haven't lived until you've mated chocobo for 90 hours so you can get the best materia in the game (that also needs you to grind to level up).

I had a first generation PS1 that overheated all the time.  As you had to wait an in-game hour between attempts, the obvious method of Chocobo breading was if you didn't get the result you wanted, reset the game and try again.  As I could do that 3 times before my PS1 wouldn't load the game I didn't get Knights of the Round until I got a PS2.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Joe Redifer

« Reply #1856 on: December 09, 2014, 06:54:35 AM »

Anyways, I am sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as I did, but I am glad you gave it another shot.  Did you doll up Cloud well enough to be picked by the Don or did you get the reject spot?
He didn't pick me though I thought for sure he would since I'm the protagonist and all.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #1857 on: December 09, 2014, 07:08:46 AM »

He didn't pick me though I thought for sure he would since I'm the protagonist and all.

The Don has standards.

And so do you ... by not trudging through the cliched and ugly grindfest that is Final Fantasy VII. Even in 1997 I was disappointed with the game. So don't worry, millions of fans can (and are wrong). It's a game that's way more significant in terms of popularizing RPGs than it was a polished and finely tuned product.
--DragonmasterDan

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #1858 on: December 09, 2014, 07:57:50 AM »
I'm a Zelda guy anyway. So I'm not mad at you, Joe.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

BlueBMW

« Reply #1859 on: December 09, 2014, 10:37:53 PM »
There was a specific set of doll up items you needed to get picked by the don.  Made for a little more awkward moment if you got picked.

I want to disagree with you Dan but you made me play the Lunar games so I know you're right... :(