Author Topic: Game Sack  (Read 73148 times)

esteban

Game Sack
« Reply #2055 on: March 15, 2015, 04:52:48 PM »
We were going for games were the female is the lead. You can elect to not play as the chick in Rolling Thunder 2.

El Viento is way better than the Valis games (if you're only going to cover one Telenet game/series), but you've covered it before.

:)

El Viento vs. Valis III (TG-CD)? :)

No way, Valis III pulls ahead.

:)

This is not really for you, DragonMasterDan, but this is really just a rehash of what I used 10-15 years ago to defend VALIS III from El Viento fans.

I've played and beaten El Viento countless times and I like it, certainly. But it is not not without its shortcomings.

So, here we go...
[rant]

I know folks love El Viento and Wolf Team, but Valis III doesn't have the UGLY PIXELATED EXPLODING EVERYTHING (I like to joke about the OCTOPI or whatever those things are in the sea stage, but every stage suffers for it).

GRATUTUITOUS PIXELATION + goofy explosion SFX = destruction of atmosphere, detracts from music, etc. This automatically disqualifies El Viento from being a serious contender to Valis III, and I haven't even started on how the level designs in El Viento (back and forth, back and forth, back and forth) are NOT better than Valis III (admittedly, level design had never been amazingly inspired in Valis series, but Valis III > El Viento).

Parodius Da! For example, is a great game that has GIANT PIXELATION FX inspired by SNES. Parodius is a thoroughly solid game, though, which lessens its offensiveness. Not so for El Viento, where the giant pixelated explosions seem like a garish joke that is used over and over and over. 

The exploding "tiny round logs" and "bricks" are another example of how the OVERLY LOUD SFX really become grating because Annet destroys thousands of these damn things.

VALIS III offers superior atmosphere, music, level design, three-player-switching, satisfaction from SOLVING CHALLENGES (via character choice and magic), story, cinemas, etc etc.

....dare I say character design! Seriously!

Valis III is far more satisfying to progress in (solving challenges is rewarding) and also the game that has more replayability. At least for me, anyway.

Valis III will always be a second-class game to the Great Ones, but it is closer to the first-class than El Viento.

[/rant]
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 05:34:01 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

Gentlegamer

Re: Game Sack
« Reply #2056 on: March 16, 2015, 05:07:09 AM »
Surprised Alisia Dragoon didn't make the video.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #2057 on: March 16, 2015, 05:11:09 AM »
Surprised Alisia Dragoon didn't make the video.

I think they were trying to mention games they have not already discussed in previous episodes. Or at lest limit it a bit to make it more interesting.

Good news is there are tons of other games to pick from for many more installments.

Even our very own princess peach

Gentlegamer

« Reply #2058 on: March 16, 2015, 05:19:06 AM »
I mean from the Joe is a FEKA Fanboy angle.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2059 on: March 16, 2015, 05:42:14 AM »
No Princess Misa?!?  You are dead to me!!!
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Bloufo

« Reply #2060 on: March 16, 2015, 06:40:34 AM »
'Beyond Good And Evil' definitely merited an inclusion.

Shoulda dropped Space Channel 5. I'm sure Dave wouldn't disagree.  :P

Opethian

« Reply #2061 on: March 16, 2015, 06:51:44 AM »
maybe if someone could send them an Athena PCB because the NES port is terrible

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me

esteban

« Reply #2062 on: March 16, 2015, 07:00:10 AM »
maybe if someone could send them an Athena PCB because the NES port is terrible

I guess I gotta spend some more time with arcade version of Athena. I have only played it via emulation, years ago.

I actually have a life-long mission to continue playing the NES version of Athena (I know I'll never really beat it...I  can't believe this game didn't get tweaked before release...it could have been awesome, especially for the time it was released.)

|    | 

Joe Redifer

« Reply #2063 on: March 17, 2015, 08:10:35 PM »

I know folks love El Viento and Wolf Team, but Valis III doesn't have the UGLY PIXELATED EXPLODING EVERYTHING (I like to joke about the OCTOPI or whatever those things are in the sea stage, but every stage suffers for it).

Aw hell no! Pixelated graphics are AWESOME! That's REAL SCALING ACTION MOTHERf*ckER! If pixelated graphics weren't the monkey's tit, then WHY WAS THE SNES FULL OF SIMILAR PIXELATED GRAPHICS?????? We all know the SNES was the best in every aspect. Betcha can't answer that one! If it wasn't done on SNES, then it wasn't any good. BAM another one shut down!

'Beyond Good And Evil' definitely merited an inclusion.

Shoulda dropped Space Channel 5. I'm sure Dave wouldn't disagree.

That was all on Dave. He was considering Beyond Good and Evil but chose Space Channel 5 instead. I don't know why. I tried to convince him not to choose Space Channel 5. I personally have never liked that game and don't understand why it is so admired. If he had the Dreamcast version he wouldn't be allowed to do it since he can't record the Dreamcast in 480p, but he had the PS2 version which is 480i only which he can record (he can also record PS2 in 480p). The PS2 was pretty shitty when it came to video output. Very few 480p games. Tomb Raider Anniversary was 480p and that looked great. So many PS2 developers missed the boat. Interlaced anything is for losers.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #2064 on: March 17, 2015, 09:49:23 PM »
The only rhythm game I tried so far is Rhythm heaven for the Wii. I halfway suck in that game, but I still think it makes fun. Good thing is that it is more about keeping in sync with the beat, and less about remembering long strings of button combinations.

And once you have seen the NSFW fan video of remix no. 10, you can't unsee it anymore when you play the game.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #2065 on: March 18, 2015, 10:04:13 AM »
Oh yeah I forgot about that crappy Parappa the Rappa Sequel Unjammer Lammy.

InfraMan

« Reply #2066 on: March 18, 2015, 04:14:07 PM »
Oh yeah I forgot about that crappy Parappa the Rappa Sequel Unjammer Lammy.

I liked UmJammer Lammy more than Parappa. Especially the original Japanese version. :twisted:

Then again, I like rhythm games in general.

shawnji

« Reply #2067 on: March 20, 2015, 08:17:41 PM »
I think I've pretty much caught up on the show now.  I actually only found out about it when I was hunting YouTube for Ys version comparisons.  I feel like a dummy because it wasn't until about a month ago that I realized Joe was "Moderator Joe" on here.

You guys have really improved a lot since the early episodes.  In particular, Dave's readings don't sound quite so forced these days.   Game Grumps, JonTron, and Game Sack are about the only gaming shows on YouTube I can stand to watch recently; the former two for their humor and Game Sack for being a well-produced and edited, genuinely informative gaming show.

I'd really like to see an episode on games with controversial content.  I only say this because I desperately want to see more people talk about the Exile games in depth and make note of the changes (intentional and otherwise) made for the US versions.  C'mon, Joe, make it happen!

P.S. If we're discussing rhythm games, have you guys played Gitaroo Man!?  Such an awesome and overlooked little game.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #2068 on: March 21, 2015, 01:46:30 AM »

I liked UmJammer Lammy more than Parappa. Especially the original Japanese version. :twisted:

Then again, I like rhythm games in general.

I agree.

It's Parappa 2 that's lousy.
--DragonmasterDan

InfraMan

« Reply #2069 on: March 21, 2015, 07:42:58 AM »
P.S. If we're discussing rhythm games, have you guys played Gitaroo Man!?  Such an awesome and overlooked little game.

I LOVE Gitaroo Man! I can still hear that acoustic theme from stage 6 in my head, lol. 8)

I also really like the underrated Taiko Drum Master on PS2... I lived in an upstairs apartment back when that one first came out, and it's a wonder the people living below me didn't kill me in my sleep.

I agree.

It's Parappa 2 that's lousy.

Yep, Parappa 2 was an abomination. [-(