Author Topic: Game Sack  (Read 72880 times)

esteban

Game Sack
« Reply #2160 on: April 11, 2015, 05:53:19 AM »
So back on topic a bit... Joe, do you guys have a plan on what you are planning to do in future episodes of Gamesack? Or is it some uber kept secret? :P

It depends on how much he can get the forum to give him info https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=18807.0

Is there something wrong with asking the community's opinion, as part of research on an upcoming episode?  I mean, we see how people react when someone on YT gets something wrong.  I am going to do a Turbografx "launch" episode sometime in the near future, and was planning on running the list of games by the community to see if they think they are acceptable as "launch window" games, but not if I'm going to catch hell for not mentioning the forums in the episode.

Well, everyone loves to criticize everything, but for something like the launch titles, you may remember we recently revisited the topic. I still don't know what games to include.

TG-16's first ~three months of releases seems like the best I can do (from personal memory), since I purchased TG-16 on XMAS...but, damn, I can't remember what was available in September or October of 1989. I have a handful of definites...but a lot of maybes....
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 06:18:30 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

Gentlegamer

Re: Game Sack
« Reply #2161 on: April 11, 2015, 06:04:10 AM »
All I can say is I'm not inclined to help someone else's monetized youtube channel by contributing information and research.

Regarding the turbo launch games, if you use this forum as a source from which you either produced your list or confirm your own list on the basis of its credibility and 'authority,' then rules of scholarly work require a citation, so your viewers can examine your source and judge its veracity, and as courtesy to acknowledge the work of others. Otherwise it is plagiarism.

Jibbajaba

« Reply #2162 on: April 11, 2015, 07:18:39 AM »
All I can say is I'm not inclined to help someone else's monetized youtube channel by contributing information and research.

Regarding the turbo launch games, if you use this forum as a source from which you either produced your list or confirm your own list on the basis of its credibility and 'authority,' then rules of scholarly work require a citation, so your viewers can examine your source and judge its veracity, and as courtesy to acknowledge the work of others. Otherwise it is plagiarism.

Regarding point #1, that is of course your prerogative.  But understand that it is the YouTube content creator's prerogative as to whether or not they want to give a "shout out" to people who helped them.  Personally, if Joe or anyone else started a thread asking for information (just as Joe did), I would have no problem contributing to that thread if I had helpful information.  For me, that's just being part of the community.  Joe puts a shitload of work into those Game Sack videos (exponentially more work than is required by one of us to answer a question that he posts here) and he absolutely deserves whatever money he makes from those videos.

Regarding point #2, it is absolutely not plagiarism to not site a source of information.  If I *QUOTE* a source and pass that quote off as my own, then that is plagiarism.  Beyond that, I find your stance on the issue to be misguided, to put it gently.  YouTube videos of this nature are not scholarly works.  I can only speak for myself, but the information that I present in my videos comes from a variety of sources of various levels of reliability.  Wikipedia and GameFaqs being on the low end of that spectrum, issues of Retro Gamer being somewhere in the middle, and published books written by self-described gaming "scholars" like Bill Loguidice on the high-end.

Este: I agree.  I think that for that episode, I am just going to have to go with "launch window" games, because there is seemingly no way that we are ever going to nail down exactly what was available right at the start of the test launch, or the national roll-out.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #2163 on: April 11, 2015, 08:41:58 AM »
I like to keep episodes under wraps, usually. Yeah I'll ask an occasional question to get some opinions but then I will vet them myself. For example if someone says "Such and such a game has a great voice", I will check for myself to see if I personally think it's good for the system. There are always some people like Gentle Gamer who don't like the fact that we make money on the videos and stuff like that and are often sour to me on multiple forums. (I will keep in mind your comment about Arkhan, though. We give 8-bit Eric so much shit even though we like him and I never realized that Arkhan just does the same thing to everyone). Anyway I wouldn't call posting your opinion about what games have good voices as "research". It's not like you are going to sit down and go through every HuCard game and listen (and neither am I). So asking what stands out in any given forum member's memory is a great place to start. Also it makes for a great topic which is why I don't brand the thread as "Game Sack neeeeds to know about teh voices!!!" The thread can continue without it being directly related to us. All of the games I ended up choosing I had played before. But I always credit people when they give/lend games or systems. Some people don't even want to be credited (like BlueBMW) but I started giving him credit anyway after the comments on this forum didn't like that.

Anyway, where am I going with this? I dunno.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 08:46:00 AM by Joe Redifer »

Gentlegamer

« Reply #2164 on: April 11, 2015, 08:52:17 AM »
It's more a matter of disclosure.

Starting a thread: hey I'm working on an episode of [monetized game channel] and I'm thinking of doing subject x, anyone have info on it? let's the community know what your motive is, and each can decide his response, whether he wants to help.

Starting a thread: hey classic gaming community bros, it's me, your classic gaming bro! I was just randomly wondering what you think about subject x (or, I'm a big fan of thing in games, do you know more examples of thing in games?) gives a completely different motive and is misleading, in my opinion.

If you haven't already, you should do an episode on Genesis games in true stereo that requires headphones, make use of that list you made twenty years ago and all the bad games you had to wade through.

esteban

« Reply #2165 on: April 11, 2015, 08:56:31 AM »

I like to keep episodes under wraps, usually. Yeah I'll ask an occasional question to get some opinions but then I will vet them myself. For example if someone says "Such and such a game has a great voice", I will check for myself to see if I personally think it's good for the system. There are always some people like Gentle Gamer who don't like the fact that we make money on the videos and stuff like that and are often sour to me on multiple forums. (I will keep in mind your comment about Arkhan, though. We give 8-bit Eric so much shit even though we like him and I never realized that Arkhan just does the same thing to everyone). Anyway I wouldn't call posting your opinion about what games have good voices as "research". It's not like you are going to sit down and go through every HuCard game and listen (and neither am I). So asking what stands out in any given forum member's memory is a great place to start. Also it makes for a great topic which is why I don't brand the thread as "Game Sack neeeeds to know about teh voices!!!" The thread can continue without it being directly related to us. All of the games I ended up choosing I had played before. But I always credit people when they give/lend games or systems. Some people don't even want to be credited (like BlueBMW) but I started giving him credit anyway after comments on this forum didn't like that.

Anyway, where am I going with this? I dunno.

Totally random question (I think I asked it in the past, but I honestly can't  remember if it was answered):

When are you going to incorporate extreme unicycling with Game Sack?

Honestly, I am surprised this hasn't happened already.

|    | 

Jibbajaba

« Reply #2166 on: April 11, 2015, 09:04:32 AM »
It's more a matter of disclosure.

Starting a thread: hey I'm working on an episode of [monetized game channel] and I'm thinking of doing subject x, anyone have info on it? let's the community know what your motive is, and each can decide his response, whether he wants to help.

Starting a thread: hey classic gaming community bros, it's me, your classic gaming bro! I was just randomly wondering what you think about subject x (or, I'm a big fan of thing in games, do you know more examples of thing in games?) gives a completely different motive and is misleading, in my opinion.

If you haven't already, you should do an episode on Genesis games in true stereo that requires headphones, make use of that list you made twenty years ago and all the bad games you had to wade through.

It's not that I don't understand where you're coming from, it's just that I don't see what the big deal is.  If it were just some nobody from the outside stopping by to pump us for information without telling us why, then yeah OK that's not cool.  Just like people flying by to dump off their Turbobs at eBay prices.  But Joe was a member of this community long before he had a YouTube channel, so some of us (myself included) think that it's pretty neat to see someone who is "one of us" start a show and make such a success out of it. 

I've always thought that you were a cool guy, and I am certainly not saying that I have a problem with you now, but this sudden hard-on that you have for Joe is really just sounding like jealousy or bitterness.  You might want to take a step back and think about how you're acting (and why) before continuing with this.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #2167 on: April 11, 2015, 09:40:22 AM »

It has! But only a brief clip. It's somewhere in this older episode. EDIT: It's in the Unicracers segment on the second half of the episode:

And I don't believe that I've ever been asked that before. Ha ha good ol' Rick.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 09:42:39 AM by Joe Redifer »

Gentlegamer

« Reply #2168 on: April 11, 2015, 10:24:03 AM »
I was just giving Joe some crap in response to the question about his show plans, and explaining in response to Jib's question. I don't wish to make  a big issue of it.

I'm glad Joe can see the point about Arkhan. :D

esteban

« Reply #2169 on: April 11, 2015, 11:44:44 AM »

It has! But only a brief clip. It's somewhere in this older episode. EDIT: It's in the Unicracers segment on the second half of the episode:

And I don't believe that I've ever been asked that before. Ha ha good ol' Rick.

Oh my Gosh! Now that is crazy :)

|    | 

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #2170 on: April 11, 2015, 03:23:22 PM »
Yeah I mean, Joe often comes off as semi clueless because he doesn't check in here or on the chat things.

I talk like this most of the time, about everything.  It's not like I'm singling Joe out or trying to take him down.

I mean, being a moderator here, it'd be cool if you checked in more and paid better attention, but if you don't want to, whatever. 

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #2171 on: April 11, 2015, 06:57:20 PM »
For a second there I almost thought that the chat was working again. Fool me twice, well... can't be fooled again! I was happy when Necro became a mod especially after Nat and Keranu's abandonment. The forum mostly seems to take care of itself with the exception of approving new members who register.

TR0N

« Reply #2172 on: April 11, 2015, 07:49:12 PM »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #2173 on: April 11, 2015, 08:50:11 PM »
For a second there I almost thought that the chat was working again. Fool me twice, well... can't be fooled again! I was happy when Necro became a mod especially after Nat and Keranu's abandonment. The forum mostly seems to take care of itself with the exception of approving new members who register.

pcengine.freeforums.org

it's been a thing for like 2 or 3 years now, lol
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

seieienbu

« Reply #2174 on: April 12, 2015, 07:57:44 AM »
Yay, game sack episode.

The final level of Battletoads has a similar effect as the tower in the NES Kirby game.  The rotation doesn't look quite as good as it does in Kirby but check out the level "The Revolution" in all its glorious splender!

Current want list:  Bomberman 93