Author Topic: Game Sack  (Read 72471 times)

EvilEvoIX

Re: Game Sack
« Reply #2175 on: April 12, 2015, 09:00:10 AM »
Another quality episode.  I was really hoping for Virtua Racing for the Sega Genesis.  That was a great effort.

Quote from: ProfessorProfessorson
I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #2176 on: April 12, 2015, 09:26:15 AM »
I think you guys just stumbled on a good idea for a future video. As Dave said regarding a guilty pleasure game that he couldn't explain why he liked it lets see a video on guilty pleaser games.

Games you like wheatear they be good or not or on systems that may not be known for any good games to start.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #2177 on: April 12, 2015, 09:40:45 AM »
I think you guys just stumbled on a good idea for a future video. As Dave said regarding a guilty pleasure game that he couldn't explain why he liked it lets see a video on guilty pleaser games.

Games you like wheatear they be good or not or on systems that may not be known for any good games to start.

Well, I wouldn't mind seeing another guilty pleasures episode. I found today's episode very entertaining. I didn't know GT4 supported 1080i on PS2, what a pleasant surprise. Though I'm more a Forza Motorsport guy since Forza 4, where there is a decent collision detection/crash deformation model with destructible cars, realistic motor sounds and I don't have to pass stupid driving tests.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 09:45:56 AM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

toymachine78

« Reply #2178 on: April 12, 2015, 09:41:24 AM »
Good episode. It just struck me that Joe bears a striking resemblance to Chuck Norris lol

esteban

« Reply #2179 on: April 12, 2015, 09:46:51 AM »

Good episode. It just struck me that Joe bears a striking resemblance to Chuck Norris lol

Stephen Baldwin. Yup.
  |    | 

Medic_wheat

« Reply #2180 on: April 12, 2015, 10:03:30 AM »

Well, I wouldn't mind seeing another guilty pleasures episode. I found today's episode very entertaining. I didn't know GT4 supported 1080i on PS2, what a pleasant surprise. Though I'm more a Forza Motorsport guy since Forza 4, where there is a decent collision detection/crash deformation model with destructible cars, realistic motor sounds and I don't have to pass stupid driving tests.

Ah then let's get a part zwei then

SamIAm

« Reply #2181 on: April 14, 2015, 02:56:12 PM »
I enjoyed the episode, but is voice quality really a good measure of developer skill or hardware stretching? Of course, it's nice to know what the highest possible quality playback is like for each system, and how the systems compare. Yet it seems like higher-than-usual quality would only be the result of allocating more space in the ROM for higher sample rates. It's like how the "SEGA" voice in Sonic 1 apparently took up 1/8 of the ROM space.

If some clips required coding up some special program to convert the original audio in a very specialized way, or if the hardware is streaming/processing the audio in some atypical fashion, then that's cool. But otherwise, voice quality doesn't seem very remarkable to me. There's virtually no design sense involved.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 03:20:46 PM by SamIAm »

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #2182 on: April 14, 2015, 06:41:14 PM »
For the N64, Factor 5 (Rogue Squadron) wrote some special sound engine that made the use of lengthy compressed voice clips possible while
 1. Let the N64 decompress them on-the-fly
2. Still saving enough storage space on the cartridge for game data.

I wouldn't be surprised if Factor 5 licensed their engine to other developers after the release of RS.

By the way, I was surprised when I found FIFA 98 Road to World Cup had both English and German commentary selectable on the German version of the game. Even having one single commentator was an achievement on that console due to space constraints on the N64 cartridge.

I said no, no, no

elmer

« Reply #2183 on: April 14, 2015, 07:09:51 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Factor 5 licensed their engine to other developers after the release of RS.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that it was available.

For the N64, Factor 5 (Rogue Squadron) wrote some special sound engine that made the use of lengthy compressed voice clips possible while
 1. Let the N64 decompress them on-the-fly
2. Still saving enough storage space on the cartridge for game data.

The N64's processor was nice and fast. People (and not just Factor 5) were using the GSM  06.10 (the European cell-phone compression standard) http://www.quut.com/gsm/ for speech on the N64 ... for 9:1 compression.

That kind of processing power wasn't as available on the Genesis (or at all on the SNES or PCE).

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #2184 on: April 14, 2015, 07:50:03 PM »
Thank you very much! :)

I said no, no, no

Joe Redifer

« Reply #2185 on: April 18, 2015, 08:14:45 AM »
I enjoyed the episode, but is voice quality really a good measure of developer skill or hardware stretching?

Yep. You don't often hear quality voices in cartridge games and I like to point out games that pushed them to sound better than 99% of other games on the system.

Dicer

« Reply #2186 on: April 22, 2015, 04:13:28 PM »
Next one of these please mention Star Parodier

Level 7 pushes more crap on screen than the system has any right to be pushing...aside from that giant sprites and scrolling galore, minimal if any slowdown or flicker (a lil bit in the mentioned level 7)

TR0N

« Reply #2187 on: April 25, 2015, 07:22:34 PM »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

seieienbu

« Reply #2188 on: April 25, 2015, 08:32:30 PM »
Yay, NGPC!  I picked up one at a Best Buy with Sonic and a few other games somewhere around 2,000 then bought a second one packed with 6 games for like $49 some years later.  I'm not entirely sure which games it came with, but Faselei and Fatal Fury were in there iirc.  I always assumed there was a ton of left over old stock that somebody decided to try to make some money off of.  The second set didn't come with any manuals or boxes/cases, just the games.

My one complaint about the NGPC was the sprites on the system having only 4 colors (one of which being clear) was always something of a buzz kill; this was particularly true in the many fighting games on the platform.  Games that got away with not using sprites, like SvC Card Fighters and Ogre Battle, looked waaaay better.  The port of Ogre Battle compares alright even to the one on the Super Nintendo which was a pleasant surprise.  I always wondered if there were any games that would do things like layer two sprites on top of each other to get around the color limitations but I never owned any that did so.  Seeing Dark Arms in actions shows that it could have been done, I just wish more games had done so.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 08:37:13 PM by seieienbu »
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

CPTBadAss

« Reply #2189 on: April 26, 2015, 04:26:39 AM »
I love the NGPC so much. Got into sometime last year  and it was mainly to grab the two Metal Slug games on it. Probably two of the most affordable Metal Slug games out there. I have this fantasy of collecting everything Metal Slug but I'm not sure it will happen
Maximum Output. Activate the pit.