Author Topic: Game Sack  (Read 72993 times)

mickcris

Re: Game Sack
« Reply #2235 on: May 28, 2015, 06:52:10 AM »

xelement5x

« Reply #2236 on: May 28, 2015, 11:07:13 AM »
turns out Shovel Knight is not getting a physical release soon:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/04/egads_shovel_knight_is_getting_a_physical_release_on_nintendo_3ds

It's possible, but this is the second time in a row it has come up for sale and then disappeared.  If you look at that link it's from April, the first time they added and then removed it. 

I think they're just trying to get all the digital copies monies they can, then release a physical version for those people who they know will double-dip just to have a physical copy. 
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

MrBroadway

« Reply #2237 on: May 28, 2015, 11:35:54 AM »
Let me know when it come to the Dreamcast.

Black Tiger

« Reply #2238 on: May 28, 2015, 12:42:46 PM »
Let me know when it comes to PC Engine or Genesis.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

MrBroadway

« Reply #2239 on: May 28, 2015, 02:47:51 PM »
Let me know when it comes to PC Engine or Genesis.
You think either can handle all that at that level? [Serious question, I really don't know.]

Joe Redifer

« Reply #2240 on: May 28, 2015, 04:30:35 PM »
The designers said they envisioned it being an NES game with some helper chips. But with all of the overlapping scrolling layers they'd probably need at least a Saturn.

MrBroadway

« Reply #2241 on: May 28, 2015, 05:21:44 PM »
The designers said they envisioned it being an NES game with some helper chips. But with all of the overlapping scrolling layers they'd probably need at least a Saturn.
I was debating saying Saturn or Dreamcast, but no one programs for the Saturn.

EvilEvoIX

« Reply #2242 on: May 29, 2015, 12:25:06 AM »

Maybe a Genesis but I agree there is a lot going on.

Quote from: ProfessorProfessorson
I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.

xelement5x

« Reply #2243 on: May 29, 2015, 04:24:42 AM »
This is a neat little read on some of the dev process that went on with Shovel Knight, there are a couple other entries on Gama about Shovel Knight from the author as well if interested.  I would really like to play the game personally, but I rarely purchase anything digital.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidDAngelo/20140625/219383/Breaking_the_NES_for_Shovel_Knight.php
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

NightWolve

« Reply #2244 on: May 29, 2015, 05:39:04 AM »
Good read.

Black Tiger

« Reply #2245 on: May 29, 2015, 06:01:45 AM »
Arcade ports were technically impossible for 16-bit gen consoles bitd, but we got lots anyways. Shovel Knight would be less of a stretch for MD/PCE from what I've seen. If some sections only have 8 lsyers of psrallax instead of 12, it's not a big deal. Playing a game on real 16-bit hardware with chip tunes would be a big deal though.

What I saw in preview videos definitely looked beyond all existing and potential-within-a-few-more-years NES add-on chips, but not unreasonable for MD/PCE. If ports were handled by typical average 16-bit gen developers with tunnel vision who can only be bothered or are only capable of scrolling tile layers in uncreative ways, then yeah, they'd need a PSX/Saturn. Unless I never got to see some particular parallax examples in SK, then a reasonably facsimile could be pulled off that wouldn't look different to the average person, unless they compared them side by side.

The idea of playing a modern computer game with faux retro dressing on modern hardware doesn't appeal to me. Playing even a compromised version on 16-bit consoles would be completely different.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

toymachine78

« Reply #2246 on: May 29, 2015, 10:14:09 AM »
Shovel Knight is a fantastic game. I bought it a couple of weeks before this episode and couldn't be happier. If you like Mega man and duck tales you'll love it.

Otaking

« Reply #2247 on: May 30, 2015, 01:28:12 AM »
I finally bought Sovel Knight on the 3DS a few days ago. I've kept meaning to buy it since it's release as it's had loads of rave reveiws and talked about with such high regard. I've only done four stages but from what I've seen so far, graphically it looked like it could easily be done on a SNES or Genesis. Saying it requires atleast a Saturn I can't see it myself, am I missing something?
I really like and fully support the idea of new 2D sprite based games, but so far Shove Knight hasn't really grabbed me. Maybe it's because I've never been a huge Mega Man fan and I find it a similar gameplay to that, I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 01:33:48 AM by HardcoreOtaku »

esteban

Game Sack
« Reply #2248 on: May 30, 2015, 03:28:50 AM »
I finally bought Sovel Knight on the 3DS a few days ago. I've kept meaning to buy it since it's release as it's had loads of rave reveiws and talked about with such high regard. I've only done four stages but from what I've seen so far, graphically it looked like it could easily be done on a SNES or Genesis. Saying it requires atleast a Saturn I can't see it myself, am I missing something?
I really like and fully support the idea of new 2D sprite based games, but so far Shove Knight hasn't really grabbed me. Maybe it's because I've never been a huge Mega Man fan and I find it a similar gameplay to that, I'm not sure.

I gotta buy this game. My daughter has a 3DS, but I don't think we have ever used the digital marketplace.

Anyway, between all the positive things, I listened to a bunch of songs from this game (again!) and decided that I have to get the damn the game.

The problem, of course, is that my daughter and I would then be competing for 3DS. I'd be yelling: "POKEMON IS A WASTE OF TIME. LET ME PLAY SHOVEL KNIGHT!."

And she would reply: "OK. I'LL PLAY SHOVEL KNIGHT, THEN."

And then I would mumble: "Damn."
  |    | 

Otaking

« Reply #2249 on: May 30, 2015, 03:41:46 AM »

I gotta buy this game. My daughter has a 3DS, but I don't think we have ever used the digital marketplace.

Anyway, between all the positive things, I listened to a bunch of songs from this game (again!) and decided that I have to get the damn the game.

The problem, of course, is that my daughter and I would then be competing for 3DS. I'd be yelling: "POKEMON IS A WASTE OF TIME. LET ME PLAY SHOVEL KNIGHT!."

And she would reply: "OK. I'LL PLAY SHOVEL KNIGHT, THEN."

And then I would mumble: "Damn."
Yeh I used my 5 year old daughters 3DS to play the game, I don't have one myself. It was the first time I had connected it to the internet and used the 3DS download store. I thought Shovel Knight was really exspensive, I'm used to buying much cheaper digital download games on my iPad.