Author Topic: Game Sack  (Read 72112 times)

wildfruit

Re: Game Sack
« Reply #2490 on: September 20, 2015, 07:46:31 AM »
Ah game boy. How I still cherish mine. So many memories. Though I don't have much love for 6 golden coins. Far too easy. I remember opening it Christmas morning and finishing it by dinner time.
Favourite game boy game not mentioned
Monster max
Best music on system imo and a great isometric puzzler.

esteban

« Reply #2491 on: September 20, 2015, 09:22:30 AM »

Ah game boy. How I still cherish mine. So many memories. Though I don't have much love for 6 golden coins. Far too easy. I remember opening it Christmas morning and finishing it by dinner time.
Monster max

I don't think I have ever played Monster Max, unless it was given a different title for North America.
  |    | 

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #2492 on: September 20, 2015, 10:34:56 AM »
Thanks for the GameBoy episode, enjoyable! Those 37 minutes flew by as if they were way shorter, which is always a good sign.

Although it seems to me like you guys slightly messed up the "colour" palette for Super Mario Land, Kirby 1 and Kirby 2 - these parts of the video look like white was swapped with light grey.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 07:30:50 PM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

johnnykonami

« Reply #2493 on: September 20, 2015, 11:23:49 AM »
Beating the original Game Boy Castlevania was a proud moment for me, getting all the jump timing down especially.  It gets a lot of flack, but I remember it somewhat fondly despite its flaws.

wildfruit

« Reply #2494 on: September 20, 2015, 11:36:04 AM »

Monster max

I don't think I have ever played Monster Max, unless it was given a different title for North America.
Same title as far as I'm aware but I think it was released quite a while after reviews appeared in magazines and had been forgotten about. Its a RARE gem, same composer as snake rattle n roll etc too.

EvilEvoIX

« Reply #2495 on: September 20, 2015, 12:18:48 PM »
AMAZING Game Boy Episode!!!  I had the Game Boy at launch and it was my primary gaming device for a couple of years and I really enjoyed it.  That Kid Dracula looks like a good one.

Quote from: ProfessorProfessorson
I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.

seieienbu

« Reply #2496 on: September 20, 2015, 12:22:06 PM »
Gameboy!  Yay!  I always really liked Sword of Hope 2 and after you reviewed the first I was kinda hoping you'd review it.  That being said, you covered a lot of really cool games. 

Maybe Sword of Hope 2 and some more RPGs next time!
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Joe Redifer

« Reply #2497 on: September 20, 2015, 02:36:32 PM »
Although it seems to me like you guys slightly messed up the "colour" palette for Super Mario Land, Kirby 1 and Kirby 2 slightly - these parts of the video look like white was swapped with light grey. 

We didn't mess it up, the Gameboy Player messed it up. I couldn't do much on my end to make it look better though I did brighten it up.

technozombie

« Reply #2498 on: September 20, 2015, 05:14:58 PM »
Joe I'm torn about whether I should go to retropalooza. I wished there was no football game that weekend. The hotel rooms are through the roof or booked. Anyways if I don't get to go here is my panel question: What made you go to weekly episodes and what new challenges do you face doing it more frequently?

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #2499 on: September 20, 2015, 07:37:32 PM »
The GameBoy Player is able to use the same button combinations for GB colour palette changing at startup as the GBC and GBA. As far as I remember, I never experienced such issues with all of these three handhelds/devices when playing these games.
I think holding Left+B at startup gives you a simple white-light grey-dark grey-black palette in the correct order  to somewhat mimic the original GB.

But I know the default color palette for Kirby 1 on GBC/GBA/GBP was rather irritating garish and inverted, though it is not the palette seen in the video.

Kirby 2 has some pretty nice color effects in the select world screen when played on the SGB, where it also has a custom border.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 07:47:38 PM by ClodBuster »

I said no, no, no

NightWolve

« Reply #2500 on: September 21, 2015, 11:12:01 AM »
Joe I'm torn about whether I should go to retropalooza. I wished there was no football game that weekend. The hotel rooms are through the roof or booked.

http://retropalooza.com/

Oh, I see, it's coincidental that I shared that old video again right about when the event occurs annually. I was gonna tell you that was Joe's video from last year, I didn't know the event is about to occur again on the 26th-27th. By the looks of it, Game Sack will be there again this year then ?

EDIT: Yeah, Sack presence confirmed.

http://retropalooza.com/panels/

11:00 A.M. - 12:00 P.M.
ROOM A
Game Sack

Talk to the Sack. Dave and Joe will be on-hand for general chit chat. Ask whatever you want and all that kind of stuff. Just be sure to be there.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 11:16:55 AM by NightWolve »

captain_n77

« Reply #2501 on: September 22, 2015, 06:58:49 PM »
The Gameboy episode was fantastic. I'm not a huge GB fan, but as was said earlier, the episode was so good the time just flew by. I always get giddy every Saturday now, as opposed to every other Saturday, waiting to see the next Sack episode
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe"

Joe Redifer

« Reply #2502 on: September 24, 2015, 07:01:45 PM »

But I know the default color palette for Kirby 1 on GBC/GBA/GBP was rather irritating garish and inverted, though it is not the palette seen in the video.

Yeah it is, it's just desaturated. I'm not sure why the GBA and related players don't just default to black and white for normal GameBoy games. I never understood that. That's how they look their best!

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #2503 on: September 24, 2015, 10:33:32 PM »
Maybe it's the same reasoning behind having 4:3 content blown up to 16:9 - people arguing "I bought a color display handheld, so I want even monochrome games being colored by default".

The Super GameBoy had some nice default color palletes built in, e.g. try Tetris and Super Mario Land once if you like to.

However, I agree with you about what the monochrome games look best. For my taste, the monochrome pallete of the GBC/GBA/GBP has a bit too much contrast for my taste, so light grey and dark grey look too much alike white and black. I'd have welcomed a more softer palette or even one that's emulating the yellowish look of the original GameBoy.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 10:37:47 PM by ClodBuster »

I said no, no, no

EvilEvoIX

« Reply #2504 on: September 25, 2015, 03:29:26 AM »
I really liked learning that the Super Game Boy II actually plays games at the proper speed Vs the original unit.  I wonder if it is worth searching out a Super Game Boy II to get it for that reason.

Quote from: ProfessorProfessorson
I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.