Author Topic: Game Sack  (Read 72850 times)

IvanBeavkov

Re: Game Sack
« Reply #2505 on: September 25, 2015, 06:33:35 AM »
I really liked learning that the Super Game Boy II actually plays games at the proper speed Vs the original unit.  I wonder if it is worth searching out a Super Game Boy II to get it for that reason.

You can install a new clock crystal to make the Super Game Boy run at the correct speed. See here for instructions.

http://soundofsilver.co.uk/blog/2015/02/super-gameboy-speed-fix/

NightWolve

« Reply #2506 on: September 26, 2015, 03:15:32 PM »

So did anybody here make it out to Retropalooza BTW ? I know a few people made it out last year.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 09:51:57 AM by NightWolve »

TR0N

« Reply #2507 on: September 26, 2015, 09:18:22 PM »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Bloufo

« Reply #2508 on: September 30, 2015, 11:39:46 PM »
Great episode. I've never even heard of most of those.

ccovell

« Reply #2509 on: October 01, 2015, 12:19:33 AM »
I love the sideways head tilt bit, 'cause I admit I've done that sometimes.

esteban

« Reply #2510 on: October 01, 2015, 12:37:06 AM »
I perform spastic ballet @arcade cabinet.
  |    | 

Bonknuts

« Reply #2511 on: October 02, 2015, 06:39:25 AM »
The Trio Punch game uses a huc6280 processor (pce processor). The game could be hacked to run on the PCE if you hooked the graphic routines and converted them for PCE's video chip. From the looks of it, it seems fairly simple in what it's doing. The devil's in the details though.

NightWolve

« Reply #2512 on: October 02, 2015, 06:50:18 AM »
Huh, so how many other arcades was Hudson's huc6280 CPU used in ?

Bloufo

« Reply #2513 on: October 03, 2015, 07:40:59 PM »

Gentlegamer

« Reply #2514 on: October 03, 2015, 08:26:20 PM »

NightWolve

« Reply #2515 on: October 03, 2015, 08:32:20 PM »
Saw it, yeah. ;) Somebody posted about Ys IV in the comments section, but the fact is, it was already covered in that general Ys special episode. This does look like a good idea for a recurring theme like Left in Japan/Arcades though since there are so many fan translations.

shawnji

« Reply #2516 on: October 04, 2015, 11:26:15 AM »
I'm trying to think of some of the translation patches I've played that aren't mainstream, but nothing's really coming to mind...  it's all just SNES RPGs like Bahamut Lagoon, Tales of Phantasia, Live a Live, Seiken Densetsu 3, and Star Ocean.  Actually, come to think of it, I have a vague memory of playing a translated Love Hina game for the GBA.  Wow... Love Hina... that's been ages ago.  Funny that I've since come to hate shows like that.

Gentlegamer

« Reply #2517 on: October 04, 2015, 02:56:40 PM »
The first fan translated game I ever played was Final Fantasy V, followed by Final Fantasy IV by the J2e team.

NightWolve

« Reply #2518 on: October 04, 2015, 04:01:20 PM »
Yeah, "Final Fantasy V" was the first patch I had the motivation to really sit down, learn how to apply it to the ROM and fire it up on the ZSNES emulator. Heh, I still remember how "cool" I thought it was when zsKnight, one of the emulator creators, had answered me back over email on tech questions/comments and what not. My more dopey past, it was another time, another place. ;)

Anyway, I had beat to FFV to play catch up in the Final Fantasy series, after all, this was the point where you were learning about all the untranslated games that got left behind in Japan, how FFII was the 4th sequel starting on SNES, and how you missed out on 2 NES prior sequels, etc. These sorts of things led me to pursuing fan translation projects of my own, along with meeting Neill Corlett who was the top hacker for "Seiken Densetsu 3," "Bahamut Lagoon" and some others.

I did try the "Seiken Densetsu 3" patch too but I couldn't get into an RPG flow at the time actually, I dunno. So only played it to the intro. :/ Something better that caught my attention though was learning about what the UK got, but we didn't, and that was Quintet's Terranigma! All you needed was the ROM and emulator, it was professionally localized to UK English! Truly a great privilege and honor to have gotten to enjoy another masterpiece in the "Soul Blazer" and "Illusion of Gaia" saga! For sure!

Next up was "Ys IV: Mask of the Sun" also for the SNES, and here I can definitely say I gave up after getting a bit stuck half way, but being so bored out by the script, I just no longer cared to resume the thing and figure it out, plus I found it an offensive counterpart to the REAL Ys IV sequel, "Dawn of Ys" for PC Engine CD! :)

That's a bit of my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Oh and uh, GameSack4ever, brutha!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 04:42:45 PM by NightWolve »

Gentlegamer

« Reply #2519 on: October 04, 2015, 04:39:11 PM »
Yeah, "Final Fantasy V" was the first patch I had the motivation to really sit down, learn how to apply it to the ROM and fire it up on the ZSNES emulator. Heh, I still remember how "cool" I thought it was when zsKnight, one of the emulator creators, had answered me back over email on tech questions/comments and what not. My more dopey past, it was another time, another place. ;)

Anyway, I had beat to FFV to play catch up in the Final Fantasy series, after all, this was the point where you were learning about all the untranslated games that got left behind in Japan, how FFII was the 4th sequel starting on SNES, and how you missed out on 2 NES prior sequels, etc. These sorts of things led me to pursuing fan translation projects of my own, along with meeting Neill Corlett who was the top hacker for "Seiken Densetsu 3," "Bahamut Lagoon" and some others.

My story is similar, though in 99 when I first came upon them, the FFV and other translated ROMs had been already patched and distributed. Remember the wild west before ROM naming conventions were formalized?

Another late 90s emulation memory is coming back... I remember having to download a single Neo Geo game all night over a 56k connection.