Author Topic: Game Sack  (Read 72131 times)

Mzo

Re: Game Sack
« Reply #2520 on: October 04, 2015, 05:06:52 PM »
Great episode, as always.

Super happy they showed Cocoron.  Takeru was formed by ex-Capcom employees (the Strider arcade guy and Akira Kitamura, the real guy behind Mega Man 1 and 2) and it really shows in the gameplay and design.  Their next game would be Little Samson, which is also excellent but bullshit expensive these days.

GohanX

« Reply #2521 on: October 05, 2015, 03:23:10 AM »
No Mzo, Inafune is god of the Megamanz!

Joe Redifer

« Reply #2522 on: October 09, 2015, 09:12:37 PM »
I really want to try that SNES Ys V translation patch. I can't recall my own Ys episode if the PS2 version was patched or not. Like I'd ever watch that hack of a show, the hosts are just awful. But anyway the SNES version is supposedly the "official cannon" version of the game so the next time we visit this topic that's one I'd like to try. There's soooooo much translated stuff on the SNES and NES. That's good and all but I wish there were more on other systems. We try to cover that stuff and we get "Why no Mother 3???" Who gives a shit? I mean I want to cover it just to get it out of the way but we don't have that one and there's no GBA Everdrive yet. Neither of us really wanna buy a repro of it. I'd rather talk about games like King Colossus or some other game that the entire internet doesn't already know about. Though sometimes we do cover those types of games to placate the masses.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 09:15:02 PM by Joe Redifer »

elmer

« Reply #2523 on: October 09, 2015, 09:31:06 PM »
There's soooooo much translated stuff on the SNES and NES. That's good and all but I wish there were more on other systems. ... I'd rather talk about games like King Colossus or some other game that the entire internet doesn't already know about.

Errr ... Errr ... Errr ... So after your entire GameSack episode complaining about not being able to understand anything on the PC-FX, and then SamIAm and I get Zeroigar translated, and it hits your bullet-points, and ... ... ... nothing???

Just too obscure, I guess.  :?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 09:32:40 PM by elmer »

SamIAm

« Reply #2524 on: October 09, 2015, 10:09:24 PM »
I believe that the PC-FX system that they used for that episode was loaned to them.

Hey Joe, if you ever want a PC-FX for "Fan Translations 2", holla. I have five spares in my house. That's right, five.

esteban

« Reply #2525 on: October 10, 2015, 12:35:29 AM »

I really want to try that SNES Ys V translation patch. I can't recall my own Ys episode if the PS2 version was patched or not. Like I'd ever watch that hack of a show, the hosts are just awful. But anyway the SNES version is supposedly the "official cannon" version of the game so the next time we visit this topic that's one I'd like to try. There's soooooo much translated stuff on the SNES and NES. That's good and all but I wish there were more on other systems. We try to cover that stuff and we get "Why no Mother 3???" Who gives a shit? I mean I want to cover it just to get it out of the way but we don't have that one and there's no GBA Everdrive yet. Neither of us really wanna buy a repro of it. I'd rather talk about games like King Colossus or some other game that the entire internet doesn't already know about. Though sometimes we do cover those types of games to placate the masses.

Your show is great at balancing popular/trendy franchises with lesser-known/fallen-out-of-favor/__________ titles. This is to the benefit of all.

I am not the typical viewer, but I imagine that many viewers learn about many games from your show.

GAMESACK — We are not the Top 40

GAMESACK (UK) — We are not Top of the Pops

GAMESACK (NJ) — Mother 3? Mother-f*cking hipsters.

If anything, I want GAMESACK  to go waaaaaay more niche and obscure, but understand that my peculiar interests are probably not shared by the GAMESACK audience... :)

Anyway, I always learn something from GAMESACK, especially because my knowledge of PS1 and beyond is weak :)

|    | 

shawnji

« Reply #2526 on: October 10, 2015, 03:40:19 AM »
I'm going to echo NightWolve on Terranigma.  Fantastic game that we sadly missed out on in the US.  Illusion of Gaia was one of my absolute favorite games.  I still have an old VHS tape somewhere with a recording of me playing through the whole thing and getting all 50 gems to beat an old foe from Soul Blazer.  I love, love, love that game.  It's what got me to actually research the Nazca Lines and Angkor Vat.  Those are both bucket list places for me to visit.

Actually, now that I think about it, there's a game on the PS1 from the guys at Quintet after they left Enix called The Granstream Saga, and it was also pretty fun.  That'd be an interesting one for you guys to cover in an episode.  I had fun with it, but sold it sometime in '98 or '99.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 03:44:48 AM by shawnji »

Dicer

« Reply #2527 on: October 10, 2015, 09:18:40 AM »
I believe that the PC-FX system that they used for that episode was loaned to them.

Hey Joe, if you ever want a PC-FX for "Fan Translations 2", holla. I have five spares in my house. That's right, five.

I want one, because well, I want one...

esteban

« Reply #2528 on: October 10, 2015, 11:16:12 AM »

I'm going to echo NightWolve on Terranigma.  Fantastic game that we sadly missed out on in the US.  Illusion of Gaia was one of my absolute favorite games.  I still have an old VHS tape somewhere with a recording of me playing through the whole thing and getting all 50 gems to beat an old foe from Soul Blazer.  I love, love, love that game.  It's what got me to actually research the Nazca Lines and Angkor Vat.  Those are both bucket list places for me to visit.

Actually, now that I think about it, there's a game on the PS1 from the guys at Quintet after they left Enix called The Granstream Saga, and it was also pretty fun.  That'd be an interesting one for you guys to cover in an episode.  I had fun with it, but sold it sometime in '98 or '99.

Xevious = my Nazca intrigue. :)
  |    | 

Bloufo

« Reply #2529 on: October 10, 2015, 07:40:45 PM »

MrBroadway

« Reply #2530 on: October 10, 2015, 08:20:12 PM »
"longer and harder" - more dick puns, please!

Also, Joe, is it just me or have you (instead of Dave) done more and more Nintendo games over the past few years. I was surprised seeing you cover all the Famicom games and Terranigma, too.

Anyway, cool video.

Other games I would have liked to see are Gleylancer, Alien Soldier, the Master System Sonic games, Recca, and a crap ton of PC Engine games!

TR0N

« Reply #2531 on: October 10, 2015, 08:34:23 PM »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

shawnji

« Reply #2532 on: October 11, 2015, 02:48:18 AM »
Ha!  Very nice to see Terranigma covered right after talking so much about it.  A happy coincidence indeed.

I have to agree with the font.  It was definitely a turn-off for me initially when I first started to play as well.  It's odd, but I never had the same complaint with Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia, despite them using a similar font.  I guess I need to go back and look at them again.

Y'know, I know it seems completely non-tangential, but I was just thinking that I'd like to see you cover some of the better Sony Imagesoft games on the SNES.  Soul Blazer got me thinking about Skyblazer, and then I remembered Hook as well.  They aren't fantastic games, but a lot of fun to play through.  Hook is particularly interesting, considering it was a licensed movie tie-in.  I don't know, maybe most people hate it, but I genuinely have a lot of fun with it every time I play through it (which only takes an hour or so if you're familiar with everything).

MattJ

« Reply #2533 on: October 12, 2015, 03:08:51 AM »
Very enjoyable episode Joe!

I second o.pwuaioc comment on the Sonic Master System games that were PAL only. I basically bought my first Master System just so I could play some of those. I think you may have covered Master of Darkness in an earlier episode, but that's great one to be pointed out. There were several quality Disney games too. We only got the Game Gear versions, but I enjoyed them. They're not like a the Capcom-produced Disney games for the NES and have a more puzzle-like feel instead of being a straightforward action platformer. I like the change of pace and variety that brings: 
- Donald Duck's Lucky Dime Caper
- Deep Duck Trouble starring Donald Duck
- Castle of Illusion
- Land of Illusion

The Asterix series is great, and I like the Ninja Gaiden SMS game, because it is completely different from the NES versions.

MrBroadway

« Reply #2534 on: October 12, 2015, 03:28:21 AM »
I second o.pwuaioc comment on the Sonic Master System games that were PAL only.
Thinking about it now, a whole episode could be devoted to MS PAL games.