Author Topic: Game Sack  (Read 72343 times)

MattJ

Re: Game Sack
« Reply #2535 on: October 12, 2015, 03:45:59 AM »
I second o.pwuaioc comment on the Sonic Master System games that were PAL only.
Thinking about it now, a whole episode could be devoted to MS PAL games.

That would be an awesome episode!!  :clap:

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #2536 on: October 12, 2015, 06:36:40 AM »
When I got my hands on Terranigma in 1997, I was O.K. with the font used, both style as well as size wise.  Since I had just a tiny TV back then, this made the text easier too read. But even today I prefer large fonts over those puny fonts used in today's games. Skyrim, Forza 4 and the unpatched version of Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts are premier examples of bad font design where you need a magnifying glass for reading the text even when sitting right in front of a 32" HDTV screen.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

NightWolve

« Reply #2537 on: October 15, 2015, 02:45:55 PM »

Bonknuts

« Reply #2538 on: October 15, 2015, 08:17:08 PM »
W h e n  I  g o t   m y   h a n d s   o n   T e r r a n i g m a   i n   1 9 9 7 ,   I   w a s   O . K .   w i t h   t h e  f o n t  u s e d ,   b o t h   s t y l e   a s   w e l l   a s   s i z e   w i s e .     S i n c e   I   h a d   j u s t   a   t i n y   T V  b a c k   t h e n ,   t h i s   m a d e   t h e   t e x t   e a s i e r   t o o   r e a d .   B u t   e v e n   t o d a y  I  p  r e f e r   l a r g e   f o n t s   o v e r   t h o s e   p u n y   f o n t s   u s e d   i n   t o d a y ' s   g a m e s .  S  k y r i m ,  F o r z a   4   a n d   t h e   u n p a t c h e d   v e r s i o n   o f   B a n j o - K a z o o i e   N u t s  a n d  B o l t s   a r e   p r e m i e r   e x a m p l e s   o f   b a d   f o n t   d e s i g n   w h e r e   y o u   n e e d  a  m a g n i f y i n g  g l a s s   f o r   r e a d i n g   t h e   t e x t   e v e n   w h e n   s i t t i n g   r i g h t   i n   f r o n t  o f   a  3 2 "  H D T V  s c r e e n.
There. T e r r a n i g m a i s e d your post for you. :)

Seriously, the problem with that game isn't the font or size, it's the spacing between the characters.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #2539 on: October 15, 2015, 09:12:23 PM »
Must have been lots of work on the space bar for you. Now that's dedication! Many thanks, got it!

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

NightWolve

« Reply #2540 on: October 15, 2015, 09:27:57 PM »
Lot of work to make a point about its font. :)

elmer

« Reply #2541 on: October 16, 2015, 08:08:38 AM »

Hahaha ... so Bonknuts ... keystroke-macro or regexp (or even "sed" if you're a Linux guy)?

Gredler

« Reply #2542 on: October 16, 2015, 02:00:14 PM »

TR0N

« Reply #2543 on: October 17, 2015, 08:40:03 PM »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

shawnji

« Reply #2544 on: October 18, 2015, 02:07:44 AM »
I was actually surprised to see Joe gush so much over Mario after giving the Sonic games such a hard time.  I mean, I shouldn't have been, considering all the 3D Mario titles are much, much, much better. 

Still, I have to confess that I'm a fan of both Sonic Adventure titles.  I had the first one on the Dreamcast, but only ever had the demo of the second that came with Phantasy Star Online up until I bought the recent HD remaster of it on PSN.  I had actually rented it for the Gamecube once, but for some reason, as soon as the Tails mech stages were forced on me I was completely turned off.  I don't remember what year it was that the remaster came out, but I got 100% of the trophies and recall being surprised at what a blast I had with it.  Granted, I also somewhat enjoyed Sonic 4: Episodes 1 and 2, so what do I know?

I'll also say that I found Generations to be a FANTASTIC return to form.  I highly recommend you at least give it a whirl, Joe.

I also was surprised to see so many mainstream games in this episode.  Rayman 2 and Maximo were nice to see, but when I initially saw the episode title I thought I'd probably be seeing stuff like Gex, Croc, or the Banjo games.  I guess that'll have to be for another episode.

While I don't personally think of them as platformers (the first is most decidely not), you guys REALLY need to talk about the Legacy of Kain series.  It had some of the most engaging writing I had heard back in the late 90's.  That's also despite the fact that I typically shunned most games developed in the west back in my late teens and early 20's.  These managed to be an exception for me.  I mainly just like the first few games (though the load times in the original on PS1 are horrid), but I hear the others are okay.

Bonknuts

« Reply #2545 on: October 19, 2015, 06:20:25 AM »

Hahaha ... so Bonknuts ... keystroke-macro or regexp (or even "sed" if you're a Linux guy)?
Manually. (*/ flexes fingers */)

gekioh

« Reply #2546 on: October 19, 2015, 07:24:42 AM »
Getting to meet Joe and Dave was pretty rad. Thanks Game Sack for coming to PRGE this year and I really hope you guys come back again next year.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #2547 on: October 19, 2015, 07:43:32 AM »
Getting to meet Joe and Dave was pretty rad. Thanks Game Sack for coming to PRGE this year and I really hope you guys come back again next year.

Shoot, if I had known you were there too we could have met up. :) I got a good picture with them too and got some questions in (could have killed Joe for calling me Dark Kobold lol) during the Q&A. Unbelievable how fast it went and how many people were losing their voices from talking so much during the convention. Here's me and my buddy that I haven't seen in 14 years. 

forum image hosting
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 07:49:30 AM by BigusSchmuck »

gekioh

« Reply #2548 on: October 19, 2015, 08:16:19 AM »
Well shoot yeah that would have been rad to get a PCEFX group photo. Oh well always next year. Are you local to Portland area BigusSchmuck? Ha ha did he call you Dark Kobold on purpose or is there a running joke behind that im not aware of?

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #2549 on: October 19, 2015, 08:26:52 AM »
Well shoot yeah that would have been rad to get a PCEFX group photo. Oh well always next year. Are you local to Portland area BigusSchmuck? Ha ha did he call you Dark Kobold on purpose or is there a running joke behind that im not aware of?
Yeah there is some history between me and Darky (rather not open old wounds). I'm not local to the area, I live in rural eastern Oregon about 5 hours away from Portland. Anyway, I'll post some pictures and my thoughts on the thread I created about the convention. BTW,last episode rocked my wife loved it. Thanks again guys for posting quality stuff.