Author Topic: Game Sack  (Read 72703 times)

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
Re: Game Sack
« Reply #2730 on: January 05, 2016, 07:30:07 AM »
I got a PS3 last year that is used more as a Blu-ray player than to play games. I watched some BD films that I saw on DVD before (e.g. Scott Pilgrim, Jurassic Park) or in the movie theater (Jurassic World, Scott Pilgrim), and I've got to admit, all the fine details are so much better visible than on DVD. Although, the Jurassic Park BD (at least the non-3D version I own) has some noticeable film grain. I don't know if this is always the case with movies shot before the digital video era dawned, or if this depends on source material and the post production for the BD transfer.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

Desh

« Reply #2731 on: January 05, 2016, 09:52:04 AM »
You joke, but I would buy an HD DVD version.  I have yet to purchase a means to play Bluray.  I have never felt the need as there aren't too many newer movies that I feel are good enough to purchase.  Even when there is a good movie, I deal with the ultra grainy and totally unacceptable visuals of DVD.

I'm in the same boat.

I think I have more Laserdiscs than I do DVD. No Blu-Ray yet (or in the foreseeable future) but I do have an HD-DVD player and a couple dozen films for it.

Yeah, the only reason I have HD DVD is because cheap.  I grabbed an HD DVD player for XBOX 360 CIB for like $20 a couple of years ago and have been buying up HD DVD ' S locally for 50 cents to $2.

roflmao

« Reply #2732 on: January 05, 2016, 11:06:56 AM »
Yeah, the only reason I have HD DVD is because cheap.  I grabbed an HD DVD player for XBOX 360 CIB for like $20 a couple of years ago and have been buying up HD DVD ' S locally for 50 cents to $2.

Me too!

Joe Redifer

« Reply #2733 on: January 06, 2016, 06:40:12 PM »
Although, the Jurassic Park BD (at least the non-3D version I own) has some noticeable film grain.

Film grain is inevitable when a movie is shot on film. I'd rather have film grain than a method which smears out the grain (like the early Predator Blu-ray release). People seem to think film grain is a bad thing... likely because they don't understand it. Blu-ray is about resolution, not lack of grain. Though way too many movies do try to de-noise the grain and that makes the movie look much less detailed as a result. Some movies are just grainy whereas others are not. It's all about film stock. Ghostbusters, for example, is SUPER grainy. Especially if you were to watch the 70mm film version of it. Don't fear film grain. Instead, fear compression artifacts. Fear the digital sharpening that many movies add to the visuals which add "halos" around higher contrast areas to make it appear sharper (but again, losing detail in the process). The f*cking home audience seems to demand this bullshit and it ruins it for everybody but they don't know that they are ruing it because they don't know any better.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #2734 on: January 06, 2016, 10:41:03 PM »
Thanks Joe for your detailed reply!

I said no, no, no

Bonknuts

« Reply #2735 on: January 07, 2016, 04:51:22 AM »
People seem to think film grain is a bad thing

I love the look of film grain. So much so, that in VLC player I enable it (yeah it's fake, but at 1080p res it's decent. I dial it back so it's just slightly there).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 04:52:58 AM by Bonknuts »

esteban

« Reply #2736 on: January 07, 2016, 10:41:55 AM »

Although, the Jurassic Park BD (at least the non-3D version I own) has some noticeable film grain.

Film grain is inevitable when a movie is shot on film. I'd rather have film grain than a method which smears out the grain (like the early Predator Blu-ray release). People seem to think film grain is a bad thing... likely because they don't understand it. Blu-ray is about resolution, not lack of grain. Though way too many movies do try to de-noise the grain and that makes the movie look much less detailed as a result. Some movies are just grainy whereas others are not. It's all about film stock. Ghostbusters, for example, is SUPER grainy. Especially if you were to watch the 70mm film version of it. Don't fear film grain. Instead, fear compression artifacts. Fear the digital sharpening that many movies add to the visuals which add "halos" around higher contrast areas to make it appear sharper (but again, losing detail in the process). The f*cking home audience seems to demand this bullshit and it ruins it for everybody but they don't know that they are ruing it because they don't know any better.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who enjoys grain alcohol whilst watching films.

|    | 

gheebee

« Reply #2737 on: January 07, 2016, 10:54:33 AM »
Just thought I'd say congratulations on both the BD release and for not making the same mistakes that some indie and/or online content producers have made when going to home video, namely using crappy, “MOD” media (BD-R, DVD-R, usually while referring to their product as a “BD” or a “DVD”...) and/or releasing only on DVD (or DVD-R...) when most of people who might buy it have already seen it in HD. Well done!
I very rarely watch extras but I watched the entire disc in one sitting shortly after it arrived the other day too.

ActionJackson

« Reply #2738 on: January 07, 2016, 02:46:58 PM »
Im definitely a fan, have seen every episode a few times by now.  Found this forum whilst looking for a duo and had no idea Joe was affiliated with it.  The only reason I was looking for a duo in the first place was because of Game Sack and realizing how many awesome games I missed out on.  Really cool surprise to see his name on the mod list.  Looking forward to picking up the bluray soon.   And if Dave is here that's super cool too, but hes probably busy with his Nintendo forum.  Keep up the good work! 

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #2739 on: January 09, 2016, 12:10:46 AM »
Joe I just want to let you know that I had somebody ordered the Blu-ray last night. Guess what I'll be getting for birthday.

I said no, no, no

TR0N

« Reply #2740 on: January 09, 2016, 08:30:25 PM »
Whatca gonna do brother !!!

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

toymachine78

« Reply #2741 on: January 10, 2016, 12:41:48 AM »
SUPER HUGE SLIM JIM!!!!!!!

technozombie

« Reply #2742 on: January 10, 2016, 02:14:05 AM »
I'm with Joe on this one. Wrestling games have never interested me.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #2743 on: January 10, 2016, 04:02:07 AM »
I watched wrestling shows regularly in the WWF Attitude era.

I know from back in the day that I was horribly bad in WCW/NWO Revenge's multiplayer mode against friends, since I had no idea how to pull off special moves. Apparently, they needed to have me as their punching ball, since they didn't tell me how to play the game. Now if you've got friends like these, you don't need foes, I guess.
But then, they were always complaining when I cleared all of them off the screen in Mario Kart 64's battle mode. I guess, that makes it even.

The first time I was more seriously into wrestling games was when a friend introduced me into the Smackdown Vs RAW games on PlayStation 2. At that time, I began to restart interest in watching the shows again. The games were fun, but the default control scheme put me off.

Later on, I got Smackdown Vs RAW 2010 for the Xbox 360, and now that is what I'd call my favourite wrestling game so far. The controls are spot on and easy to learn: Moving is done with the left analog stick (why oh why did it took so long for the develops to make this default instead of using the D-pad?), grappling with the right stick doesn't get old, the button configuration is well thought, and countering is as good as you're able to react.
What I've a lot of fun with aside from playing wrestling matches is the Create-A-Wrestler editor mode. I re-created the Mario Bros. from the Super Mario Bros. Super Show (Lou Albano was a wrestler anyway), Duke Nukem, Arnold Schwarzenegger as the Terminator, The Ram from The Wrestler movie, Simon Belmont, the Angry Videogame Nerd, Solid Snake, and some more. Including custom stage introductions with the music for each character.

If you're interested in seeing them, I think I could hook up my console to a cheap videograbber and record some footage.

I said no, no, no

EvilEvoIX

« Reply #2744 on: January 10, 2016, 05:01:20 AM »
Great episode of course I just wished you covered 3 COUNT BOUT for the Neo geo AES.  That game is cheap for the AES anyway so why not right?

Quote from: ProfessorProfessorson
I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.