Author Topic: Game Sack  (Read 72252 times)

Bonknuts

Re: Game Sack
« Reply #2910 on: June 13, 2016, 05:57:13 AM »
But when you go from some poor 8bit Nes stuff (granted some is good) to a full featured redbook cd-audio it's really hard to go back.
I felt this way back in the day, including when CD games would use chiptunes for most of the music.

Times have changed and I've learned to appreciate those old chiptunes again, with nes right along side CD red book stuffs.

There are even some nice stereo mod hacks of NES sound tracks. I would love it if someone would have an audio upgrade for the NES, and have the options for stereo separation, reverb (not snes style), bass enhancement, etc. Same for PCE as well (add a choice for filtering on the waveforms, bass boost, etc).

Black Tiger

« Reply #2911 on: June 13, 2016, 06:45:56 AM »
Even good chiptunes with poor sound are great.

The only kind that age poorly for me are SNES-style sample based sound. Even some of the sample shifting mixed into early Neo Geo games can bring down the music when it gets derpy.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Sarumaru

• I hate you all.
    • FX Unit Yuki Official Website
« Reply #2912 on: June 13, 2016, 10:48:12 AM »
This was a great episode. I hope there are many more of these awesome music eps. I liked the inclusion of GoT & LoT (of course)- Made my nips hard.
:yuki: "Go forth, FX-Unit Yuki!" http://www.fxunityuki.com
            Available NOW for the PC Engine and Dreamcast!

esteban

« Reply #2913 on: June 13, 2016, 11:42:44 PM »
This was a great episode. I hope there are many more of these awesome music eps. I liked the inclusion of GoT & LoT (of course)- Made my nips hard.

Game Sack.
Hard Nipples.
Stephen Baldwin.
For.
The.
Win.
Dirty.
Blonde.
Hairy.
Areola.
Game.
Sack.
  |    | 

nopepper

« Reply #2914 on: June 15, 2016, 05:50:20 PM »
Such a great episode; I agree with pretty much every selection (except Ecco...). I was especially impressed with the inclusion of Thunder Force II. Although I still feel Thunder Force III has the best soundtrack in the series, the second one doesn't get a lot of love, so it's definitely appreciated you guys giving it a spotlight.

I also agree that it's very hard to pick favorite tunes in Lords of Thunder, as they are all so good. It is one of the most consistently strong soundtracks of any game ever.

Speaking of consistently strong soundtracks, I think I've heard you guys use some tunes from Virtual On in some of your past episodes, so I would be so happy if you include it in a future part of this series. It's such a great, catchy soundtrack, with a good set of 7-8 tunes that are all of equal quality. It's also one of those games I was never really ever to get into, but still played it (both in the Saturn and my cd player) just for the tunes!

Again, great episode, like pretty much all of your episodes. Thank you for doing such high quality work!

Enternal

« Reply #2915 on: June 18, 2016, 06:20:54 AM »
Great Episode, I am curious if they were limiting themselves to 8 and 16 bit consoles though?

I mean, most of the games that were cd based in this generation had incredible music I thought. But when you go from some poor 8bit Nes stuff (granted some is good) to a full featured redbook cd-audio it's really hard to go back.

But then I just end right back at Ys 1&2 because this is one of the first games on CD I ever heard and I was immediately blown away until I heard Gate of Thunder that also came with my TurboDuo. I really couldn't get enough of either one of them at the time.

You just need the right guy doing the music

Give him something like this.

Expect this game to have a cute whimsical opening.

No, Follin don't care, he'll set the atmosphere to awesome and give you this.

Even when you go 1-bit. Follin don't care, he don't give a shit about limitations.

And when a game is cancelled by the publisher. Follin don't care, it doesn't stop his music
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 07:55:19 AM by Enternal »

EvilEvoIX

« Reply #2916 on: June 18, 2016, 09:36:48 AM »
VERY Impressed with the Sega Genesis Version of Gauntlet 4.  I have to get that game.

Quote from: ProfessorProfessorson
I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.

Speedy

« Reply #2917 on: June 18, 2016, 01:51:34 PM »
You just need the right guy doing the music

Glad to see someone mention Tim Follin, the dude is absolutely godly. Has he ever made a bad soundtrack? I don't think so.

ccovell

« Reply #2918 on: June 21, 2016, 10:44:28 AM »
Hitoshi Sakimoto's Gauntlet IV music is some of the best tunage ever!  À propos: guy who made Gauntlet III's music?  Tim Follin.

jtucci31

« Reply #2919 on: June 25, 2016, 09:53:15 PM »

Beat ya Tron

Black Tiger

« Reply #2920 on: June 26, 2016, 07:16:19 AM »
I've never heard anything by Tim Follin that I've liked. He's good at manipulating sounds, but it's all beat-based European style music that feels so out of place in most games and I'm is not within my taste in general. There is some European game music that I like, but all of Follin's stuff is the sound equivalent of the visuals in one of those demo scene tech demos. I still find it impressive, but I'm more impressed by great compositions with poor sound usage.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

ccovell

« Reply #2921 on: June 26, 2016, 01:05:30 PM »
He's good at manipulating sounds, but it's all beat-based European style music...

I really disagree.  Most of his stuff has unusual or varied time signatures because he's heavily inspired by classic and progressive rock, NOT the Eurovision song winners of whatever year.

esteban

« Reply #2922 on: June 26, 2016, 02:11:16 PM »
I've never heard anything by Tim Follin that I've liked. He's good at manipulating sounds, but it's all beat-based European style music that feels so out of place in most games and I'm is not within my taste in general. There is some European game music that I like, but all of Follin's stuff is the sound equivalent of the visuals in one of those demo scene tech demos. I still find it impressive, but I'm more impressed by great compositions with poor sound usage.

Officially crazy = Black_Tiger

You may not like his stuff, but to say that they are not "great compositions" are fighting words.

:)

Seriously.

I find it hilarious when folks try to dismiss entire swaths of utterly fantastic music by merely labeling it "European", whilst having an orgasm over equally banal tripe from a Japanese or American composer.

The Terminator (Sega CD) = BUTT ROCK (Tallarico)
Final Fantasy VII = lame, just like the tunes from the entire series.

:)
  |    | 

Joe Redifer

« Reply #2923 on: June 26, 2016, 05:30:30 PM »
Butt Rock came in the mid-to-late 90's. Terminator CD was much too early to be proper Butt Rock. Of course there's no official definition of what Butt Rock actually is I don't think.

wildfruit

« Reply #2924 on: June 26, 2016, 06:59:46 PM »
I tell you who also did great music, still does, David Wise.