Author Topic: Game Sack  (Read 72617 times)

seieienbu

Re: Game Sack
« Reply #2940 on: June 30, 2016, 05:19:41 PM »
Wait, people are actually anti-arpegio?  Are they modernistic 12 tone bastards that don't understand classical composition and instead choose ear-grating garbage?
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Joe Redifer

« Reply #2941 on: June 30, 2016, 07:32:56 PM »
I wouldn't say  that I fall into the anti-arpegio camp, but I feel that they can be overused very easily. On ancient videogame hardware it can create kind of a displeasing sound when every note is arped. The Flash for the Master System jumps to mind. I don't remember the music specifically, but I remember not liking it at all. Arping sounds better on medium and lower notes than it does high notes, that's for sure. Systems like the Master System can't do many low notes. Stuff like Golvellius sounds tons better than stuff like The Flash.

Bonknuts

« Reply #2942 on: July 02, 2016, 05:52:29 AM »
In general, I dislike Arps. It's overuse in most 8bit Euro music for small home computers and SMS, it's super grating on the ear - no good. Like Joe said, there are some exceptions. When it isn't in your face "nothing but arps", then it's ok. And to be honest, outside of modern chiptunes emulating that old style, the NES euro musics seem to do it best (that arp usage is more subtle).

Speaking of which. Impossamole sucks for a few reasons, but one of them is the ARP'd out sound track. Frankly, it's a down right disgusting use of the PCE soundchip.

esteban

Game Sack
« Reply #2943 on: July 02, 2016, 06:28:56 AM »
In general, I dislike Arps. It's overuse in most 8bit Euro music for small home computers and SMS, it's super grating on the ear - no good. Like Joe said, there are some exceptions. When it isn't in your face "nothing but arps", then it's ok. And to be honest, outside of modern chiptunes emulating that old style, the NES euro musics seem to do it best (that arp usage is more subtle).

Speaking of which. Impossamole sucks for a few reasons, but one of them is the ARP'd out sound track. Frankly, it's a down right disgusting use of the PCE soundchip.

YOU.

CRAZY. 

:)

The Impossamole soundtrack is fantastic (the main tune, anyway....during the opening cinema, I have to listen to the rest of the stage music and get back to you... :).

And your anti-arp bias has been DULY NOTED. :)

A poor composition is a POOR COMPOSITION, and will remain so with or without arpeggio.

My heart breaks when I think about this topic :(

Every time an arpeggio sings, another angel gets his wings...

—Pliny the Elder
  |    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #2944 on: July 02, 2016, 09:28:51 AM »
I like how Magical Chase and Somer Assault use them.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Joe Redifer

« Reply #2945 on: July 02, 2016, 10:27:24 AM »
I think they sound better on sound chips that are more fuzzy and buzzy like NES and PCE than ones with proper tones like SMS.

Bonknuts

« Reply #2946 on: July 02, 2016, 11:55:40 AM »
Yeah, Magical Chase usage is pretty decent. I like it there. Solstice on the NES has arp usage too (title screen music), and while it's more pronounced - it still sounds decent. 

Edit: I don't heart arps in Some Assault.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 12:04:43 PM by Bonknuts »

ccovell

« Reply #2947 on: July 02, 2016, 11:59:21 AM »
Joe, please define fuzzy, buzzy, and proper, by your reckoning.  Both the NES and SMS have 2 square wave channels which can sound identical.

Bonknuts

« Reply #2948 on: July 02, 2016, 12:06:28 PM »
Joe, please define fuzzy, buzzy, and proper, by your reckoning.  Both the NES and SMS have 2 square wave channels which can sound identical.
Probably because the SMS only has 50% duty cycle, and no triangle waveform. The SMS already sounds harsh/same-y as it is.

Edit: Somer Assault is the kind of PCE chipsound that I don't like. Thin/steel-y leads, coupled fat 50% duty square base. It sounds generic. I dunno.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 12:11:47 PM by Bonknuts »

Black Tiger

« Reply #2949 on: July 02, 2016, 01:51:47 PM »
Somer Assault has one of those soundtracks that I like several tracks from and think the sound works for exactly that. Ninja Spirit is the same, but I don't like the sound in most other Irem PCE HuCards.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #2950 on: July 02, 2016, 05:23:58 PM »

That's the best way I can describe NES and PCE sound. I haven't heard much from the NES that sounds like an SMS and certainly nothing from the SMS that sounds like the NES. Usually the NES sounds warmer with a more textured sound. There's not much to that texture, but it's just what I'd describe as fuzzy/buzzy instead of boopy and beepy.

ccovell

« Reply #2951 on: July 02, 2016, 08:05:18 PM »
OK, I'd call the SMS shrill, because it doesn't have a bassy triangle channel like the NES, and can't go into low octaves.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #2952 on: July 02, 2016, 08:30:45 PM »
The word "shrill" to me means unpleasantly piercing, with the emphasis on "unpleasant". I don't find the SMS sound unpleasant. Well, unless it's something like The Flash.

Black Tiger

« Reply #2953 on: July 03, 2016, 02:42:17 AM »
The word "shrill" to me means unpleasantly piercing, with the emphasis on "unpleasant".

That's a good description of how most chip sound arpeggio feels to me.

esteban

« Reply #2954 on: July 03, 2016, 04:01:35 AM »
I had a nice post and lost it. I hate my life.

Good deeds are not rewarded.

|    |