Author Topic: Game Sack  (Read 72819 times)

Joe Redifer

Re: Game Sack
« Reply #3120 on: March 05, 2017, 05:06:43 PM »
Yes. Everyone with a Youtube channel got one.

Gredler

« Reply #3121 on: March 06, 2017, 06:11:36 AM »

I did not. You are a liar.

Black Tiger

« Reply #3122 on: March 06, 2017, 07:33:29 AM »

I did not. You are a liar.

ur not 133t enuff.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Gredler

« Reply #3123 on: March 06, 2017, 10:05:33 AM »

esadajr

« Reply #3124 on: March 07, 2017, 01:52:22 AM »
Like the AVS, this is how a system should be replicated. I like the possibility of using roms (for running homebrews, etc). Short term it is a niche gizmo, long term, this is the beginning of the future, replicated machines running replicated software.

With time it may be even posible to miniaturize the technology into a cheap but good quality ASIC for the mases.
Gaming since 1985

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #3125 on: March 14, 2017, 06:52:23 AM »
Joe, since I saw you guys got a Patreon, I just signed up today for giving away a dollar per month.
When I was at it, I also decided to do the same for HG101, since I enjoy their podcasts a lot when commuting between home and work.

It might not be that much, but I hope it adds up with other supporters to a good sum for compensating all the dedication and time you put into your great show.

Oh and by the way, I just ordered the Game Sack vol. 2 Blu-ray.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

esadajr

« Reply #3126 on: March 15, 2017, 02:26:04 AM »
I wish the Sack was available on DVD
Gaming since 1985

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #3127 on: March 15, 2017, 03:18:31 AM »
What about getting your hands on
(a) a cheap standalone blu-ray player
(b) a portable blu-ray disc drive/burner for PC
(c) or a used PS3?

I went with options b and c, by the way... my PS3 is a CECH-2504, the last model that still supported HD Blu-ray video playback using component video cables in 1920x1080 resolution. So I could still use older TVs and AV-receivers without HDMI inputs.

I said no, no, no

esadajr

« Reply #3128 on: March 15, 2017, 06:44:55 AM »
I do have all three but decided not to keep supporting BluRay. It is a matter of nostalgia/convenience. DVDs can be played even on a PIII, or for a modern setup anamorfic widescreen looks "good enough" to me. For archival purposes they're easier / cheaper to backup. In a number of cases BluRay releases don't offer a significant visual improvement (The Simpsons for example).

Speaking of DVD technology, I don't remember a NUON inspired GameSack episode.
Gaming since 1985

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #3129 on: March 15, 2017, 08:20:34 AM »
(b) a portable blu-ray disc drive/burner for PC

I went with options b and c, by the way...
I tried a external USB blu-ray drive, but Sack never played well with VLC. Something about needing to be on a list or DB somewhere. My other two Rush blu-rays worked...

I went with option C-2: borrow someones PS3.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #3130 on: March 15, 2017, 09:10:14 PM »
VLC needs some additional files to decrypt commercial BDs, but I won't put my bets on working flawlessly. Someday, maybe.
My LG drive came with a playback software (Cyberlink something-something) that plays just every BD I've thrown at it.
I don't need to do backups of my discs. I'd be nuts if I'd try backing up my DVD and BD collection. Plus, you can't (easily) backup most videogames, would this be a reason to abandon them as well? Plus, they're proprietary, OMG.

Guys, even commercial DVD and VHS had some more or less effective form of copy protection back then

Simpsons, what season? You didn't mentioned it. Older TV stuff can't be easily upgraded to HD without having to create new masters from the source material, which is either film or when dealing with animation, the original cels. So I wouldn't be surprised if the first Simpsons seasons won't get a true HD update, they even looked pretty blurry on the DVD releases I know of.

TLDR : Stop whining! I'm gonna take a bath.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 09:21:59 PM by ClodBuster »

I said no, no, no

esadajr

« Reply #3131 on: March 16, 2017, 10:46:18 AM »
Seasons 14 and 16, I made the mistake of getting them on Bluray, no improvements over the DVD versions (got those later). I'll make another topic in Chit-Chat.

Let's not derail from the Sack. Just when you think they have nothing else to talk about, bam! they surprise you. Atari 8 bit, 2600, DOS games, the possibilities are endless.

Gaming since 1985

Joe Redifer

« Reply #3132 on: March 16, 2017, 02:47:43 PM »
Thanks ClodBuster! We definitely appreciate it. As for DVD it would not only cost too much to make in addition to the Blu-ray, but it'd have to come on two or 3 discs and be totally re-authored. I've never been happy with the way DVD compression looks and I used to author DVDs professionally. If you have a PS3 or PS4, press the SQUARE button at any time when watching the Blu-ray (except when you're in a menu. Won't work there for reasons that will become obvious).

esadajr

« Reply #3133 on: March 17, 2017, 09:11:44 AM »
Thanks CloudBuster! We definitely appreciate it. As for DVD it would not only cost too much to make in addition to the Blu-ray, but it'd have to come on two or 3 discs and be totally re-authored. I've never been happy with the way DVD compression looks and I used to author DVDs professionally. If you have a PS3 or PS4, press the SQUARE button at any time when watching the Blu-ray (except when you're in a menu. Won't work there for reasons that will become obvious).

More like wishful thinking on my part I guess. That's what I thought, it wouldn't be economically viable for you guys and other technical / artistic considerations. I respect that. The fact it is even available in physical media is awesome and appreciated.

Now you got me curious with the Square button thing. Ok, I'll get the blu ray just cause I like ya a lot (don't take that too serious).
Gaming since 1985

TR0N

« Reply #3134 on: March 18, 2017, 07:11:29 PM »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec