Author Topic: Game Sack  (Read 72193 times)

Black Tiger

Re: Game Sack
« Reply #3150 on: March 23, 2017, 01:32:45 PM »
I think that a good topic would be "Games that killed franchises for me". There's no wrong answers there.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Gentlegamer

« Reply #3151 on: March 24, 2017, 12:44:31 AM »
Mass Effect 3

TR0N

« Reply #3152 on: April 01, 2017, 07:40:07 PM »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

cr8zykuban0

« Reply #3153 on: April 01, 2017, 09:08:23 PM »
Even though the ps1 was more successful, saturn had a lot of potential and cranked out some amazing arcade ports, sadly many that never came out to the states :/

Punch

« Reply #3154 on: April 02, 2017, 12:09:17 AM »
Saturn would have been as good as the PSX if they didn't make such a complicated machine to use and they stopped fighting with Sega of America for dumb reasons. N64 would probably be able to win over both if they went for optical based media because their hardware was badass.

I didn't watch the video fully yet but I saw the comments and I can't believe people are using the old "N64 has better software overall, most PS1 games were garbage" argument. The library's so huge you could probably have 5 good games for every 1 game on the N64. Development was cheaper for sony's console overall and that's why there's a good amount of shitty games, but that also means that there's a lot of decent to great games in all budget ranges to choose from.

Gypsy

« Reply #3155 on: April 02, 2017, 11:09:50 AM »
Amazing story in FF7? Well I guess the video did get posted to youtube on April 1st.  :dance:

Oh and I would like to add, I enjoyed the Franchise Killers episode. Thanks Joe for the fun content.

I didn't watch the video fully yet but I saw the comments and I can't believe people are using the old "N64 has better software overall, most PS1 games were garbage" argument. The library's so huge you could probably have 5 good games for every 1 game on the N64. Development was cheaper for sony's console overall and that's why there's a good amount of shitty games, but that also means that there's a lot of decent to great games in all budget ranges to choose from.

Typical bullshit that keeps getting spewed so some accept it as fact. The PS1 library slaughters the N64 library just like you said, on sheer numbers. Hell I don't even really keep any N64 games around...

Dicer

« Reply #3156 on: April 02, 2017, 11:35:34 AM »
I've had more fun with the Saturn overall, Superior 2D non-warbly 3D, and games better suited to my tastes...

seieienbu

« Reply #3157 on: April 02, 2017, 02:44:16 PM »
I think if I only had one console from that generation, I would have to choose PS1 with the Saturn in a relatively close second place.  The N64 on the other hand?  That's a console in a very distant third place and that's primarily due to the library of games on the platform. 

Perhaps due to the small library, N64 games feel very homogeneous to me.  The system doesn't have the same number of unique experimental games.  One of my favorite things about that console generation was the number of games trying to figure out things like 2.5D levels, working 2D sprites into 3D worlds, and games looking so unique at the time.  Looking back, I don't believe that the 3D games from that era held up as well as 2D games from that generation or earlier.  On the N64 though?  It felt like every game is by and large a blurry 3D mess.  I don't have the same feelings of the experimental games on the Saturn or the PS1 so I just don't like the library as much overall.

It would have been interesting to see this sort of video include the N64 too, but this definitely leaves room for a sequel-ish video down the road.  Either way, it was an enjoyable episode.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Groover

« Reply #3158 on: April 02, 2017, 03:54:13 PM »
That was another fun episode.

I would also choose PlayStation but Saturn is something that I keep discovering gems. I wish I was finding them in 2000. I really find myself playing the Saturn more these days than the PlayStation.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #3159 on: April 02, 2017, 06:43:37 PM »
Great episode, as always.

Does anybody know the technical reason behind the PlayStation's signature texture warping? And is this behavior found on every 3D game, or are there ways to eliminate it?

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

Punch

« Reply #3160 on: April 02, 2017, 11:27:05 PM »
Great episode, as always.

Does anybody know the technical reason behind the PlayStation's signature texture warping? And is this behavior found on every 3D game, or are there ways to eliminate it?

If I recall correctly you had your 3D stuff projected into 2D before texturing was applied, and since you can't do perspective correction without knowing the depth of the vertices, the PS1 did only a cheap affine texture mapping. I don't think anything can be done (except in emulation maybe)

EDIT: Back in 1995 (an extremely boring game that totally misses the point of what it's trying to recreate) does the "PS1 distortion" quite well.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 11:41:17 PM by Punch »

TDIRunner

« Reply #3161 on: April 03, 2017, 03:16:29 AM »
Awesome video.  This was probably my favorite video game generation, or at least the one I have the most memories of.  I was definitely a PS1 guy during that time, but even back then I would have happily owned a Saturn if I had the funds to own more than one console at a time, but such things were pretty unheard of back then. 
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Gypsy

« Reply #3162 on: April 03, 2017, 04:27:09 AM »
I think if I only had one console from that generation, I would have to choose PS1 with the Saturn in a relatively close second place.  The N64 on the other hand?  That's a console in a very distant third place and that's primarily due to the library of games on the platform.

Tough call. Complete library I think I'd lean towards the Saturn. I certainly have way more Saturn games. Importing it is easier (I have a Japanese PS2 I'm talking about entry level, all you need is a 4 in 1, gameshark or pseudo saturn). Of course importing is a much bigger key for Saturn ownership in the first place (not unlike the PCE). US library only I'd take PS1.

What isn't a tough call is the N64. Let's say I only get 3 consoles from the gen. I am taking PS1, Saturn and....PC-FX. It's not even close really. PC-FX has unique experiences that were never ported elsewhere. In comparison just about anything I could want to play for N64 (not much to begin with) is available on another system.

Digi.k

« Reply #3163 on: April 03, 2017, 11:25:03 AM »
good video.  I've watched it like 3 times now.

Wished more saturn games could have been shown on there.

crazydean

« Reply #3164 on: April 03, 2017, 11:54:47 AM »

Tough call. Complete library I think I'd lean towards the Saturn. I certainly have way more Saturn games. Importing it is easier (I have a Japanese PS2 I'm talking about entry level, all you need is a 4 in 1, gameshark or pseudo saturn). Of course importing is a much bigger key for Saturn ownership in the first place (not unlike the PCE). US library only I'd take PS1.

What isn't a tough call is the N64. Let's say I only get 3 consoles from the gen. I am taking PS1, Saturn and....PC-FX. It's not even close really. PC-FX has unique experiences that were never ported elsewhere. In comparison just about anything I could want to play for N64 (not much to begin with) is available on another system.

I see no one wants to talk about the Jaguar CD.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.